Computer Help forum

General discussion

Very Confusing Problem, Please help!

Ok I just bought a brand new Dell, It Came with XP Home, I have a XP professional CD that I bought in a package with my last PC, and the guy at best buy told me I would be able to use it with any pc's I own, which is true because I have. Now the problem is, I have upgraded from HOME TO XP, and it works fine, but when I try to perform a fresh Install it will go to the beginning of the set up where it says Setup is starting windows, and then it will Blue Screen of Death

It is a 2.80GHZ Intel Celeron D, 80GB HD, 512mb of ram. When I start the computer though it says This drive is controller by the RAID BIOS, could that have something to do with it?

I also ran a virus scan with kaspersky, and ran scans with spybot and Ad-Aware which came up with nothing. I defragged and I ran scandisk also, to no avail

Someone please help, I need this computer ready for my son by christmas!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Very Confusing Problem, Please help!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Very Confusing Problem, Please help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That's proper (and confusing at first)

In reply to: Very Confusing Problem, Please help!

It's all explained in one sentance.

-> Microsoft doesn't supply drivers for your machine.

Never has, appears to never will.

When you install Windows (any version) you have to follow or create what at first appears to be an arcane process of finding all your drivers plus added bonus steps if you happen to have SATA connected hard disks. There is an extra step here because XP doesn't have SATA support on the Microsoft CD.

Here's an example install -> http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/faq/sata_detect.html

Hope this turns on the light for you.

Bob

Collapse -
thanks

Bob, thanks for your help, I don't even get to that screen though, I get blue screened and it says "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down "

Collapse -
Tell more about "have a XP professional CD that I bought in

In reply to: thanks

"have a XP professional CD that I bought in a package with my last PC"

Describe in gritty detail this CD. It is again proper for a Microsoft XP CD to possible blue screen on boot since you may have a partition over 127GB and XP Pro (note no SP1 or SP2) could lose it's digital bearings and do that. There are also other reasons but let's hear more about this CD.

Bob

Collapse -
ok

In reply to: Tell more about "have a XP professional CD that I bought in

what would you like to hear? I;m not going to give you my cd key, if you want to call best buy and ask them, maybe they can describe in detail the phone number is 1-519-967-2070 thats the best buy I bought it from, and Also the HD is only 80 gb as previously posted, not any higher

Collapse -
Retail, can with some PC, Microsoft label?

In reply to: ok

If you can't or won't describe in gritty detail the Windows CD (no, don't share the key) then the discussion is over. Take the CD back to best buy and pay for the geeksquad pummeling.

Here we'll charge you nothing but you have to tell all (but the CD Key of course.)

Bob

Collapse -
Another nutty issue. USB devices. On some machines.

In reply to: Retail, can with some PC, Microsoft label?

If you leave USB devices plugged in, the Windows XP CD when booted will eventually fail as you describe.

But the details are sparse on both the CD you used as well as the gritty details of the machine and what's plugged in where.

Bob

Collapse -
BSOD on Windows set-up

XP Pro .... retail? If so with retail you can transfer the license to another system provided the original install is removed. If not you will run into MS's EULA.

RAID controller may be causing this issue. You will have to address this issue in the BIOS (F2 on boot). Being a DELL you may not have any control in turning off this feature, nor finding the drivers XP needs from DELL.

It also sounds as if you are not performing the install correctly. At one point you mention an up-grade, then after the failed fresh install you scanned for pests and performed disk maint. A correct install would not allow you to perform these tasks, unless you re-installed/upgraded.

Luck

BIll

Collapse -
yes

In reply to: BSOD on Windows set-up

Bill, I tried performing a fresh install which did not work, I got the blue screen, so then I just updated from Home to PRO, which worked, the upgrade works fine, it's the fresh install where I get the blue screen, so yes it would let me perform that if I only upgraded

Collapse -
upgrade but no fresh install

In reply to: yes

Strange ....

Dell's recovery disk may contain the needed RAID drivers. If Dell has gone the way of HP/Compaq, E-machines and others by creating a disk image for recovery. Then an upgrade can be performed as all needed drivers are loaded.

If you decide to start over the needed RAID drivers may be found at the DELL web site or disable the RAID controllers in the BIOS. If your HDD is SATA make sure that they are enabled and set as first boot device.

Luck

BIll

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.