Computer Help forum

General discussion

Vertical lines on screen

by 9C0UR4M / January 25, 2011 11:41 PM PST

Hi everyone. Im new to CNET and in serious need of assistance.

Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 920N
Computer: HP Pavilion t3625.uk

Im having problems with my monitor. I was on the Sky Sports website watching a video when it happened. The monitor suddenly got the lines on it, then started turning on and off (everything on screen had frozen except the mouse which I was moving around when the screen would blink on). I restarted the computer manually because I couldnt restart it properly. When it got to the starting screen, there were still lines down it, that distorted the screen, (but not the menu that controlled brightness and that sort of thing) and after this screen usually comes a black screen which says the computer is going to "start windows normally" which usually disappers after, literally, 2 seconds. This screen however was now severly distorted. I could barely make out the start windows normally part. After pressing enter, the computer moved to the Windows XP loading screen, but it wouldnt get any further than this and it would freeze which meant I would have to restart it manually (and now it doesnt even get there, it restarts by itself straight after pressing ennter at the start windows normally screen). My cousin whos pretty good with computers says its a video card issue but Im unsure on what to do. I bought a new VGA cord but the screen was still messed up. I tried hooking my computer up to the TV but it still looked the same. When I disconnect the monitor from the computer, there are no lines and no distortions; everythings normal. I dont think its the fans/the computer over heating because the computer doesnt get hot and fans do work. Im baffled.

Could realllly use some help lol...

PS I also have pictures if it helps...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Vertical lines on screen
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Vertical lines on screen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Fairly Straight Forward..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 25, 2011 11:53 PM PST

Of course, it's possible the problem is video driver related and you could check for, and install the latest video driver for your card but that's a long shot. Still, I'd give it a try.

The next step is to borrow and swap in a known, good monitor and if it works correctly, then you need to replace your current monitor.. If the known, good monitor also shows the problem, then you need to replace the video card on the computer.

You can also test your current monitor by plugging it in to a different computer. If it works fine on the second computer, and a known, good monitor doesn't work correctly on the problem machine, then it's certainly a video card issue.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thanks Grif!
by 9C0UR4M / January 27, 2011 8:36 PM PST

I think I better go and get a new video card. Im having trouble finding one. Im not really sure what/where to buy. My video card is NVIDIA Geforce 7500 LE with TurboCache, where would I find this (tried ebay and found nothing)? Do I have to get this exact one to replace the ruined one?

Collapse -
No
by Jimmy Greystone / January 27, 2011 9:19 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks Grif!

No, there are really only about two things you need to concern yourself with when getting a new video card.

#1: Connection type: PCI, AGP, PCI-E
#3: Power supply demands

Make sure you know which one you have for #1 and get something the same, and then find out how many watts your power supply can put out, and make sure any video card you get says it needs a power supply of that capacity or lower. Otherwise you'll find your system rebooting a lot because you tripped a circuit breaker in the power supply.

Collapse -
Thanks Jimmy!
by 9C0UR4M / January 28, 2011 3:04 AM PST
In reply to: No

How do I find out whether its PCI, AGP or PCI-E and how many watts my power puts out (sorry, Im a reeeaaal novice...)? Does memory matter?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!