Phones forum

General discussion

verizon vs tmobile

by J0nathan001 / April 2, 2007 7:32 AM PDT

I'm with verizon, and I was wondering if I should switch to tmobile. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: verizon vs tmobile
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: verizon vs tmobile
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
verizon vs tmobile
by gartside / April 2, 2007 9:03 AM PDT
In reply to: verizon vs tmobile

I have been with TMobile since 05 and things went well. Since last year, it seems like the tides have turned on me as their customer support has been horrid with frequent blackouts upon which the cust. support has suggested I got a landline if I wanted reliability.... they will tell you one thing and do another and last but not least, they changed their network and when I called to tell them about my phone woes, I was told that my phone was old and I had to go buy a new phone from them....

Cell phone companies and quality lags far behind that abroad and I wish it was better....I guess the cell phone companies are made in Detroit too.

Collapse -
Why?
by Ros2004 / April 2, 2007 10:31 AM PDT

Why do you want to switch? I don't know anything about T-Mobile but I just switched to Verizon from Cingular because Verizon gives better coverage.

Collapse -
verizon vs tmobile
by kalbo08 / April 2, 2007 11:06 AM PDT

Im with verizon, most of my friends are Tmobile, and they complain about getting no signal. While myself I get coverage from places they cant get. especially underground.

Collapse -
Verizon vs Tmobile
by myth90045 / April 3, 2007 1:51 AM PDT

It may just depend on why you want to switch. If it is for the phones I say go with Tmo or cing. But service wise, Id say go with Verizon. For me, I switched from Cing to Verizon, mainly because the majority of the people I call are on Verizon so that helps out with the bill. But I know there are some cool phones coming out for verizon in the near future so that will help me stay with verizon. But mainly it just depends on your reasons for wanting to switch. good luck

Collapse -
yes
by Davycrockett345 / April 3, 2007 12:23 PM PDT

I had to switch to t-mobile after a nasty 324 dollar bill. The main reason that i switched was because free text messaging for familes for on 20 bucks a month

thats for every one in your family to have texting and multi media text messaging

the only thing that i really would like back was the service area. t-mobile hasnt switched to the new 3g service yet ( but will this year ) so their coverage is not up to par.
dont get me wrong though they still get really great coverage

and not resrticted phones!!! file transfer for bluetooth rocks!

Collapse -
Coverage of Value
by quest00 / April 3, 2007 4:37 PM PDT

I have Cingular go my friend a Tmobile phone under my name. While I had the Tmobile phone I could not help compare the service coverage of the two. Pretty much everywhere I went I had full service bars with my Cingular phone. However, with the Tmobile phone I saw like 3 out of 5 bars, sometimes less, rarely more. Now that was almost a year ago so they may be better. I'm know Verison has great coverage but they are more expensive. Still I love Cingular, I have reception in mountains, though barely in my bedroom.

Collapse -
Verizon VS T-Mobile
by Tenichi1 / April 4, 2007 7:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Coverage of Value

Per consumer report... Verizon is top#1 then TMobile. For the other carrier forget them.

Decision, Decision... I had TMOBILE for years, because it is in the GSM technology and it carry the SIM card for unlock phones. Where you can buy SIM card and pre-paid mobile card in other country while traveling and cheaper. CDMA which Verizon and Sprint used are different technology and does not carry advance phones. Once again you can note use Verizon phone with Cingular or TMOBILE.

Both carried customer where rank #1. Since I had been TMOBILE customer for years... they acknowledge my dedication, and they are always on top to get me the answer either right or wrong asnwer, hehe. I had learned with all carriers, when you have problem, the store can get you the right answer faster and better!

I love mobile phone technology and I continue to stay with TMOBILE.

Collapse -
Stay with VZW
by Jkrowling1990 / April 4, 2007 10:02 AM PDT

It all depends on your reasons.
If you want go signal and coverage then stay with VZW
but if u want newer phones right away and bluetooth transfer then go with t-moblie.
VZW has great phone but they take awhile for them to come out like the Motorola MOTOSLVR L7c cingular and t-mobile had that phone since it came out but it took VZW 6 months to come out with that phone.
i have VZW and even though VZW blocks the bluetooth transfer i still prefer it better then t-moblie because it give better signal. the problem with t-mobile is they give u millions of mins for a very low price but thats no good if u are always have bad signal.
When my contact ends im switching to Cingular it's better then VZW and way cheaper plus they have roll over so thats even better.
and there phones with bluetooth allow u to transfer files such as ringtones and pictures and everything else u can think of.
well i hope this will help u out alot.

Collapse -
Verizon vs Tmobile
by chuburnaman / April 6, 2007 11:27 AM PDT

This choice really depends on what makes the most sense for you.
--T Mobile offers great phones, great programs for minutes and reasonable customer service. This includes the abililty to place others in your fav 5, regardless of what company their service is with. If you do not travel much, live in a major city and don't mind the frustration of having some dead spots, then this one may make sense.
--Verizon has absolutely the best reception on a nationwide basis.
I have Verizon and have never found a dead spot. Customer Service is excellent and their phones are not always the most technologically advance, but are good. Minute plans don't match TMobile.

If you do any traveling/roaming, then be ready to accept some frustration with TMobile. If reception/service is most important to you, don't switch.

Collapse -
weighing in
by dlarson4245 / April 6, 2007 3:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Verizon vs Tmobile

I have to say something about Cingular: I have been one of their customers for about 5 years now, and although I have problems with their support - especially their lack of it for unlocked phones you did not buy from them - I have found that rollover minutes and coverage alone are worth it. Rollover minutes are something that I am surprised that all carriers have not adopted yet. They're great. It's a money saver. The only time it wouldn't matter, I suppose, is if you always use every single minute in your plan every single month, however if you do that each month you should scale up your plan anyway. All you need is a week or two of under-utilization and instead of getting screwed because you still have to pay the freight rain or shine, you get to keep those unused minutes. Plus which, Cingular has great coverage.

Collapse -
I would go for Cingular for the best of both worlds...
by FadedStars / April 7, 2007 2:51 PM PDT

...If it's available in your area.

Verizon has the superior coverage but, if you want better phones, they're not the ones to go to. They also block bluetooth, which can be a problem if you don't have a data transfer cable. their plans are also pretty expensive.

T-mobile will allow you to switch phones whenever you want as long as there's a slot for the sim card. They don't have the best service but they will allow you to use blue tooth. Their plans are also pretty decent.

Cingular is the best, in my opinion. They use sim cards, don't block bluetooth capabilities and have great service. Also, they have this rollover service where they let you keep your unused mintutes so there's less chance of you going over. Also, I think they have the better phones.

Collapse -
Verizon=better coverage but TMobile=better customer service
by Doit2it42 / April 8, 2007 12:12 AM PDT

I had TMobile for 3 years (SE T610 phone). Coverage was good, but I couldn't use my phone inside buildings. Might have been phone but other TMobile people have said same thing with different phones. When I first switched from Cricket to TMobile it took TMobile over a month to port my number. It finaly took a call to Cricket to get it done (Cricket's port process was different from other carriers in TN). On my next TMobile bill I had a credit for $35 for the delay (I hadn't asked for it or complained about the delay to TMobile...WOW!) I switched to Verizon a year ago cause I wanted a new phone and didn't like TMobile's phone line at the time. Verizon's coverage is so much better than TMobile in Nashville, TN and I can even use my phone inside and in places where I had no service before.

Collapse -
tmobile vs Verizon
by irishtk / April 8, 2007 1:45 AM PDT

I have a t-mobile phone and the coverage sucks. It's ok in a major city but if you plan on traveling...you may want to stay with Verizon. I took a trip to California and found dead spots in many locations while my friend who has Cingular had no problems.

Collapse -
T-Mobile HAS FREE ROAMING!!!!!
by monkeyman12 / April 10, 2007 10:39 AM PDT

I say you should definitely switch 1.T-mobile is way cheaper. 2. every T-mobile plan has free roaming so even if Verizon has better service you will be able to use your T-mobile phone anywhere Verizon (or any phone service provider) has coverage with out paying roaming charges. 3. I have had T-mobile and Verizon and T-Mobile's customer service is just as good as Verizon's

Collapse -
You are trying to give advise
by neocon / April 11, 2007 5:01 AM PDT

And you have no clue what you are saying? T-Mobile will work wherever Verizon has coverage? Where did you get your facts from? Really, you shouldn't be giving advise if you don't know what you are talking about.

Collapse -
My source
by monkeyman12 / April 11, 2007 6:45 AM PDT
Collapse -
I don't think that's what it means
by Ros2004 / April 11, 2007 6:56 AM PDT
In reply to: My source

Just because there's no roaming charge doesn't mean to say that T-Mobile has coverage everywhere that Verizon (or any other network) has. I don't think it works that way.

Collapse -
Do you know what roaming is?
by monkeyman12 / April 11, 2007 11:02 AM PDT

if a T-mobile phone is in a area that doesn't receive a signal from T-mobile but receives a signal from Verizon (or any other network)then you can use the other company's network on your T-mobile phone That is called roaming most cell phone companys charge you extra to do that but T-mobile doesn't. I have a T-mobile phone and I travel alot so my phone is roaming alot and I have used it while it is roaming and I don't get charged any extra fees

Collapse -
Nope
by neocon / April 11, 2007 11:57 AM PDT

Ros2004 and I are right. Roaming means, if you get service, you will not pay roaming charges. If you don't get service, you cannot use your phone. Just check out the coverage map of T-Mobile and Verizon and Cingular and Sprint. They are all different. T Mobile has the least coverage of all major carriers in the USA. No roaming means, if you have service in your phone, you are covered by the national one rate plan (thus no roaming). Also remember, Verizon uses CDMA and T Mobile uses GSM. T Mobile might be able to roam, without paying roaming fees on Cingular network, but not on a CDMA (Verizon and Sprint) network.

Collapse -
Most others don't charge for roaming either
by Ros2004 / April 11, 2007 11:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Nope

Neocon explained it. If you get service on someone else's network, "no roaming charges" means you won't be charged for it. However. you won't always get service.

But then, most of the major cell phone service providers no longer charge roaming for anywhere in the continental U.S. Cingular and Verizon don't. However, I grant you that T-Mobile's least expensive package is probably cheaper than than either Cingular and Verizon's offerings.

Collapse -
roaming
by jrodgers57 / April 17, 2007 6:13 AM PDT

Thanks, Ros! I always wondered what roaming "really" was...

Collapse -
Roaming
by kaylus / March 15, 2008 1:27 PM PDT

You may not think that is how it work, but thinking about how something works and knowing are two quite different animals.

From the FCC

"?Roaming? is the term that describes a wireless phone?s ability to make and receive calls outside the home calling area under your service plan. Roaming occurs when a subscriber of one wireless service provider uses the facilities of a second provider. While the subscriber usually has no pre-existing agreement with the second provider to handle calls, the subscriber?s provider may have a ?roaming agreement? with the second provider. Under that agreement, the second provider agrees to handle calls placed by subscribers of the first provider and vice versa. When your phone is roaming, an indicator light on your phone may display the word ?roam.? On occasion, your handset will not display a roaming indicator, even though it is in a roaming area. Also, some handset software needs to be updated monthly. Often this can be done by simply pressing a few buttons on the handset. Keeping that software updated can increase reliability and reduce incorrect roaming charges."

When you are roaming you are using someone elses access points. The "coverage" maps are loosely based to display where coverage occurs for the access points belonging or affiliated directly with the service provider.

Very rarely have I been dropped from someone elses network, whether with my Cingular, Verizon, or T-Mobile phones. (PDA, Work, Home). Most cell-phone towers interoperate with each-other quite efficiently, though I have seen underhanded tactics like getting low-prio. on calls made from Service provider X while in the vicinity of Z. For example, X phone gets "All circuits are busy 75% of the time" while Z phone goes straight in. This is still a rare occurence.

The best display of this is when I took my T-Mobile to Guam. Guam does not have T-Mobile or very many other networks. I called Guam Cell to ask if it would work before checking and they will tell you that you are roaming on their network and using their services, and will be charged big fees and to us their service which charges long distance to call back to Mainland.

I turned on my phone, got the ROAMING tag, hit the web and saw that I was not going to be charged for ROAMING. I used my phone for more than 900 night and weekend (free) minutes and never saw an additional charge. I constantly called Mainland US and while in the US I always call Guam. Never once have I seen a fee, whether I was in Florida on T-Mobile network, South Dakota on (AT&T or Sprint?) network, or Guam on GuamCell networks.

I have not yet lost signal except in places where my co-workers all lose signal with their carriers as well. And when my T-Mobile is out of range, so are my Cingular and Verizon. Go figure.

Make of this what you want. FCC.gov has a nice blurb on it..

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/cellcoverage.html

Later!

Collapse -
Verizon vs Tmobile
by Tenichi1 / April 11, 2007 12:09 PM PDT
In reply to: My source

From the TMOBILE Svcs presentation. When you are not in the TMOBILE zone, it will pick up other services from other carrier. Which is called roaming and nt paid for any more fee. Actually TMOBILE was the former vociestream, and the agent at TMOBILE lend the roaming to other carrier.

All together, all carrier let you use your service for 30days, try it on your favorite place and does it work? HOme is the most important place. If a service work, stay with them. If you go over the minutes, get the suitable allotement without paying more. You do not use much? then pre-pay is the best for you, then dont have to pay monthly fee and recahrge your phone as needed.

GOOD lUCK!

Collapse -
There is no way Tmobile is better
by Stockalam / May 15, 2008 3:10 AM PDT

Verizon Wireless is committed to offering customers the most reliable service on the nation's best wireless voice and data network.
Nation?s Most Reliable Wireless Network

Verizon Wireless has invested more than $45 billion since the company was formed to increase the coverage and capacity of its national network and to add new services. Verizon Wireless currently serves 67.2 million customers.
?Test Man? Isn?t Just a Commercial Character

The company's 'most reliable network' claim is based on network studies performed by real-life test men and test women who inspired the company's national advertising campaign. These engineers conduct more than 3 million voice call attempts and more than 16 million data tests annually on Verizon Wireless' and other national wireless carriers' networks while traveling almost 1 million miles of the most frequently traveled roadways nationwide in specially equipped, company-owned quality test vehicles. Meet our real-life Test Men and Women.
Ensuring the Network Meets High Call Quality Standards

Each voice call is tabulated on computers inside the test vehicle as either a successful call, an ineffective attempt (a call that is blocked) or a lost call (a call that connects, but drops). Data testing includes file downloads, uploads and web browsing; each test is likewise scored based upon the ability to establish the data session and the ability to complete the task. After the test vehicles complete their routes, the network teams download the test results onto computers at our network test centers for compilation and analysis.
The Results

The voice network reliability test results have consistently shown that the rate of ineffective attempts for the Verizon Wireless national network, in major metropolitan centers and some remote areas, is lower than any other national carrier. The test results also indicate that voice calls that connect on the Verizon Wireless network are more likely to stay connected for the duration of the call. Read examples of our regional reliability studies. Similarly, the data network reliability test results establish that Verizon Wireless has the nation's most reliable wireless broadband network, allowing Verizon Wireless to perform sessions that involve connecting to the network, downloading, uploading, and web browsing at a greater rate of success than its national competitors.
Now Customers Get To Take Their Own ?Test Drive?

For the first time, wireless consumers get to be their own test man or woman by ?taking the Verizon Wireless network for a spin? to experience the Verizon Wireless network on their own. Verizon Wireless is the only major carrier to offer a 30-day test drive of its network. If at any point during the 30-day Test Drive customers are not satisfied with their experience and take their number to another wireless carrier, Verizon Wireless will refund their money for their voice calls, equipment, activation fee and taxes, as well as release them from their contract without early termination fee when they return their phone within the Test Drive period.

Collapse -
verizon vs tmobile
by stingmom8 / April 10, 2007 11:18 AM PDT

We had Cingular for 8 yrs. After a completely horrible, miserable 2006, we decided to cut our losses (very expensive losses to be sure!!!!)and switched to T-Mobile after talking w/others. We have a family plan w/1000 min between 3 phones for less than $100/mo-this includes any texting by the kids or downloading games or ringtones for me. We have only had T-Mobile for 2 mos but am soooo happy that we switched!
I have not experienced any of the problems w/signals that others have. There is one place that I am consistently unable to get a signal and that is in parts of my building at work-I was never able to get a signal through Cingular, either,and this is reported by all or most employees to be a problem w/their phones as well, regardless of carrier.

Collapse -
Depends on what you are looking for and need...
by injustifiiable / April 18, 2007 11:34 AM PDT

I've had T-Mobile since 2002 (when they were Voicestream)and in all have had a good experience.

What I like about them:

*GSM network with free roaming (I even went to NC and was roaming on SunCom's network and didn't have to pay anything)

*They've let me unlock every phone I've ever had with no hassles...since I've been a customer for so long. Has come in handy when I was ready for a new one and wanted to sell it!

*Customer Service is pretty good, both in store and on the phone (One of the guys at my local store even greets me by name.)

*I pay around $80.00 a month for 600 minutes, unlimited messages (both txt and picture), and unlimited data. Most companies only offer 450-500 minutes for $39 bucks and the data package includes HotSpot, which use with my PDA and laptop a lot.

*1 YEAR CONTRACTS!!! Well, they used to do these by default but nowadays you have to ask. You will usually lose a rebate if they offer one, but either way the price of the phone is not that much more expensive than the two year plan. This works great especially if you like the latest and greatest every year.

Network is pretty decent where ever I go, so I have no complaints there.

I do have a couple, though.

*Lack of 3G...ugh...Verizon's and Sprint has me beat here...

*They get phones a little bit too late in the game...or not at all. Hell, I wouldn't mind a Treo 750 right now...

*Slow EDGE...EDGE is supposed to give you around 180-220Kbps...I get around 56Kbps...kinda sad.

Someone else mentioned this...but it's pretty important....T-Mobile actually gives you 14 days to try out the service. It's really the best way to find out if the service is right for you...

Hope that helps.

Collapse -
Got a call from my son ---
by ilgoldstein / May 17, 2008 10:04 AM PDT

A couple of years ago I got a call from my son from his Verizon phone to mine. "Guess where I am" he said. I already knew. His scout troop was climbing Mt. Whitney, the highest point in the Continental United States. Those who had Verizon were able to call home. Other had no signal. Can you hear me now?

Collapse -
T-Mobile In Cities
by Edison4589 / October 1, 2015 7:32 AM PDT

Lost of tourists use T-Mobile (have used and read forums on sites that sell them) and unanimously reception great in major cities and patchy anywhere not densely populated. Verizon is unavailable to foreigners phones I think. If it was most would go with them because of better reception.

Link to shop removed by moderator.

Post was last edited on October 1, 2015 7:47 AM PDT

Collapse -
Thread closed
by birdmantd Forum moderator / October 1, 2015 3:14 PM PDT
In reply to: T-Mobile In Cities

Time to shut down this thread since it was started in 2007. Feel free to open a new thread if anyone has something new to contribute.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?