Phones forum

General discussion

Verizon vs T-Mobile (I know about Cingular!)

by mrjersh / March 4, 2005 6:40 AM PST

Maybe this has more to do with GSM vs. CDMA. I am in San Francisco, CA but also travel to the east coast (NJ/NY). My main concern is with clarity/reception. I like a nice phone, but I will mostly use it for making calls, not taking photos. Does anyone have any preferences? Right now I have Verizon and I like them, but T-Mobile does have some cheaper plans. I may stay with Verizon since I have the "New every 2", but just wanted to see. I have NO intention of moving to Cingular or Sprint. I would actually give up a cell phone before going back to Sprint!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Verizon vs T-Mobile (I know about Cingular!)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Verizon vs T-Mobile (I know about Cingular!)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Stay with Verizon
by ddegrappo / March 7, 2005 10:24 PM PST

Trust me....I've had them all... Verizon is by far the best cell phone supplier with the best networks out there. I switched to Verizon 1 year ago and I have NEVER had a problem with my phone and I travel all over the country. Prior to that I was dropping calls with T-MOBILE, Cingular/ATT and Sprint? Dont even think about it.

Dont try and fix whats not broken.

Collapse -
help me pleezzz
by Blessed4Life / March 8, 2005 3:03 AM PST
In reply to: Stay with Verizon

I need help with activating a sprint phone that was alreasy used by a friend of mine but i want it in my name and with all my info. can u please help me

Collapse -
Stay with Verizon
by dave1973 / March 8, 2005 10:36 AM PST

I agree. Stay with Verizon Wireless. I also have Verizon Wireless and it works in rural areas where T-Mobile only has coverage in major cities and only hugs the interstates when providing coverage in rural areas. If you travel to rural areas, Verizon Wireless is the service to go because CDMA has been around a lot longer in the USA than GSM has. Also with more services using CDMA, your Verizon Wireless phone will pickup the other carrier's signal. I've heard from a couple of people I know who had T-Mobile in NW Indiana and a couple from Green Bay Wisconsin with Einstein telling me that their GSM phones don't always pickup the other carrier's signal. If that's a problem with GSM, then I'm glad I use a CDMA phone.

Collapse -
Better All Around
by tkmtech / March 8, 2005 11:00 PM PST

As other 2 replies advise Verizon has far superior coverage. I would not use ATT (Cingular)or Sprint since not only coverage is not as good but both have terrible customer service and support. I have not had T-Mobile or Nextel but know the coverage is not as good.

Since you're looking just for basic phone service and not all the bells and whistles (additional service, features like Bluetooth, etc), Verizon would be the clear choice.

Some of the advanced services with Verizon are not what they should be and don't get a phone with Bluetooth.

Collapse -
TRUE
by locust43 / March 24, 2005 6:05 PM PST

This is very true, we had T-mobile and they had the worst coverage, we live in Southern Alabama and they have almost no coverage, with verizon we get it all over the state,
Bathsheba Vernanot

Collapse -
Sprint also uses CDMA.
by nycboy0156 / June 6, 2005 7:56 PM PDT

In my opionion they are better than verizon, they are cheaper, and their customer service has greatly improved over what it was 3 years ago when I initally started a plan with them. I am now using Cingular and have had no dropped calls at all, I wish they had not switched to GSM but all of Europe is using that standard, so they might as well. To back up service I got a Sprint plan because they were there even in the most desolate areas of the desert in Arizona and New Mexico. It roams onto old analog cell service so that if you need service on one of those roads you can get a call through. I hardly use customer service so it's not that big an issue to me, but again I must tell you that I have noted a big improvement in sprint's customer service reps.

Collapse -
KEEP YOUR VERIZON
by locust43 / March 24, 2005 6:03 PM PST

T-mobile has been our worst experience ever, we could not get coverage half the places that the map said it would, they are also very rude, we hade to file a complaint with the FCC and BBB because of their horrible coustomer service, we now have verizon and they are much better than Crap mobile, T-mobile has cheaper plans becuase you cant use their service half the places you probaly go. My suggestion is KEEP verizon!,
Bathsheba Vernanot

Collapse -
About T-Mobile
by PhoneDepot / March 24, 2005 11:58 PM PST
In reply to: KEEP YOUR VERIZON

I dont think there is any question about verizon having premium coverage, but if you are talking about major residential and business areas like fNY and San Francisco, just about everyone has good coverage in the city.

What I would recommend doing is grab a few zip codes for the areas that you are going to use the phone and go to a T Mobile dealer. They have a tool called PCC (Personal coverage check) It is a surveyed map showing signal stregnth. Keep in mind fair isnt always fair if you know what I mean but good and great not a problem should be crystal clear.

Collapse -
Tmobile
by gemaster34 / April 13, 2005 11:39 AM PDT

Tmobile is great get it and when you do speak to me on their free mobile to mobile and T-mobile as a New Every 12 months for upgrading to a new phone. Also, they have great phones, plans, coverage nad reception.

Collapse -
why not bluetooth with verizon?
by fourmarys / June 6, 2005 5:41 AM PDT

Why do you not recommend Bluetooth with Verizon?
I have a prius car that is wired for bluetooth and I want to be able to use the buttons on the steering wheel to answer the phone for a safer situation. What is your experience with bluetooth?
Thank you for our feedback.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.