Phones forum

General discussion

Verizon VS Cingular?

I'm new here but I had a question that needs expert opinions ASAP! I have a Verizon plan and the reception is pretty good but I am looking into switching to Cingular because of their 7pm unlimited calling plan as well as their cheaper plans. Does Cingular get good reception for the PA area? And which plan is better overall, Verizon or Cingular?
Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
*pleisarpup*

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Verizon VS Cingular?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Verizon VS Cingular?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Verizon VS Cingular?

In reply to: Verizon VS Cingular?

I am not sure about PA area, but i can tell you this. i had cingular 2 yrs ago, i had the worst reception in CA. i had constant dropped calls and poor signal. even while i am traveling i think cingular is not worth it, not even a dollar. when i switched to verizon, i mean...boy!! it is good, no it is fantastic, no dropped calls no more. I would get verizon because it is good. in addition to that they have the best customer service i know of. oh..i also had sprint for a week here, but it sucked, and they have rude reps when i called to disconnect the service. verizon might not have the newest cell phones compared to other providers, i think verizon just works. i hope this helps thanks.

Collapse -

I have T-mobile here in Minneapolis, and it's terrible. The customer service people are nice, but blow me off when I say there's a dead zone at my house. I advise you to continue to research the best coverage in your area. Many sources are necessary, including cingular reps. Yes, some of them might be honest with you. Also visit kiosks at shopping malls, especially the multi-vendor ones. Verizon is rated the best in the country. Who cares about price or features when your cell phone is not a reliable appliance?

Collapse -

I've never been with Verizon, but I've been with Cingular---NOOO!! Not good experiences at all. I'm anticipating the end of my contract.

Collapse -

I had verizon and switched to cingular, i get better reception in more areas and better phone choices, i currrently own a nokia 3100 with cingular ad am ver happy. CINGULAR!!!! Happy

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Verizon VS Cingular?

I am going crazy with Verizon. They insist that my number (that they assigned me) is not a Verizon number. So my charges are real real high. Every month I have to call. I just spent 70 minutes on the phone, and it's not resolved this month yet. She insists my Verizon number is a Sprint number!

Collapse -

DONT SWICH. Cingular makes themselves look good with cheap plans and phones but their service is terrible. The only reason while they are still around is because they bought At&T if it wasnt for that they would be goin down right about now. My suggestion to you is to stay with verizon. If their coverage isnt too great where you are u could possibly try tmobile, but i recommend you DO NOT switch to cingulaar

Collapse -

I agree. My mom and sister had Cingular, and when it was known as Cellular One. While reception was ok in NW Indiana, they had too many problems with customer service. They would pay their bill on time, but their phones would still get shut off and Cingular demanded a $110 reconnection fee. They would be on the phone with them every month with the receipt in their hand when it was paid, who handled the transaction, and where it was paid at, and was always at a Cingular Wireless owned store (not an authorized agent of Cingular). Eventually they dropped Cingular and paid a $300 early termination fee ($150 per phone) and tried Nextel. They eventually dropped them when they got lost in the middle of nowhere and their phones didn't work. They finally took me up on trying Verizon Wireless and they're happier with them. I've had them for 2 1/2 years and don't make too many calls to customer service since I rarely have problems with them. Verizon has the network well built in my area. Unfortunately areas where Verizon acquired other services haven't been so lucky and they're playing catchup to get those areas up to par. Verizon had an advantage in my area because they acquired Ameritech Cellular and I want to say Ameritech Cellular was already using CDMA, and before it was known as Verizon Wireless, there was GTE Mobile before the Bell Atlantic and GTE merger. Both services played a factor in my area having great coverage. But Motorola phones are garbage for Verizon though. Weak signals, and I can't make calls on them while a Kyocera phone, I could have 1 or 2 bars and my calls are almost always clear.

Collapse -

I've been using Cingular for the past few years and am none too impressed. Their phones are crap and their in-building penetration is poor.

Collapse -

I learned from a truck driver who came by to pick up a shipment at work that with AT&T and Cingular sharing towers on the GSM network, he uses up a lot of his anytime minutes, even when calling another Cingular customer, all because an AT&T tower keeps picking up his calls. This driver has been with Cingular for 7 years (3 or 4 of those years as Cellular One), and has stayed with them, even though his friends and co-workers keep telling him to switch to Verizon Wireless. As I learn more horror stories with Cingular, makes me glad I have Verizon Wireless. And even though T-Mobile isn't mentioned in the original post, T-Mobile has such spotty coverage and keeps most of their coverage along major interstates is why I refuse to sign up with them. And when a T-Mobile representative told me to rely on roaming on Cingular and AT&T for coverage is not a smart move. AT&T and Cingular customers already complain about reception and customer service that T-Mobile customers can expect lots of dropped calls should AT&T or Cingular pick up the call. And besides, I expect Cingular to lose a lot of customers once the merger is complete (the ones Cingular is able to acquire).

Collapse -

Well I just spent another hour on the phone with Verizon. They claim I owe them $539.27. My easiest complaint is that they are charging us for in-family calls even though our plan says that's free. That is a pretty simple issue to resolve, right? Well, no.

Finally, "Teresa" says she'll investigate and call back in two days. We'll see if she does call back.

My last call was 7/15 to "Angela". She said she'd call back 7/21 after 8:30 pm. She didn't. So I have to start over again. "Teresa" is about the 6th person I've talked too.

The service isn't too bad, so maybe I should just pay whatever they ask, and forget about it.

Collapse -

Hi!, Just thought to keep you up-to-date on my adventures with Verizon. "Teresa" called back tonight! Her investigations showed her that I was right, that I should not have been charged for our mobile-to-mobile calls (duh), and she'll refund those 55 minutes. This is the least of my problems, but it's nice to get at least one thing corrected.

But she won't reverse the late charges. Verizon's stand is that I should be penalized because I didn't pay their charges (which are illegitimate) on time. This is crazy. But Teresa says she doesn't have the authority to reverse late charges. Can I talk to someone who does have the authority to reverse late charges? NO.

Ah but there is some progress on my biggest problem. Local calls to my families cell phones count as in-state long distance, the most expensive kind of call. We didn't know about this until my son's girlfriend's parents forbade her to call him. Turns out, many hundreds of dollars have been spent because of this. Teresa figures out the reason for this. The exchange Verizon assigned us, 585-209-xxxx, is a Batavia exchange, and Batavia is far away from Rochester where we live.

TERESA: you should have reported it when you got the number. ME: I didn't know until now. Why did Verizon assign us a phone number from a different area? TERESA: I don't know, I wasn't there then. ME: Can I talk to someone who knows, or can fix it? TERESA: NO.

Oh, Teresa tells me my August 19 bill (it's not on-line yet) is $408.28. I guess I'll have to spend the next month fighting another obscene bill.

I am actually amazed she called back. I'm sorry for her that she has to work at such a scumbag company.

Collapse -

My wife and I have re-settled in the Philly area after moving around a bit. I've been with VZ for over 2 years now and my wife since... well, since they were Bell Atlantic Mobile. Anyway, we've been very pleased with the coverage, in general. Of course, the industry as a whole is not up to where it should be but VZ has the best network and apparently makes numerous efforts to secure exclusivity deals -- for instance, VZ is the only provider which runs service through the NY/NJ tunnels and the commuter train tunnels.

That's a BIG plus.

Collapse -

Verizon has a much better coverage area than cingular, even though cingular and at&t had just merged. Cingular has better plans such as roll over minutes, they also offer lower cost phones, and have better customer service. But they way i look at it is if I am going to pay for a cellular service I want one that works not one that has no calling area. I have virtually all off the carriers, but verizon has been good to me for about 3 years now and I will stick with it.

Collapse -

I think Verizon has the better coverage. I have a Verizon plan and my friend has Cingular. Her cell phones don't work in the area that she just moved to. When the cross a certain point they have to forward their cell phones to their home phone to get any calls. I on the other hand went to visit and used my phone much to her amazement.

Collapse -

I usually do well inside buildings with Verizon Wireless. I hope to do even better when I get the Samsung SCH-a650, which I hear does better in areas that other phones consider dead spots, especially Motorola phones. Plus with CDMA being around more areas than GSM makes me glad I have Verizon Wireless.

Collapse -

DO IT!
1) I had Cingular for years and never had reason to complain. Reception was always good and you can't beat the ROLLOVER minutes.
2) Verison - they do not listen to any complaints! I always had bad reception- that is why the guy is going around "can you here me now" NO!!!!!

Collapse -

Then you must have never visited Chicago area or northern Indiana. Verizon Wireless works better here than Cingular. I rarely get a dropped call. Most people I know who've tried Cingular complained most about customer service more than signal quality. Signal quality is ok with Cingular, but customer service is what needs to be improved if they expect to compete effectively with Verizon Wireless on service. BTW, when I have a problem, and it's not too often, I've always had good customer service, and when I pay my bill, I go to a Verizon Wireless owned store and not the Verizon Wireless authorized agent store. The type of phone (regardless of service) will also affect the quality of service. My experience with Motorola phones don't give me good things to say about them, and I've heard other people on other services say bad things about Motorola being garbage. Nokia, Samsung, and Kyocera seem to work the best for most services, and I find that especially true with Verizon Wireless.

Collapse -

verizon wireless is nothing but trying to b a monopoly just like it does with everything here n nyc. their service is not better than cingular n everyway.

Collapse -

I've not had personal experience with Cingular. But, when I left Sprint PCS (forget about a signal in the country!), I did some research and found that Verizon has the largest area in the country, compaired to everyone else- except for maybe AT&T. Cingular has some good plans, and I think they have rollover minutes, right? I wish the others would follow in that direction! It depends on where in PA that you live, and where you will be calling, that determines what service you really need. In the cities, Cingular might work, but I know for sure that Verizon goes everywhere. I would go to Cingular online and see what their covered areas are. If they don't have a website, then I'd call their 800#, since they most likely have one, and ask. I'd do the same for Verizon. That way, you'll get all your answers and pick the right company and the right plan. Sometimes it's so overwhelming, all the plans, that it's a good idea to take a break after you gather all the info. Then, you'll be able to make the right decision.BTW- the 800 info number is 1-800-555-1212. Good luck!

Collapse -

I can tell you my mom and sisters' experience with Cingular. They had them for 4 years when it was known as Cellular One. All of their problems started under the Cingular name. Customer Service always turned off their service, even after paying the bill on time at a Cingular Wireless owned store. My mom and sister wereon the phone every month trying to get their service turned back on. Cingular treated long time customer like this this that they eventually decided to the $300 early termination fee ($150 per phone) to try someone else. Cingular hadn't coverted to GSM at that time and rollover wasn't offered yet. While the offer is nice, and they offer nights and weekends starting at 7pm, and unlimited mobile to mobile, Most people I talk to in my area complain the most about customer service. Signal strength is fine. Another problem I found out from a Cingular customer that might be plaguing Cingular customers in markets where AT&T have towers at. Unless you have nationwide service to where you can use your mobile to mobile minutes, this guy who picked up a shipment where I work couldn't use his mobile to mobile minutes because AT&T towers kept picking up his calls in Cingular's coverage area. I could understand if he were in AT&T's area that Cingular doesn't cover, but in an area that both services overlap, AT&T shouldn't pickup the Cingular call. That should be resolved when the services merge toward the end of the year. But Cingular needs to improve their customer service if they expect to keep the large customer service they're going to acquire. My one friend on AT&T already has plans to drop AT&T before the merger is complete since he doesn't want to be on Cingular Wireless, simply because of the customer service problems. That's why I think if it doesn't improve, Verizon Wireless will likely acquire a lot of those customers since Verizon Wireless has a low turnover in customers because of customer service satisfaction, better coverage, and usually fewer dropped calls (unless you own a Motorola, then you'll get lots of dropped calls). Cingular has lots of perks, but most people I know don't like customer service, but usually don't have problems with coverage though, at least in NW Indiana and in Chicago. Verizon Wireless has fewer perks, but that's because they're a premium service, but Verizon Wireless has spent lots of money building their network in new areas, as well as fixing coverage issues in existing areas, whether from a previous merger, or from where there are more users than circuits to handle the calls. It's nice that Verizon Wireless made mobile to mobile unlimited, but the IN-Networking name needs to go. At least from my experience, Verizon Wireless covers their areas well, both in northern Indiana around South Bend, Michigan City, Valparaiso, Gary, and in the Chicago metropolitan area, and up in Milwaukee. Verizon's roaming partners are another story, especially Alltel in Michigan, where portions of their network is still analog, though Alltel did add more digital coverage, but cover I-94 so poorly. That's where you need to get a tri-mode phone with them since it's Verizon's roaming partners that haven't completely made the transition to digital like Verizon has. But if you still want to look at Cingular Wireless, their website is www.cingular.com . Verizon Wireless's website is www.verizonwireless.com .

Collapse -

I'm in Philly and Love Verizon here... but what about in the south where SBC is dominant. As you know SBC owns part of Cingular. I am relocating from Philly to Houston and DREAD the cell service. Is Cingular better in areas dominated by SBC or is Verizon great in every major metro area.

Collapse -

Verizon serves Houston and depending on terrain and number of towers are what determines how well service works for any provider. I can tell you based on where I travel, to Chicago and nearby suburbs, plus Milwaukee, Verizon Wireless works great there. It might be possible that Cingular's coverage is good in areas they dominate, but everywhere they have service, people always complain about customer service and being overbilled. In my mom and sister's case, their service was always shut off every month, even when they paid the bill on time at a Cingular Wireless corporate store. It got to the point that they dropped the service after 4 years (I believe 2-3 years of that was under the Cellular One name) in 2003. Gsm wasn't available at that time, so I wouldn't be able to comment on coverage, but their old TDMA network was ok in some areas and next to nothing in rural areas, plus when going to my brother's house in Knox Indiana, it was roaming, but they had a digital signal. So I wouldn't know who picked up the call. I say if you have Verizon Wireless now, stay with them for now to see if coverage is good in Houston. I know I'm keeping Verizon Wireless when I move to Milwaukee because the coverage is great there, but hate the fact that overall coverage of Wisconsin is peanuts, but that's because the network was part of the old Primeco service and Primeco refused to serve rural areas, and the FCC won't allow Verizon to expand due to certain markets in that state already having enough carriers to deny Verizon a license in certain markets.

Collapse -

I TRIED EVERY SERVICE already and i WORK FOR VERIZON as well... VERIZON is one of the top ratings.. covering nearly 94% of the US nationwide.. you can compare coverage maps verizon ... http://www.verizonwireless.com/images_b2c/maps/national/ac.gif

and cingular + att combined http://www.newcingular.com/images/about/coverageMapStill.gif

now theres a big difference . to prove that verizon is the best.. heres the CELL PHONE RATINGS SITE

http://www.consumerreports.org/main/detailv2.jsp?CONTENT<>cnt_id=299623&FOLDER<>folder_id=162691

there i hope this help.. i switched from cingular to verizon.. and im very satisfied on how i can get reception in rare areas unlike any other services

Collapse -

ALMOST FERGOT VERIZON ADDS MORE CELL SITES TOWER EVERY YEAR SO UPDATE YOUR COVERAGE FOOTPRINT USING YOUR CELL PHONES. *228 SEND.. LISTEN TO THE PROMPT THEN PRESS 2. THEN YOUR ALL SET AND UPDATED

Collapse -

Now if only Verizon were allowed to expand coverage in Michigan that they currently don't cover. I've never had problems with Verizon's network in northern Indiana, Chicago and Milwaukee, but Alltel is another story in Michigan (Verizon's extended network). Alltel doesn't cover their areas as well and Verizon users should expect the extended network to not have the same quality that Verizon Wireless has. I just wonder if Alltel is just as bad in Wisconsin.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.