Phones forum

General discussion

Verizon's Coverage or Sprint's 7PM nights and Unlimited Roam

Let's hear it! I sell this stuff and live in the Northeast. Does Sprint's Free and Clear America (Unlimited Roaming add on) plan and Unlimited night's after 7PM,add on, really save you money? This is the Sprint challenge. Or should I be satisfied with Verizon's coverage with nights starting at 9PM and get charged a roaming fee if I'm in the boonies?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Verizon's Coverage or Sprint's 7PM nights and Unlimited Roam
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Verizon's Coverage or Sprint's 7PM nights and Unlimited Roam
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Verizon's Coverage or Sprint's 7PM nights and Unlimited

In reply to: Verizon's Coverage or Sprint's 7PM nights and Unlimited Roam

Be satisfied with Verizon coverage. You would most likely have to roam on Sprint's service as well on top of the charge for anytime after 7.

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Verizon's Coverage or Sprint's 7PM nights and Unlimited

What I mean to say is that Sprint has Unlimited nights and weekends after 7PM for an extra $5 AND Unlimited roaming for an extra $5......still...the challenge is, am I saving money with Sprint given the added features it has on their network OR will I be better off with Verizon if I roam on their network at 69 cents per minute and have nights and weekends free starting at 9PM?

Collapse -

Night and weekends at 7pm are at no charge if you sign a 2 year contract. I however didn't know Sprint offered a plan with no roaming charges. Verizon has a plan (with fewer anytime minutes) with no roaming charges. Now if you get Americas Choice, there are areas that you can roam at no charge as long as that peticular area is an area that Verizon and the other carrier have agreements to roam on each other's network. Areas in red on the Verizon maps are Verizon's netowrk. Pink is extended coverage (roam on another carrier's network at no charge), and tan (maybe even areas that are shown in white) are roaming areas. You'll also need to check your roaming indicator. If it says Verizon Network or roaming indicator is off, you're on Verizon's network. extended coverage or flashing indicator, you're in extended coverage (roaming on theother carrier's network at no charge), and if it says roam or roaming indicator is solid, then you're roaming. Depending on what part of the country you're in, you may want to know from people who have both services to get an idea which service to go with. I can tell you I live in the Chicago market and physically living in Gary, IN and Sprint has too much static while Verizon has a much more stable network. So if you were in my area, I'd recommend Verizon Wireless.

Collapse -

I'm in the Chicago area and had Verizon for four years and had nothing but trouble. Constant missed calls and the corresponding voice mail message delivered anywhere from 30 minutes to days later! Nextel has a much better coverage area and network. They also don't charge roaming, wherever you are, so you don't have to look at some silly map. My plan is $50/month for unlimited nights/weekends and 1000 anytime minutes which I consider well worth it considering their network is much better than Verizon, that is, based on my experiences. I'm far away from Gary, IN and have never traveled there so maybe Verizon actually has good coverage there. Frankly, I'd be quite surprised.

Collapse -

I've had no trouble with Verizon in Chicago and many suburbs. I looked at Sprint, which was my original choice and in 2002, which is when I signed up with service, and Sprint wanted $35 for 200 minutes and unlimited nights and weekends and Verizon offered $35 for 300 minutes and 3000 nights and weekends. When I looked at coverage and anytime minutes, I chose Verizon Wireless and have had few problems. Most of my problems are typical problems. The only time I have problems is when I go into Michigan on Alltel's network. As for Nextel, I think the service costs too much, and I personally don't like walkie talkie phones. They might be fine for some people, but it's not for me. Plus, my mom and sister had the service and wasn't all that happy with it. plus, I don't like the idea that they use a proprietary digital standard and don't offer analog backup if you go off the network. Which means you go off the network, you don't have service,and that's what happened one time when my mom and sister got lost in Renssalaer, IN and was off the network. They had to ask people for help to get where they needed to since the phone was useless there. I wish the FCC would have approved one digital standard years ago to where we wouldn't be in the mess of 3 digital standards (GSM, CDMA, and Nextel's IDEN. TDMA is being phased out). For where I travel, Verizon does well, though some phones don't work as well on their service as others do. I may get the Samsung SCH-a650 as my next phone. Motorola 120c and 120e are garbage for Verizon Wireless unless you're in an area with strong signal strength.

Collapse -

well i can tall u i feel lucky enough to have all that stuff u said of sprintpcs and on top of that i got free unlimited internet stuff of anything u can think of free of charge while verizon charges an arm and a leg for anything u try to do online. the best thing about sprintpcs on the thing u said is this and try to understand. sprintpcs has a better network than verizon I yet havent found a place in us where i need to roam. since u never going to need the roaming this is what i do. let say i have no signal lets say on a subway or something, i set my phone to analog and it roams and baby i got signal while with verizon u can NOT do that. i know this cause my gf has verizon and she [ays $59 and i pay $59 but all she can do is call ppl and try not to go over her mins while i can do anything that can b done with any phone including watching tv etc.... verizon and sprintpcs n my opinion from experience are the best carrier but sprintpcs when it comes to price and internet stuff are wayyyyyyy superior sprintpcs better btw sprintpcs has the best cell/palms etc... oh one more thing just so u know. sprintpcs will pay or give u the mins back of any drop call at any giving time.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.