Phones forum

General discussion

Verizon New every 2 question

by AlTheBBFan / February 10, 2007 1:32 AM PST

I am currently a verizon customer and my new every two credit is coming in April. Has anyone ever heard of or tried to get Verizon to let you use the credit early if you plan to re-sign? My current phone just broke and I am in the military, so I pretty much HAVE to have a working cell contact #.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Verizon New every 2 question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Verizon New every 2 question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
New every 2 question
by Slacker57 / February 10, 2007 5:52 AM PST

Well I am a Verizon customer as well and Ill tell you I love them but I also HATE THEM with a passion. Verizon is very much a stickler for the rules. They seem to not want to work with customers cause the way I see it why the hell should they? What are you gonna do cancel your contract? OK, fine.... Oh by the way, early termination fee. LOL! yeah they get you either way.
They say that you can get the new every 2 early but you forfit your $100 credit, or you can just buy the phone you want at the full retail price(highway robbery)OR....you wait it out until you are actually up and you get your $100. If I were you, I would play the military card with a Verizon supervisor and see if that works out in your favor. By the way if you are going TDY for more than a month you can fax in your orders and they will suspend your contract and you dont have to pay for your cell bill while your gone.(no extra cost, "soldiers and sailors act")

Good Luck, and thanks for your service in the military!

Collapse -
Verizon New every 2 question
by willstan267 / February 10, 2007 6:39 AM PST

I'm sorry to have to confirm this for you, but the response from Slacker57 is pretty much right on the money. My wife's cell phone broke in early January and we were very much in the same boat of needing her to have a new phone, but the only option that Verizon had for us was to either pay the full price for a replacement phone or cancel the contract, etc. We even had friends that were so eager to upgrade from previous phones they had from Verizon that they hated, that they completed the form the evening prior to their contract expiring on the web, so they could get their new phones right away. It turns out the contract ends at midnight and they got charged the full price for their new phones! They were able to get this resolved with Verizon, but only after a lot of time and aggravation on the part of the customer.

However, there is another option that may work for you and it did for us. We had a friend that had recently upgraded phones with Verizon and we were able to use their old phone. You can activate an old phone to use your account via Verizon's web page at: http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/renew/controller
Verizon will do this for you at one of their stores, but it will cost you $35.00. I was able to do this on-line with no problems just following their instructions.

I hope this is an option that will work for you. Thanks also for all you do for us. I wish there was more we could do for you!

Collapse -
good help
by AlTheBBFan / February 10, 2007 12:35 PM PST

thank you both for your help. Just to let everyone know, I called Verizon and explained my situation and got the following results: They told me I could forfeit the 100 credit towards the new phone and buy one at the deal price (the one that you normally get with a new contract) or they could push the date (April 22 for me) 30 days early to get my new phone with the credit (which now makes it March 22). In case anybody else encounters this problem. Ask them to do the same.

Collapse -
They will let you upgrade 2 months early
by weaponx16 / February 10, 2007 12:44 PM PST
In reply to: good help

They will let you upgrade two months earlier then your new every two anniversary date with no forfeits of any kind. If you have to replace your phone sooner then that, get to know one of the reps in a store and try to tack on the 5.99 accidental damage coverage (which I highly recommend anyway) once you do that wait a month and then claim your phone broken, you will then have to pay a deductible (costs depends on your phone amount usually between 20-50 bucks) and then they will send you a phone in about 3 business days (refurbished), then wait it out until your new every two comes up.

I have been a verizon customer for five years, they have the ugliest phones but the best network hands down. They can be shady at times, but you gotta pay for the dependability. That is why I am considering paying the extra money up front for one year contracts.

Collapse -
Just the Opposite
by lavern / February 13, 2007 2:39 AM PST

I have had nothing but good service with verizon. I washed my cell phone. I guess thats the problem with them being so small and they gave me my new phone (and restarted my contract of course) at least 6 months early.

Collapse -
how
by AlTheBBFan / February 14, 2007 11:48 AM PST
In reply to: Just the Opposite

how did you accomplish that?

Collapse -
huh?
by Meat11 / February 16, 2007 3:13 AM PST
In reply to: Just the Opposite

You washed your cell phone? Huh? With what?

Collapse -
New Every Two - Two Months Early
by megz147 / February 15, 2007 4:21 AM PST

I am a Verizon customer - I was due for a new cell phone in December of 2006 through the "New Every Two" policy.

I dropped my phone in October and cracked the display - when I went into the store they said they couldn't help. I called their 800 number, explained the situation and pointed out my perfect payment history - she "put a note in the system" and told me to go back to the store. I told them I had spoken on the phone with a representative, they looked it up, and I got a new phone.

Collapse -
wha..
by AlTheBBFan / February 15, 2007 11:36 PM PST

I seem to be getting shorted here.

Collapse -
info
by AlTheBBFan / February 16, 2007 12:14 AM PST
In reply to: wha..

can i get some info from you guys so that when I try to call Verizon again I can use you as examples. I am deploying soon and I NEED a phone

Collapse -
Verizon Renewal
by rickkalika / April 23, 2010 6:58 AM PDT

IF you renew, they will let you do it 20 mnths instead of 2 yrs.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.