Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Verizon helping the poor??

by Magishine / December 27, 2009 2:09 PM PST

Really? That's their excuse? Because it's pretty hard to talk about how affordable your phones are when you require the highest deposit for those that have low credit. I was thinking of going to verizon about two years ago. They wanted a $1,000 deposit as opposed to Sprint's $100 deposit.

Guess which one I went with.

I know this is late, but I needed to get it off my chest. Verizon is nuts if they're claiming ETF are to help keep their phones affordable.

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
Smartphones are expensive
by Nicholas Buenk / December 28, 2009 10:30 AM PST

The droid for example is a $600 phone. That they can sell subidised for $200 with the rest coming out of your monthly plan over 2 years. If you can just pay $200 quit and pay $175 termination fee, you're probably getting the droid at cost to verizon. And here's why they changed it.
Although, $1000 deposit? I should think they'd have to refund some of that if you quit early...

Collapse -
They don't
by Magishine / December 30, 2009 1:45 PM PST

You get it back at the end of your first year, like every other deposit. And it's applied to your bill as a credit.

The deposit isn't just for smartphones, it's for every phone. And never mind that Verizon has the most expensive phones and plans to begin with, how many people would drop 1000 bucks on the PRIVILEGE to use Verizon. You still have to buy the phones as well. It's just ridiculous and ludicrous.

And even though it's not Verizon, didn't AT&T still have an ETF on the first iphone, even though it was unsubsidized?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!