Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

by grimsteel / April 2, 2009 4:02 PM PDT

I am looking to get rid of comcast, cant stand their constant disconnects and poor service. I can get verizon dsl cheaper than comcast cable Inet but was wondering if it will be a noticable difference in Inet speed. I dont downlaod much but I do play online games, MMO'S and xbox live type games. Should I stick with comcast? I dont have fios avail yet but is the DSL going to be a pain for my online gaming?
Want to get the verizon 3mb dsl I think they said, currently have the higehr end comcast but dont recall the speed.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: VERIZON DSL or COMCAST?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: VERIZON DSL or COMCAST?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just checking.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2009 9:39 PM PDT

Is anyone in the house running TORRENTS or P2P applications? The reason I asked is a long running issue with disconnects at a friends house was cured when we secured his wifi. It looks like some leech was using his connection for torrents and once that stopped the connect only dropped during very bad weather, ice storms and such.

If he had changed to DSL, the issue would have only continued.

Collapse -
by grimsteel / April 3, 2009 4:51 PM PDT
In reply to: Just checking.

I have my wifi password protected and we dont use p2p or torrents, only downloading netflix from time to time. Problem with comcast is some remote connection outside of my apartment complex that they say is fixed but never does get fixed and just tired of comcasts passing the buck amoungst their different departments. no one at comcast takes responsibility to make sure the problem gets fixed, over 6 months now.
I was just concerned if I would really notice a difference if I went with verizon dsl 3mb instead since all I use the inet for is MMO games and xbox games. Not sure how it works but I think they are more upload dependent?

Collapse -
DSL will be a step down in speed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2009 10:41 PM PDT
In reply to: WIFI SECURED

And game "lag" should go up. But if you are experience no connection at all and you've replaced the cable modem then it's a good move.

Netflix speed and all other speeds will drop.

Collapse -
Let's hope you don't use WEP.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2009 10:42 PM PDT
In reply to: WIFI SECURED

That's all of 2 minutes to connect to your cable conection so if you use WEP, the issue is still there.

As a test, disable the wifi and get wired.

Collapse -
by grimsteel / April 17, 2009 4:19 PM PDT

I currently have hardwire connections for all my pc's and game systems, I only use the wireless for my laptop. My problem with comcast isnt the connection per se, it is the continual loss of service every few days and the horrid customer service. I guess if your a gammer your stuck with comcast. Wish we had more competition and selection, would love fios but apartments are not wired yet.

Collapse -
bad weather
by grimsteel / April 21, 2009 6:23 PM PDT
In reply to: Just checking.

I did notice the disconnects would occur in very cold weather. I hope they have it fixed now, the issue is that it took something like 11 tech visits and like 30 some phone calls to get anyone to do anything. They sent a tech out for each disconnect he tested it said it was ok and left. I tried over and over to tell them it is a bigger problem and everyone at comcast just passed the buck. I was pissed. I think they know I dont have an option in the apartments where I live so it took such a ludicrous amount of effort on my part to get it fixed. If fios ever comes here I will run out to greet them like a liberated POW.

Collapse -
Yeah, until FIOS gets there...
by ahtoi / April 3, 2009 2:40 AM PDT

I would stick with cable (unless they're using DSL for their Inet). Cable should be faster then DSL. Your problem maybe what Bob stated.

Collapse -
Verizon is bad
by p2abcd / April 5, 2010 10:43 AM PDT

I am going to switch to Charter from Verizon. In my area Verizon is using antiquated equipment and does not offer a plan for unlimited long distance. But the major problem is the long wait times for phone support. I am currently on hold with Verizon trying to resolve a minor service issue, and I have been on hold for one and one-half hours. I'm still on hold. In my area Charter offers a bundled plan - telephone, internet, cable tv -- and I am switching as soon as I can. Charter can't be worse. I also have experience with Comcast and they OK. I had some problems with my cable tv service because I was away for weeks at a time and when I came home I had to reset the system. But this was a minor problem and easily resolved, and I never had to wait as long on the phone with Comcast as I have with Verizon.

Collapse -
The problem might not be comcast
by techguy866 / April 8, 2010 5:34 AM PDT

I would just ask for new equipment. I and a large majority of the people I know use comcast and it runs great. Their TV service leaves something to be desired, but for internet they are great. I know a lot of hardcore gamers on comcast and plenty of not-so-hardcore gamers. If we are all using Comcast fine maybe you have some faulty hardware connecting you. Obviously this might not be the case, but it's worth trying.

Collapse -
Can I Help?
by ComcastRodney / April 16, 2010 1:15 AM PDT

Hello Grimsteel,

I apoligize for the issues you have been experiencing. Can I help get your problems resolved?

Collapse -
Check those posting dates. This one is 1+ Year old.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 16, 2010 1:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Can I Help?

Try posts that are not so old.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?