Phones forum

General discussion

verizon and roaming and the in network?

by dee/p / September 14, 2004 11:53 PM PDT

My son is going to school in laramie wy, I live in IN, I currently have nextel which does not work there, anyone know of the best phone and company to work with no roaming and good sound, don't need a camera. I am looking at the verizon choice network, in calling, nights and weekends with either the lgvx3200, or the samsung scha-650, I had verizon years ago and when they say can you hear me now< I couldn't hear a thing, dropped calls etc. I had the startach phone. Any suggestions? I expire shortly from nextel so i'm doing the number portability.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: verizon and roaming and the in network?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: verizon and roaming and the in network?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: verizon and roaming and the in network?
by dave1973 / September 15, 2004 1:46 AM PDT

I have Verizon Wireless and do well with it, based on my trips to Chicago and Milwaukee areas, as well as Gary Indiana where I live. I looked at the Americas Choice map for Laramie Wyoming and coverage around there will be spotty as it's near roaming areas. If you choose Verizon Wireless for your son, you should inform him to keep an eye on his roaming indicator carefully. I don't know how Verizon is out there, or the part of Indiana you're in, but it has done great for, even more so after I upgraded to the Samsung SCH-a650 on August 31. The Samsung SCH-a650 is a flip phone with some frills, mainly mobile web, get it now, e-mail, and text messaging. It's a tri-mode phone (CDMA 800/1900 and analog 800) so there'll be analog when digital isn't available on Verizon's network, but that's rare these days as Verizon is nearly all digital. Don't get new Motorola phones as they don't perform as well unless there's a strong signal in the area. I got lots of dropped calls with my old Motorola, and it was the 120c. If you look at family share, make sure you read the terms to that plan carefully, and go to a Verizon Wireless owned store. Not the authorized agent as the authorized agents aren't as knowledgeable, and their phone selections might not be current. As with any cell phone service, there will always be areas that'll be spotty, and that holds true in rural areas, but at least in northern Indiana, Verizon seems to be the only nationwide service that is making an effort to serve the rural areas, unlike T-Mobile and AT&T. You have 15 days to try out the service before you decide to keep it, so you shouldn't have anything to lose. I've had Verizon Wireless for 2 1/2 years and had few problems with them, unlike my mom and sister who had lots of trouble with Cingular and dropped Nextel after they got lost in Rensselaer Indiana and they went off the network, making the phone useless.

Collapse -
by dee/p / September 15, 2004 2:40 AM PDT

Thanx for the info, I am in valpo/chesterton/portage area, so very close to gary. When I had verizon I couldn't make a call from my house or the backyard, lots of trees, but I did read about how hot the samsung gets after a time of usage. THEY(verizon) say that laramie is in the network, it shows digital service, he's near I 80, area, so it's showing service,he should have service back thru nebraska also and into colorado. What do you mean about the family share fine print? I to am leery that I'm missing something, I am going to try it for the fifteen days, but with the number portability issue I have to keep both services on for a rollover month.
I know there is always something, but with mobile to mobile and the in network is in both areas as long as I start both phones based here prior to leaving, and the nights and weekends, I'm leery but... got anything I might be missing. Also, if you have nights and weekends, can you use the mobile web into the unlimited time? I have talked to several reps but never seem to get consistent answers to questions. Also, I know alltel is in Mich. and AR to where I go visit and NEXTEL definately doesn't go there> I am torn between paying a fortune for the national network with supposed no roaming guarantee, and just adding nights and weekends, but they say that's not necessary.
Help

Collapse -
by dave1973 / September 15, 2004 12:00 PM PDT

I ahven't used mobile web, so I wouldn't be able to answer that one. As for the family share, all phones share the anytime minutes and mobile to mobile (or as Verizon calls it, "IN-Networking"), depending on the plan you get, the primary phone gets the unlimited IN-Netowrking and the other phones on the same account get unlimited calling among the phones on the same account only. That's what you need to look into if you get family share. Nationwide (Americas Choice plan) allows roaming in select areas that Verizon worked out roaming agreements with other carriers that also use CDMA digital. If you look at national single rate, tri-mode is a must with that plan and that allows roaming at no charge, but you pay big bucks for that plan with fewer minutes.
I've been through Valparaiso many times and do rather well with Verizon Wireless. I was able to use my old Motorola 120c in the Wal-mart Supercenter with no trouble. Now the Wal-mart Supercenter in Merillville is a different story, even with the new phone, signal problems inside that store. I'm able to use my phone in the house I live in, but that's because I live near a 500 ft tower and get full reception inside the house. That same tower couldn't penetrate my house when my mom and sister had Cingular. I only hope you're looking at a Verizon Wireless corporate store and not the authorized agents. The authorized agents will screw you over more than the agents at the corporate store. So if there isn't a Verizon Wireless owned store in Porter County, go to Merrillville at the Verizon Wireless kiosk at Westfield Shopping town Southlake (Southlake Mall) on US 30 or the Verizon Wireless store on Merillville Rd and US 30 near Kmart and Meijer. But your son will have to be careful as he'll run the risk of roaming more than you will since Verizon has numerous roaming spots around Laramie, WY than you will since Verizon covers 90% - 95% of Indiana and the roaming areas of Indiana (mainly around Logansport) is extended coverage on nationwide (Americas Choice).

Collapse -
by dee/p / September 16, 2004 12:58 AM PDT

I talked to someone over the phone, and in the the portage store, they were useless in the store, but alas, they stated that both phones had unlimited in network as long as you called ANY verizon phone. I'm sure someone is off somewhere, because the theory would be to have the girlfriend get verizon, myself and my son, so we are all in the network,but she's on her own bill. I agree with the roaming, I'm trying to cut it really close for the 15 day period, can't manage that if I buy online although they will wave the activation fee since I've had verizon before, but the portage store said no. You can call 4 people and get 4 different answers. So son would have to have the primary line to use the networking, but if the friends are not on the same account it costs??I read where you have to update your preferred roaming otherwise it's a roam charge also. I can pay for national one rate and pay extra for weekends, those are friday at midnight until sun. midnight, it's running more than my nextel plan now, but it doesn't work there. geez! I'm looking at the america's choice with unlimited nights and weekends and unlimited in calling, what if i don't do family share and just pay for two separate services with unlimited in calling, then will it work for calling any verizon customer? also what is the home network exactly?

Collapse -
by dave1973 / September 16, 2004 3:50 AM PDT

If you go with 2 phones and each one is on a different account, then each phone will be able to call any Verizon Wireless customer at no charge. With family share, and you thought about giving your son the primary phone. Then he'd be able to call any Verizon Wireless customer. Depending on the plan set up, the other phones may only be able to call the other phones on the account at no charge, which is what happened to a co-worker I work with. She upgraded her phone and added her husband to the account. She was suppsed to have the option of the second phone to call only the primary phone at no charge or all Verizon Wireless customers. The representative signed her up for the first option.
But I do understand your frustration that each representative seems to have a different answer. I got the same thing when I inquired for service with Sprint (my original choice) and AT&T. If Sprint hadn't discontinued a plan I was looking at 2 years ago, which was re-instated at a lower price, I'd be giving personal reviews on Sprint instead of Verizon.
If you're looking to get the service now, best to go to a store to get it from the Verizon Wireless store. You may or may not get the phone in time for the number porting. For that, it's best to deal with it at a Verizon Wireless store. As for activation fee, they now charge an activation fee on Americas Choice, which they didn't on 2 year plans when I signed up in March 2002. It's still $35 for a one year plan, but $15 for a 2 year plan. Only on local plans is the activation fee still waived on 2 year plans. Since you haven't been with Verizon Wireless for a while, they'll charge the activation fee for each phone. Also to let you know that if you need to change your plan anytime during your existing contract, your contract starts over. That's why I waited until I got the new phone before I changed plans. I have yet to deal with roaming (as in roaming on another network and no roaming agreements worked out with the other provider) yet. If your son stays around town most of the time while using his phone, he should be fine. One last thing, if either or both of you go into extended coverage, your anytime or night and weekend minutes apply rather than your in-network minutes since you must be on Verizon's network to use in-networking minutes. Now if you were looking at US Cellular (though I don't believe they serve Wyoming), both of you must be on their netowrk in order to use mobile to mobile, and night and weekend minutes.

Collapse -
by dee/p / September 17, 2004 12:45 AM PDT

went in to the main store in merr. they will waive the activation fee for both lines, and they changed the promotion, it's now ANY verizon mobile,whether on shared or not... so not just the primary line, I have thought about two separate lines, that way when he gets out he can do whatever he wants, continue or not... or I can change or add services, the plans are the same when added up shared or separate. I am only going for one year, in case of problems, I will have to pay more upfront for the phones , but compared to a 175 feex2 it seems appropriate. Am going to wait until next weekend and get the phones so as to stay in my 15 day period, NOW
the choice of phones? I did ask about internet and free nights and weekends, and it can be done as long as you are not in roaming, so one can be
on the internet after 9:01 until morning time without eating up your main minutes. He can then have his email access and msgr. or yahoo or aol msr. services. as for the portability, they will give a temp number until the date of my canc. contract time with nextel with no charge. so as long as I don't send in the rebate on the phones until after the 15 days and all works out, I only have to have duplicate services for 2 weeks. Unfortunately, it's doesn't fall into my billing schedule for nextel so I'll be prorated...whether I use my minutes or not...It's the raoming I'm concerned about, I know the school is in the digital network (IN) in wy, but not sure where his housing is exactly until I get there, It's supposed to be within 2-3 miles of the school. One can only hope..
Looked at the promo phone lg 3200 nice with speakerphone, has good reviews and has a good ringer but no perks inc. the samsung 650 is supposed to be good, but no speakerphone and the ringer is quiet, so maybe the headphone to take the place of the speakerphone since the phone is so tiny anyhow> what other phones are good? there is one trimode camera phone but a little on the high side, but one will never know what cool sunset shots or views he might come across out there, or how the photos really look once downloaded for print? I can see now that you have to download the games on a phone instead of preinstalled one's on other networks, but what about the cdm 8900? any good?

Collapse -
by dee/p / September 17, 2004 1:23 AM PDT

Audiovox CDM8900 LG VX3200 Nokia 3589i Samsung SCH-a650 input on any of these phones?

Collapse -
by dave1973 / September 17, 2004 1:28 AM PDT

At least the Verizon Wireless agents in Merrillville were good to you. And I'm surprised that they're willing to waive the activation fee when normally, new customers must now pay an activation fee, whether on 1 year $35 or 2 years $15 for Americas Choice.
As for the internet, your son should have no problem with using it, but the representative didn't tell you is you must be on their network for it to work. You need to look at the enhanced network in orange to get an idea of Verizon Wireless's coverage. Don't rely on the Americas Choice map at all. I wish Verizon Wireless would have kept the old Americas Choice map where it showed Verizon's network in red, pink for extended (roaming agreements with other carriers), light grey for roaming, and white for no service.
The Audiovox CDM8900 was one phone I looked at before I saw the Samsung SCH-a650. I agree with you that the Samsung ringer isn't as loud as I have that phone, but it does handle a signal rather well in more areas. I can't guarantee about your home, but the network improved since the time you originally tried the service. Afterall, Verizon was either GTE Mobile in Porter County, or Ameritech Cellular once covered that area, or both. I don't know which. I do know the old Ameritech Cellular covered Lake County. Back on the phones. I heard better reviews on the Samsung SCH-a650. I don't need a speakerphone or a camera, but do wish it had an external display for viewing calls before answering the phone, but luckily there's a feature to keep the phone from answering the call when opening the phone. All incoming calls require hitting the send button to answer them. It does have another drawback of not being able to read the screen in bright light, especially sunlight. But overall like it. I can however hear the callers loud and clear, sometimes I have to turn down the volume because sometimes it's too loud. If this phone hadn't been out, then I would have bought the Audiovox CDM8900 just for tri-mode. I heard most of the problems with that phone are with the camera itself and sometimes people can't hear the incoming caller on the speakerphone unless the area is quiet. I don't know personally since I didn't buy the phone. I did hear the Audiovox CDM8600 and sister model 8610 are garbage. Too many bugs in those phones that people on both Sprint and Verizon have problems with it. For other phones, if you don't need a flip phone, Kyocera is another good choice as their phones can handle reception rather well. I used to have Kyocera and it was a good phone, but the one I had had a bright blue screen that I couldn't adjust the brightness that I stopped using it after 2 months and bought a used phone to use for the remaining length of the contract. Just stay away from Motorola as they don't make phones like they used to. Motorola phones are known to drop more calls, especially in areas that that the phone shows 1 or 2 bars. Their phones need at least 3 bars for the call to be clear, and that would count out most buildings, unless there's a tower nearby with that specific service. Check out this site on reviews for different phones and whatever choice you make, I hope this time Verizon Wireless will work better for you and your son.

Collapse -
by dee/p / September 17, 2004 2:06 AM PDT

thanx, we had verizon for many years prior to 3 ago, so i got it in writing to have the fee waived for one year of service. i agree about the external display as to caller id, but it's good to hear that you can actually hear the calls, it's hard to hear when in a car etc. the speakerphone is good, but the headphone would take care of that issue; as when i'm on 2 way with nextel in public i switch to private anyway and that is harder to hear in public. got new phones last year from nextel, and verizon is tiny compared to
that, including the weight issue. how's the battery time on the samsung? charge time etc.
I like the speakerphone for voice dialing etc in the car or hands on things in the house, as I have a great package with nextel, and really don't need a house phone. most everyone we know is on two way, will be an adjustment.
I'm not keen on the camera, it's the boy, so I might just go to the samsung, then he can get internet or not on his choice but at least it's available while the lg3200 is a great phone, but no perks for later, hate to buy something and then wish i had some other features. a must is one with national single rate use.
I have to sell my nextel's now, ebay.... as for wy, they seem to be in the national access and enhanced area, so I'm going to hope... arkansas is also alltel, and we go down there, as we have been left a house and property... had no signal throught al top half of 10 in fl. and ms when traveling from fl. it shows service for lowell, am in cr. pt. a lot, so need coverage there also... before couldn't get service past the new high school.... in the store they have a huge map but everyone i looked at has the cheyenne on it and it's across the areas of which i'm looking, i've looked at the coverage locator on the web site and entered in the zip for where we will be and so far so good, but that's not always the case, his school is along the i 89 corridor, but the housing is something.. ky is also the analog service ...

Collapse -
by dave1973 / September 18, 2004 4:28 AM PDT

From my experience with the Samsung SCH-a650, the volume is loud and clear, sometimes too loud that I have to turn down the volume, good display, but hard to see in the sun and other bright lights. retractable antenna, and at least for me, it charges in maximum of 2 hours, but the phone must be off for it to charge up properly. It stores 500 entries and 20 numbers for voice dialing. I haven't figured out how to work that yet. As for the caller ID, I don't like it that unlike my old Kyocera 2235 and Motorola 120c, even local numbers are displayed with area code. So if you store a phone number with only 7 digits in this phone and you get a call from that number, the phone won't recognize it from the phone book because the phone displays all incoming calls 10 digit and not 7 digit numbers for local and 10 digits for long distance. In order for the phone to display the name of the caller from the phone book if he or she calls you is to add the area code. Unless there's a setting to change that, the area code must be added to all phone numbers in your phone book. Talk time if on the phone continuously, I got around 2 1/2 hours on the standard battery. For standby time, I got at the most 7 days with the phone on continuously. Mine gets warm, but never got hot like some other phones may have that people on here complain about. Overall I like it and should last me the length of the contract. I just hope more areas by then will be digital, but that'll depend on Verizon's roaming carriers to make that effort sicne Verizon Wireless is practically all digital since most spots, I either get a weak analog signal when forced into analog while on digital in thesame spot might be stronger, or my phone will say no service when forced into analog. Since this doesn't have a speakerphone, a headset will work just fine and you can even close the phone and talk on the phone. You just have to remember to open it back up to hit the end button to disconnect the call, as this phone doesn't automatically hangup a caller with the phone closed. I'm already working on getting a desktop charger and an extended battery to have as a spare. The desktop charger charges both the phone itself and a spare battery.

Collapse -
Activation fees
by BBKahuna / December 30, 2004 1:38 PM PST

I'd strongly recommend you call in to Verizon Wireless customer service.

Unless you have a business or employee liable corporate account with a specific contract, activation fees are never waived. I'm thinking you went to a non-corporate VZW retail store? Probably an authorized retailer like a Radioshack.

Regardless of what any agent tells you, activation fees always show on the first bill, and since April (I believe) they are not waived.

Collapse -
In-Network is on all lines now:
by BBKahuna / December 30, 2004 1:36 PM PST

If you've switched your plan to America's Choice since August, *all* lines on the account have In-Network calls.

What likely happened to your co-worker is this:

Accounts are not automatically switched over, as free In-Network on all secondary lines is considered a new promotion and requires a renewal of your contract if you are not already under contract for more than a year.

If you still have an older plan that only offers In-Network on the primary and family calling on the secondary (or if you are paying the $10 to have In-Network on the secondaries) then you'll want to call and ask to be changed over on your billing cycle.

Collapse -
by jordo / September 15, 2004 2:45 AM PDT

I would try AT&T if i were you just make sure you get a good phone.If you get a bad phone it will drop calls but i know of 2 realy good at&t phones THe NEC 525 or The Motorola V600 those are both 2 good phones.
Hope this info helps

Collapse -
by dee/p / September 15, 2004 2:52 AM PDT

there is no coverage for att in the zipcode for wy and they are rated the worst in consumers report.

Collapse -
by poohgld / September 17, 2004 9:04 PM PDT

I travel all over the country and verizon has been the best for me. I have tried them all and it's still verizon. Join the in network and all your calls to and from verizon customers are free.

Collapse -
by Mary / September 18, 2004 7:38 AM PDT

I just wanted to say I just got the verizon LG 3200 phone and it's nice. I don't have regular service on it though I have verizon prepaid because that works good for me since I don't make a lot of calls and want it for emergency purposes. I had the Kyrocera one before that on verizon prepaid so I have been using prepaid for about 3yrs. now and with that service I can call all over the country no problems. Used it every night in Florida to call back home in NY and it didn't eat up a whole lot of minutes and I had no connection problems. I even use it across the border in Canada to call home and I connect fine. The minutes carry over from month to month so you don't loose them. Don't know if prepaid would be worth if for you or work for your situation but check it out.

Collapse -
by JOESTER / October 6, 2004 6:13 AM PDT

AT THIS MOMENT OCT. 2004 VERIZON WIRELESS HAS MADE A BIG CHANGE AND IMPROVE THEIR NATIONWIDE NETWORK BY ADDING MORE CELL SITES EACH YEAR...

MAKE SURE YOU UPDATE THE COVERAGE EVERY 2-3 MONTH. BECAUSE VERIZON ADDS MORE CELL SITE TOWERS EVERY EYAR.

Collapse -
by polo1 / October 30, 2004 6:06 AM PDT

Is there anyway to know where the cell sites are being added, or have just been added? I travel a lot to Arizona - the Colorado River area, and as of 3 weeks ago, there isn't much there as far as cell sites.

Collapse -
by dave1973 / October 31, 2004 12:58 PM PST

I wish i knew where they were adding towers as well. I do a lot of traveling through Wisconsin, northern Indiana, and sometimes lower Michigan. i especially wished they could cover Michigan better, but it's the FCC that's keeping them from expanding in Michigan, and Alltel has lousy coverage in Michigan.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?