Phones forum

General discussion

Verizon...again..

Ok...based on the great reviews I read here and other places, I bit the bullet yesterday and bought the LGVX6100 - I've been with Verizon for awhile now and have had my present phone for more than 2 years. For customers, the cost was $149; with $100 off that and then there is a $50 mail in refund...(making the cost 'zero') - I paid California tax on the $149 and I bought the car charger (it comes with the electric plug in charger) - so all in all I think I got a good deal. After fiddling with it for awhile, (I don't read manuals) I programmed in my telephone lists (they would have done it for me for $10) - I think I'm going to like this new 'toy' - Thanks for all your posts and advice....

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Verizon...again..
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Verizon...again..
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
LG 6100

In reply to: Verizon...again..

I bought the 6100 on 10/19 and was wondering what you thought of the call clarity and the speaker phone clarity? Do you know where you can download new ring tones and wallpaper for this phone? Does the phone get warm if your'e on a long conversation? This may sound strange, but sometimes it seems I get a slight headache after using it for awhile, anyone else?

Collapse -
Re: LG 6100

In reply to: LG 6100

I just read about a site - www.3gupload.com for free ringtones, games and graphics. I haven't been there yet - going to check it out today. I have the LG 4400 and am thinking of purchasing the 6100 or the Motorola V710. Any advice?

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: LG 6100

motorolla sounds better, for some reasont he lg phones have horrible sound quality, u dont notice but the other person will notice when u switch phones. try it and see if u notice.

Collapse -

my phone works great but i only use the head set or the speaker phone, so i dont know about headaches. i used the speaker phone and my wife had no idea she was on one! great phone, i too am looking for ways to download new rintones, let me know if you find a way. i was watching Tech TV one day and they offered a site you can download tones and then e-mail them to the phone but i cant find the link on their site.

Collapse -

My wife and I upgraded to the 6100. As far as the speaker phone goes. Most cell phones that have speakers are going to sound "tinny" compared to home phones with speakers. But, the speaker on the 6100 works and it is fuctional. The LG 7000 is a good phone, in fact it is their "Mack Daddy" But, it does not have all the features the 6100 has and vice versa. I don't need or want to send video messages. The camera is good and the phone itself is one of the best I have seen/used. As far as a headache. I have not had a headache by using the 6100. I think you should take some advil for that...Lol

Collapse -
Re: LG 6100...side note

@strykernyc I have to disagree with you. I have used and tried a Motorola and an LG side by side and either the person I was talking to could not tell the difference or they said the LG sounded better/louder/crisper. Maybe the LG you were using had some flaws or something. But, the LG6100 is up there in quality. Motorola are becoming reruns.
On another note...if you noticed LG was not really popular till a short while ago. Does any remember hearing about or buying LG cellphones 2 years ago? I doubt it. LG is made by Goldstar and as we all know Goldstar was always a low-end brand. If we started seeing phones that said Goldstar...most people would think of them of low end. So, now they have become high tech and in order to sell their high tech stuff...they came out with the name LG. It fooled me...till I found out who made LG.

Collapse -
Gold star

In reply to: Re: LG 6100...side note

Yes Lg is made by gold star but they have come a long way there better

Collapse -

about the ringtones you can get them from get it now on your phone or if you want a wider selection you can go to midiringtones.com and register and they have graphics and they will send the ringtpnes to your phone

Collapse -

This is very "cut and dry" in regard to more ring tones for the 6100. Simply go to "get it now." You can go to "get it now" by going to your menu, then hit 5...then hit 1. Or you can go to "get it now" via your PC and get plenty of different ring tones designed for your 6100. I could not see using any other service for ring tones. Your best bet is to stick with the service Verizon directs you to, to get any extras....common sense dictates this.

Collapse -
LG 6100

I just got the LG 6100 phone yesterday and i have been trying to download ringtones and i'm not sure how. how does the get it now feature work in order to get ringtones. i'm really new to this so i need help. thanks a bunch!

Collapse -
ring tones

click on menue than click on 5, it is called get it now.
You can also go to the verizon web site and type in get it now. That is a start.

Collapse -

I just bought the phone on 12.4.04 and I have noticed that it gets very warm after long conversations, but no headaches. The speaker phone is great and the color on the screen is vibrant. I am pleased and I am learning new things daily. This is my first experience with a flip phone. So far so good!

Collapse -
Re: Verizon...again..

well... I have heard from several places... that they don't work... is it true? Do you have any problems with the tracfone cell phone?

Collapse -

Actually they should have transferred your contacts for free if you had the "New every 2" option, but maybe that wasn't the case. If it was, I would go back in and ask for the $10 back...

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Verizon...again..

Yes, when my wife and I got the new phones via upgrades after 2 years. After we bought the new phones and got everything set up. They offered to program our new cell phones with the contacts from our old cell phones FOR FREE, it is part of the deal.
Otherwise it would have been 10 bucks per phone. In fact if you are getting a new phone regardless of what the plan is. They should do it for free....as long as it is a verizon to verizon phone.

Collapse -

Once again, I want to warn unsuspecting Verizon subscribers about LG phones. I'm outraged that Verizon would unleash these incredibly bad phones on the public, relying on customers to turn in bad phones rather than testing them in the first place. These phones have minimal battery life, and drop calls all the time. Why would you want idiotic features (such as a terrible, low-rez digital camera) when the phone cannot do the basics right--like sustain a phone call??

Collapse -

You must have tried or used a defective phone or something. Because, I have compared the top of the line LG phones to top of the line other phones like Motorola, etc.; and the LG has had not one flaw for me. Everything on the 6100 is impeccable and I could not think of any other phone I would rather have for the price. If you look at the professional reviews about the LG. Those reviews will tell you the same thing I am telling you. Or just ask others that have the LG. Sure your are going to find unhappy campers. But, over all...you will find mostly happy campers regarding the 6100. There is always going to be something better. So, what might be not too good on a feature of the phone...they make up for it on having the important features work class A. That goes for any phone. Common sense dictates this.
I have had all brands and all different types of phones and did my research and I could not be happier with my 6100. It is a sturdy and highly functional phone that is also fun to use. As far as the lifetime on the battery. It depends on how much you talk on it. I left one of my 6100's on stand by for over 6 days and it still had 3 bars left. Not only that. You don't have to wait till the battery is drained to recharge the phone...unlike most phones where the battery gets messed up if you charge it when it is still half full. I was able to fully charge the phone while it was on while having just one 30 to 40 minute conversation, weather you are in your car or at home. Not only that, I have an extra battery (that I really did not need) just in case I had to rush somewhere and I wanted a full charge.
The only thing I am waiting for, is the desktop charger.
Other than that, for the price...the 6100 is Aces.

Note:
The do have an ultra long life battery for the LG. But, I have noticed not many people need it. But, if you need about 400 hours stand because you are in the middle of nowhere where there is no power of cars. Then, get the ultra battery. Then again, I don't think you will get a signal if you are that far away from civilization. But, you never know (dueling banjoes).

Collapse -

I agree completly. I am very happy with my 6100, although I would like more variety in downloadable ringtones

Collapse -
Pushing LGs

Unbelievable ... we're getting the same nonsense being trotted out. Davenyc acts as if I'm complaining about the lack of features (and then proceeds to give a long advertorial about the LG 6100 -- hmmm). I am absolutely not complaining about the lack of features. In fact, I'm complaining about the fact that the phone has too many useless features and can't do the basics right, like sustain a phone call. I just can't believe the story about the 6 days of no charge and 3 battery bars left. That just wasn't my experience -- not even close.

Then you have "Tjr" complainaing about the lack of ringtones -- you have to be kidding me. RINGTONES??? That's not what I care about in a cell phone. I want it to work.

I love the "logic" of another message: LG is basically Goldstar, a low end brand that decided to go "high end" and so changed its name. What planet is the writer from?? Just because a company stamps a new name on its phones makes it a better company!?!? You've got to be kidding me.

The bit about being able to charge the battery without a full discharge is ALSO not right in my experience. Folks, most of today's batteries don't have the "memory" issue. Just do the appropriate google search and figure it out. Also: All the reviews I've seen for the LG 6100 "long life" battery have suggested that it doesn't last long at all.

There is another side to this: I'm positive that with these phony/positive reviews, lots of people will (unfortunately) choose LG phones: They're good looking, they win the "features war" hands down (you can download ringtones, take crappy pictures -- imagine that!!), further folks on this forum have planted good reviews. These unsuspecting customers will turn in their phones or trash them once they are disappointed. I think this is a criminal waste of resources that could have gone elsewhere. Further, it rewards awful phone-makers and punishes the companies that make decent phones that actually work. It's also bad for the environment. Folks: THINK about what you want in a phone -- then buy the basic phone that does the job.

Collapse -
Pushing LGs...Lol

In reply to: Pushing LGs

Well, it seems smitra123 is the only person that truly has a problem with LG. I could not care about the camera or the other features. I never take pictures and the others features simply came with the phone that I got. I have had them all, from A to Z and I personally have no problem with the LG 6100. I don't know what happened with smitra123's LG, I don't know what his/her story is and I don't know if he/she has ever owned one. Maybe he/she dropped the phone or was shammed. Who knows, who cares.

As far as companies deciding to go hi end, that is not uncommon. Radio Shack at one time only sold Radio Shack brands. Now they sell name brands, a lot of the TV's that had a Radio Shack logo on them were made by RCA and a lot of the electronics were made by Pioneer and Toshiba. Even clothing stores upgrade their merchandise. The Gap for example...at one time they were called "The Gap" and sold cheap low end clothes. Now the store is called "Gap" and they sell high end stuff that you can even see in GQ magazine. So, what planet is this writer from?

I have two LG's, one was on stand by for 6 days with bars and one I used to talk on and of course that had to be recharged twice within a week. If you don't believe that...that is on you. You most likely got a sham LG or a refurbished LG. Who knows? But, from what the people I know that have them at my office said...in regard to how well they work and from what I read before I bought my phone. All fingers pointed to the LG and I have no regrets. Of course they have better phones out there. But, I have had not one problem with my phone regarding sound, calls and anything else you can think of. Read the professional reviews that say LG is a bad phone and post the link so we all can learn something from you.

By the way, I don't work for LG. So, I am not pushing them. I am just stating my experiences with the phone itself. If it was junk and I was having problems with it. I would mention it. I have no reason to lie and I don't make one red cent posting on this forum. The people who read what I write can take it for what it is worth and for the people that have LG, I doubt you are going to find the majority complaining about them. Of course you have a few wackos that feel that nothing is good enough regardless of the brand, etc.; So, those type of people will always complain. I am not that type of person. I only call things they way I see them.

Collapse -
Pushing LGs

In reply to: Pushing LGs...Lol

"Davenyc" claims he isn't pushing LG phones. I would ask people to read these quotes and decide for themselves:

1) "and the LG has had not one flaw for me. Everything on the 6100 is impeccable and I could not think of any other phone I would rather have for the price."

2) "I have had all brands and all different types of phones and did my research and I could not be happier with my 6100. It is a sturdy and highly functional phone that is also fun to use."

3) "The camera is good and the phone itself is one of the best I have seen/used."

Hmmmm .... My personal experience with LG has been directly the opposite. I spent a lot of time at Verizon first purchasing and then returning the phone. If you surf the web, you'll find several complaints along the lines I've mentioned (minimal battery life, dropped calls all the time, crappy sound). I think Verizon should be ashamed to unleash these awful phones on unsuspecting customers. It's true that teenyboppers who care about ringtones, about a camera that takes awful pictures, and the like, would like the LG6100. But not any mature person who wants a phone that works.

Collapse -
Pushing LGs

It seems that smitra123 got an LG that had some defects during manufacturing, that is not unheard of. I wonder how many other LG's this person used or was it just this one LG smitra123 used. They are selling like hotcakes and if they were so bad, common sense dictates they would not be their highest selling phone.
I want to know what phone smitra123 is using now, the make and model. That way we can all have the best phone ever made. Because if smitra123 is not using LG, than smitra123 must have found a phone that we don't know about that works twice as good as the LG 6100 for the price. Once I find out whit smitra123 is using...I will compare.
I have had not one problem with the 6100. Not one dropped call, everything works "Johnny on the spot."
But, if there is a better phone that works twice as good as the LG for the price, I want to know about it. I'm sure we all want to know.
I can feel smitra123's frustration though. Because, I am saying I have not one problem with my LG's and others really like the phone as well.
smitra123 must have got either a sham phone or it had defects when it was built.
Look at how this smitra123 is going out of his/her's way to quote me...it is like some sort of obsession. Maybe it was not the phone and it is smitra123 him/herself that has the problem and with the help of a little therapy this problem can be cured and this phone obsession will stop and this obsession with me will stop.
Don't read what I have to say about the 6100...Read the professional reports on.

Collapse -
Everyone who's posted ASIDE from you thinks its awesome!

You are basically providing one experience on the Lg phone and denouncing how awful it is.

Yes, it sucks that your phone isn't working well for you, but reading the forum it's easy to see how many people ARE happy with the phone. Look at the reviews on Phonescoop.com! The LG6000, 7000, 6100, 3200, 4500 all have good to excellent reviews.

Why don't you try exchanging the phone before deriding it as awful, 6100 was probably the most popular phone this holiday season due to the buy one get up to four free that Verizon ran on it for a couple of months, and everyone I talk to loves it.

Just because you as one person are having negative experiences with it, doesn't mean it's not a fantastic phone (and it is).

Collapse -
Repeated pushing of LGs

In reply to: Everyone who's posted ASIDE from you thinks its awesome!

Just as a public service, I will repeat: Do not get LG phones. This time, a second person bought this crappy phone. The result: Three dropped calls in 15 minutes. He's taking it back. Folks who are reading this forum should read carefully the language that the hacks pushing LGs use. Is this language that "real" people use or is it straight of a marketing page book? I would recommend that you get a low-end Kyocera or Nokia -- or any other "basic" phone that does the job. Only morons care about ringtones and low-end cameras.

Collapse -
Comment on LG6100

In reply to: Repeated pushing of LGs

I got the LG6100 and tried it for the 15 days. I like the tri-mode feature plus the speaker phone but I just traded for the VX7000. THe LG6100 keyboard was too small for my fat fingers and I kept miss-dialing. Also the speaker phone is way too tinny - NEXTEL was much better for speakerphone. I miss the speakerphone but I realize the earbud is a better way to go. I don;t go to too many remote places so I am hoping the loss of the tri-mode benefit will not hurt.

Collapse -
repeated nonsense

In reply to: Repeated pushing of LGs

smitra123, if you are angry about your phone, do not under any circumstance think it is anyone here's fault. it is a faulty phone. you are the one person here who has had a lousy experience. as for dropped calls, none for me. this phone constantly has 4-5 bars of signal strength. as for this: "Only morons care about ringtones and low-end cameras." ~smitra123, that was an uneccesary remark completely disregarding rules of this forum and completely disrespecting all who have interest in modifcations. and i know i am not the only one that thinks that a camera, as bad as you think it may be, is nice to be able to take a quick snapshot of a quick even t thats not coming back. so i think that on behalf of everyone who you've attacked unrightfully, back off and keep your own bad thoughts to yourself.

Collapse -
I agree!

In reply to: Everyone who's posted ASIDE from you thinks its awesome!

I could not have said it better. Of course there are going to be ups and downs on every phone on the market. But, the 6100 is by far one of the nicest and best phones on the market today for the price. Only one person I heard complaining about and that person is on this forum thread. The professional reviews are giving the phone 4 stars. That is the pros talking. Then you have people like us and not one person I know has had any serious problems with it. I would like to know what phone this person has. Maybe he/she knows something we don't. That way we can all have a cool phone like this person has. Maybe this person was not able to get this phone for whatever reasons and all of this persons friends have it and is upset because she/him does not have one.
Regardless. The LG 6100 is one of the best phones on the market. We can't change the facts.

Collapse -
NOT one of the best phones

In reply to: I agree!

davenyc,
Apparently, you haven't read my first post. The LG6100 is by far the worst phone I've ever owned. I'm now on my second one - only because I was dumb enough to let the creeps at Verizon talk me into another one, with the excuse that I just had a "bad" phone. Well, this new one is only slightly better than the first one. Unfortunately, my 15-day trial period is up and I'm stuck with this one for a while.

You don't know how badly I wish this phone worked. Although I don't use things like the camera or text messaging, and I don't give a hoot about ringtones, I do like the speaker phone "concept" and the voice command, and some of the other features. Too bad the most important feature - clear reception - is lacking. I got this phone because I was told it worked better in remote locations, like our vacation home in the Adirondacks, but it barely works there. Heck, it barely works at my home in NJ, and I'm three blocks from a Verizon substation!

I'm very happy for you, davenyc. I'm more than happy - I'm jealous.

Collapse -
Hacks

In reply to: NOT one of the best phones

FYI -- the speakerphone is available at least on the Nokia, and probably also on the Kyocera. The idiots at Verizon (great network, lousy reps) told me that the Nokia had no speakerphone and strongly recommended the LG. (Like the hacks posting on this board, Verizon is pushing LGs too -- probably highly profitable phones.) I too wanted a speakerphone, but I was so frustrated by my LG experience, that I chose the Nokia anyway. To my delight, I discovered that the Nokia did indeed have a speakerphone. I think it has voice dialing, but I don't care for or use that feature, so haven't bothered to check.

The reason I'm angry about this guerilla (I'd call it gorilla, but that would be insulting the Great Ape) marketing on this forum is that it actually encourages people to waste their time and resources. And, of course, it results in phones being discarded into landfills.

Collapse -
Well said davenyc

Just got this phone and overall I am very satisfied. Your posting needs nothing more to add, great...

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.