Phones forum

General discussion

Verizon

by SSHGuru / August 2, 2004 12:15 PM PDT

I changed from AT&T to Verizon 2 months ago and I have some stuff to say.

AT&T had horrible coverage. That was the only reason I left. As far as their customer service I have always believed it was second to none.

This month I got $300 bill from Verizon. When I called to ask why my bill was so high they said it was because I was using the internet so much. Well my internet calls are about 1 minute to check stock quotes. They told me that in order to hang up on the internet I had to press end. Closing the clamshell keeps you online. This is unlike a voice call where when you close the shell it's disconnected.

There is nothing in the literature to warn you about this.

I have spoken to several supervisors about the issue and the attitude has been too bad so sad - you should have known. It's been as bad as someone saturday saying they didnt have the power to reverse charges but they could give me 100 minutes for next month (which I refused). Now, today when I spoke to supervisors they offered me 50 minutes. When I told them I had already been offered 100 they said I should have taken it.

While I have been far more satisfied with the Verizon coverage I have to say that with AT&T they would have fixed the problem and asked me if there was anything more they could do.

As a result, I have cancelled the internet on both our phones saving $10 a month - I figure that will recoup my losses by the end of my contract. At that time I will switch carriers.

I cannot tell you how disgusted I am at the attitude of Verizon. They have to be the most greedy company I have dealt with. At least Sprint lies straight to your face.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Verizon
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Verizon
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Verizon
by dave1973 / August 3, 2004 3:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Verizon

It might depend on the phone you have. Not all phones disconnect calls when you close the phone. That is your responsibility to make sure your internet is diconnected, and I have to agree with Verizon Wireless on that. I read on a US Cellular term and condition that you must physically press the end button to end voice and data connections. Or you will continue to be billed for that call. I always make sure I press the end button to make sure my calls are diconnected. I don't blame Verizon Wireless for your problem, and No I don't work for Verizon Wireless, but I've had them for 2 1/2 years. I had better service from Verizon than Radio Shack, who set up my service.

Collapse -
by SSHGuru / August 12, 2004 4:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Verizon

Yeah well I didnt see it in any instructions - and the least they could do for a new customer is give a credit - even if partial.

Bad customer service.

Collapse -
by sanchke / August 19, 2004 12:33 AM PDT

Its kind of unfortunate you feel that way. I have stood in line behind a Verizon customer blazing mad that he went over his minutes for several months and that no one bothered to tell him that he was going over. What in the heck do people think?!!! All due respect, but I am a true believer that it is the customers responsibility to check on their minutes on a daily basis so that they can catch discrepancies early before they turn into Huge Pocket Tearing issues. I believe you are the one that should be responsible for the error not Verizon Wireless, for the simple fact that I mentioned above. By the way, the poor guy getting reamed by the customer at the store, won because it was not his responsibility to babysit every customer that goes over on their minutes on a monthly basis. To avoid any future issues about minutes, I suggest dialing *646 and checking on your minutes on a daily basis (this is how I avoid any problems). This function will keep you updated on your airtime usage and best of all for you, it's airtime free. So have at it, and Good Luck. By-the-way, the world does not revolve around customers that have overage issues. I fact all wireless companies love customers to go over because that helps build up on their network more the faster. Just in case you are wondering, I work customer service for a service company, and I am a Verizon user also, so I totally understand what you have been through. I have been on both sides of the fence. The difference is I know how to act rationally when there is a big issue.

Collapse -
by dave1973 / August 19, 2004 3:47 AM PDT

I totally agree with your comment on it's the customer's responsibility to check their airtime minutes as well as making sure the phone is disconnected from the network. I always check to make sure my calls are disconnected and also check my minutes. I even make sure I check my roaming indicator to make sure if I'm in extended or roaming.

Collapse -
by marcf / August 21, 2004 1:55 PM PDT

I personally do check my minutes used, on-line. The numbers Verizon gives me are always incorrect! I keep a log, and calls add up even if I don't use the phone, and the final bill always doesn't agree with the on-line totals.

This happens every month. When I call to complain the Verizon reps (all of them) tell me I am wrong, their computers don't make such mistakes.

I completely agree. the Verizon customer service reps are the most infuriating of any company I have ever dealt with.

Collapse -
by liz625 / September 10, 2004 7:18 AM PDT

I tried the *646 number and it didn't work. I think the number you meant was *611 which is customer service. *611 is the number I call to check my minutes.

Collapse -
by bleu_tropix / October 6, 2004 5:01 PM PDT

Isn't it #646? That's what I've been using this whole time without any hassle. And you can also use the #BAL for your current balance info...great customer service tools...I personally use the #MIN everyday, so there's no excuse for going over my monthly minutes.

Collapse -
most greedy company
by marcf / August 21, 2004 2:08 PM PDT

Yes I agree. I just discovered a monthly charge for "download" which appeared every month since we got the phones. (The bill is 20 pages, the charge is one line, so it's hard to catch it.) We never download anything. The Verizon rep will NOT reverse the charges.

Apparently the download feature came with the phone and we didn't notice the text in the 60 page instruction book about how to turn it off. I don't even know what we are downloading!

Collapse -
by rickyfitts / August 26, 2004 1:59 PM PDT

my advise to you is dial *611 from your phone. They have reversed all kinds of charges for me. I have had them for three years and will not be swithing to anyone after my contract is up.Verizon's calling area is superior to everyone, but if you go to the store for customer service before dialing 611 you will get no where. I have had $1200 phone bills from AT&T. I have had $600 phone bills from Alltel, and have had all kinds of billing problems with other carriers. Each time I have gone over my minutes or roamed they have credited me. The only thing with Verizon is I had a SCHa- 310 and it was the most terrible phone i ever owned and it was tough and took about 5 times of getting it replaced with the same model before the finally gave me a Motorola V-60 for free, i didnt like it either but it still worked, Now I have a samsung a-670 and I love it.

Collapse -
by ldyoutlaw / September 3, 2004 7:48 AM PDT

I am experiencing the same terrible service from Customer Service. They act like existing customers mean nothing to them. They expect you to honor their 2 year contracts but won't make sure you have working phones. You either have to pay full price for a new phone, try to get an early upgrade and then sign a new 2 year contract, pay the $175 per line to terminate or just live with a non-working phone for the balance of your contract. I have worked my way past the regular customer services reps, passed the supervisors and about to surpass the Managers as their answers are no different then the little fish in their ponds. Thank goodness my Verizon DSL and Verizon home phones are not on a contract because that will be cancelled within the next 30 days.

Collapse -
Re: Greedy Verizon
by CathinME / September 10, 2004 5:19 AM PDT

Just found this forum and am delighted! I'd like to suggest whenever you have a dispute about your bill that you DONT PAY THAT PORTION OF IT. Lawyers, please correct me if I'm wrong; Submit a note to Verizon (not the same place you send your bill) with a copy of your bill hilighting the area in question. Let them know you are contesting that portion of the bill. Send another note to either your public utilities commission and/or State's attorney general's office letting them know you would like an investigation into what appears to be unfair practice. Enclose a copy of this note in with the letter to Verizon. Though this all requires a little effort, I have great faith you will be successful in not having to pay it. Don't get me wrong...I believe we should all be responsible in monitoring our usage...but I have no sympathy for corporate America.

Collapse -
Re: Greedy Verizon
by strykernyc / September 11, 2004 7:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Greedy Verizon

WORD i couldnt have say it better. u have to get notice so they can feel the pain.

Collapse -
by JOESTER / October 6, 2004 6:20 AM PDT

SURE THING . I AGREE WITH YOU ON THAT. VERIZON CAN BE ROUGH AT TIMES.

Collapse -
by dave1973 / October 6, 2004 11:20 AM PDT

No carrier is perfect, but the original poster should have known that you have to press "End" to disconnect from the internet. Same with disconnecting a regular phone call. My Samsung SCH-a650, which I got 08/31/2004 doesn't disconnect calls or internet by closing the phone. It stays connected. It states in the manual of my phone that the "End" button must be pressed in order to disconnect from the internet, or a phone call (unless the phone call disconnects on its own). So I don't feel sorry for the original poster for not disconnecting from the internet. I've never had any real issues from Verizon Wireless and recommend them to people in my area.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.