Speakeasy forum

General discussion

'Verichip/Mondex Smartcard'-- Mark of the Beast?

by lylesg / March 17, 2004 10:51 AM PST

At the link below there is an interesting presentation that someone created about the matter. Give the first page time to load and the subsequent pages are set at six second increments. Six seconds is a bit short for some of the pages, but the nice fellow that created the URL using the original Power Point presentation put navigation buttons at the top of each page. Happy

I am a Christian, therefore, I believe what is written in the Bible. As far as the Mark of the Beast happening in my lifetime, I wouldn?t have the slightest clue. But for me, this presentation is a good indication of how it may transpire when the time comes.

It is also a good indication of how much personal privacy we will surrender one day.

Thanks to Blake and Rosalie.

Mondex Smartcards

More Info.

mojo

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 'Verichip/Mondex Smartcard'-- Mark of the Beast?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 'Verichip/Mondex Smartcard'-- Mark of the Beast?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I have mixed feeling about this, mojo.
by Rosalie / March 18, 2004 12:33 AM PST

It's both fascinating and scary. This chip can be a powerfully good tool regarding medical and security concerns.

"You can't stop technology just because it might someday, somewhere, be abused. And the VeriChip does have near-miraculous potential. An Alzheimer's patient, for example, would benefit if medical information were available to that person immediately in a scannable format. Soldiers or journalists might well choose to have their whereabouts tracked on a GPS during a war. A VeriChip might have helped prevent the death of Daniel Pearl, The Wall Street Journal reporter who was kidnapped and murdered in Pakistan."

And then on the other hand we have this:

"STRICTLY VOLUNTARY? So far so good. But now imagine that same chip being used by a totalitarian government to keep track of or round up political activists or others who are considered enemies of the state. In the wrong hands, VeriChip could empower the wrong people."

And this part is a joke, right?

"The U.S. government might consider regulating the international sale of the VeriChip tracking device in much the same way it regulates the sale of arms to rogue states."

As for the Mark of the Beast ... sounds close doesn't it? At any rate I don't think I'll run out and get implanted anytime soon. Happy

Collapse -
Re:I have mixed feeling about this, mojo.
by Dan McC / March 18, 2004 1:21 AM PST
As for the Mark of the Beast ... sounds close doesn't it? At any rate I don't think I'll run out and get implanted anytime soon.

How do you know you aren't implanted already?

Where are Mulder and Scully when we need them?

Dan
Collapse -
Re:I have mixed feeling about this, mojo.
by Mary Kay / March 18, 2004 2:10 AM PST

Rosalie , we may not have to worry about tyrannical governments. They might some day replace a social security # implanted at birth.:-) I do read too much Steven King

Collapse -
Difficult to read, pages change too quickly.
by James Denison / March 18, 2004 1:41 AM PST

Maybe you could change the timing on some of those pages to make it easier to read.

Collapse -
The timing could be changed, however there is a back button at the top...
by Rosalie / March 18, 2004 2:03 AM PST
Collapse -
NT - The page timings have now been adjusted. Try the link again...
Collapse -
Much Better, thanks. [nt]

[nt]

Collapse -
Re:'Verichip/Mondex Smartcard'-- Mark of the Beast?
by Roger NC / March 18, 2004 1:58 AM PST

While not disparging anyone's interpretation, I remember a few decades ago.

There were huge discussions about a supercomputer being expanded in Brussels, nicknamed the beast, and a movement to implement a worldwide id number. The implementation was to begin by changing the current 3-2-4 format of our SS numbers to a 6-6-6 format, three sets of six digits. Back then that was considered enough to spread around the world and account for everyone.

They discussed the formation of the European commom market, and how there were some nations that wouldn't be allowed, but replaced by dividing them up and one new nation. This was related to the section about the horns of the beast.

The new id number was proposed to be used as a monetary account number too, and creditcard, everything you had would bear the same number. Then the proposal was to use an ink only visible under special lights to tattoo the number on the right hand.

Henry Kissenger was tied into it all somehow too, sorry I can't remember the details there. It had something to do with the fact he couldn't run for President because he wasn't native born American.

So while everyone is entitled to form and express opinions about their interpretation of prophecies in religion, don't let one version too quickly dominated your own opinion. While reading and pondering, don't forget to apply some skepticism and form your own opinions on what your religion expects of you.

RogerNC

click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Re:Re:'Verichip/Mondex Smartcard'-- Mark of the Beast? Reply #1
by lylesg / March 18, 2004 10:13 PM PST

I vaguely remember Kissenger allegedly being tied to that supercomputer thing. But like you. I do not remember the details.

Please read part two of this reply. I guess my reply cantains to much data for a single post. However, it's not a very long post I don't think.

mojo

Collapse -
Re:Re:'Verichip/Mondex Smartcard'-- Part #2 of 3 Sorry about the seg's...
by lylesg / March 18, 2004 10:17 PM PST

The many benefits, as Rosalie mentioned, of devices such as the Mondex Smartcard certainly makes it a worth while endeavor in many respects. I am considering having a similar device implanted in each of my two dogs. However, I do feel that something like this may one day be just another brick removed from the wall of personal privacy, what we now have left of our privacy.

mojo

Collapse -
#3 of 3--Sorry about the segmented post. I couldn't get it load in a single post.
by lylesg / March 18, 2004 10:20 PM PST

I live near an interstate hwy. and am approximately fifteen to twenty minutes from a large city. After getting on the interstate headed toward the city, I am sure there must be one hundred plus DOT cameras down this stretch of highway that monitors traffic. Of course this stretch of interstate passes by an International Airport, so maybe they need a few extra shots in the area. But, driving in from the other end of the city there are cameras beaming down from every angle, too. In fact, there are cameras on all six interstate segments around this city. That?s a lot of cameras. The intended use of these cameras is good thing, but one day after all the street corners have cameras I am really going to feel the -- big eye ball looking down on me-- syndrome. My car has a black box that was installed by the manufacturer. If I do not service my car, it is recorded. If my vehicle is involved in and accident, all the data such as speed, breaking (skidding), seatbelt usage, low tire and probably a few other things are recorded as well. The insurance companies like the idea of the boxes. Of course this data helps the manufacturers build better and safer automobiles too. But, it is an invasion of my privacy and I don?t like it. I have nothing to hide, but I don?t like my every move being tracked either.

The Mondex presentation is a bit of a stretch of the imagination and I was curious to hear others opinions on the idea. Happy

mojo

Collapse -
Take the box out, Mojo.

You don't need big brother watching you. It doesn't matter of it's governmental or corporate intrusion, your life is still your own.

Dan

Collapse -
One word of caution regarding removing black box
by Roger NC / March 18, 2004 11:52 PM PST

I'm not sure, but I seem to remember in past news articles about those black boxes, that to remove it or disable it voids the vehicle warrenty. I could be mistaken, but that seems to be recalled.

And I'm not sure but some of the manufactureres have combined the black box part with the computer control of the car functions. So removing it may interfere with the proper operation. Perhaps someone more up to date and familair can vouch me right or wrong on that. Perhaps you're more knowledgeable than I about it and can correct me if and as needed regarding the computer tie-ins.

RogerNC

Collapse -
It's hooked into the air bag system.
by James Denison / March 19, 2004 1:27 AM PST

When an air bag deploys that is what shuts it off so the last 5 seconds of data entry is stored. I'm not sure, but it may even be illegal to disable it intentionally.

Collapse -
NT-Roger is right, warranty issues. An MIT Eng. would probably find it difficult AW.
by lylesg / March 19, 2004 8:40 AM PST

Collapse -
Mojo, did you choose to have that black box installed? -NT

Collapse -
Rosalie, on virtually all domestic made automobiles......
by lylesg / March 19, 2004 9:12 AM PST

starting in the year 2000, have the black box. Many models prior to the year 2000 have them as well. Most import vehicles do not have such a system. The insurance companies are now lobbying for future laws prohibiting an owner from removing the box. About a year ago, I posted an article about this and the proposed laws preventing removal. As best I can remember the law enables the unit to be programed to dial a national hot-line number if it is tampered with or an attempted removal. Fines will result. It is also proposed that the unit will monitor the vehicle exhaust emissions and if the emissions do not meet national standards, the unit will notify an agency. The vehicle owner will then be notified and given a certain amount of time to have the vehicle brought up to whatever standard.

I doubt that the proposed laws will pass in the near future. But, one day it will be a part of life here in the US. Happy

mojo

Collapse -
Guress who's not buying a car with a black box... :-(
by Rosalie / March 19, 2004 9:46 AM PST

Was think of buying an import vehicle anyway, now I'm sure. Geez, talk about having this invasion of privacy shoved down your throat! I'm going down kicking and screaming.

Collapse -
Eventually you'll probably have no choice
by Roger NC / March 19, 2004 10:08 AM PST

in the name of protecting us from ourselves, it'll become law, and routine to download all the infomation in every wreak, fenderbender, or even a routine traffic stop.

And eventually it'll remember the GPS co-ordinates of everywhere you been and what day and time since the last download.

RogerNC

Collapse -
That "no choice" sounds ominous, Roger. How in the world did we ...
by Rosalie / March 19, 2004 10:13 AM PST

survive as long as we have without all these implants and black boxes??

I'm still going down kicking and screaming. Sad

Collapse -
Let's all start riding horses again. [nt]
by James Denison / March 19, 2004 10:26 AM PST

Collapse -
big brother versus big daddy?
by jonah jones / March 18, 2004 1:44 PM PST

technology on the one hand (sorry 'bout the pun :-)) and religion on the other?

why mix 'em.....

Collapse -
NT - I've heard the same things about SSN
by Diana Forum moderator / March 19, 2004 2:02 AM PST

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?