General discussion

Velocity Micro Vector SX-V

For someone such as myself who needs to purchase a new desktop PC for basic use; for email; surfing the web; personal finance; and word processing; I'm not into gaming; would the Vector SX-V PC by Velocity Micro be considered a good machine to consider?

I had considered purchasing from Dell and HP but both companies have serious tech support issues I've read about; too many complaints from customers who have purchased new systems from both companies wishing now that they hadn't. Personally I don't want to go down that road.

I read good reviews on PC Magazine.com as well as on this website's review section; both giving the Vector SX-V pretty good marks. Does anyone already own this machine and if you do; where is Velocity Micro's tech support located? Did you take out any extended warranty and if so for how long?

Has anyone who now owns a Vector SX-V machine encountered any tech support related issues and if so; how did those matters finally work out? To your satisfaction or not?

Big Steve
End Of Message
02/11/05

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Velocity Micro Vector SX-V
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Velocity Micro Vector SX-V
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Just got one....

I just purchased this machine a few weeks ago and recieved it yesterday. For me the price was right, especially considering the very personal care the company takes building the machines - just look at the wiring job picture on the CNET review.

VM's tech support is located in-house in Richmond, VA. I believe with after-hours support you call a pager # and are guaranteed a call back within 15 minutes. I haven't had to call with anything wrong so far, but any time I have called they've answered quick and given me a personal 'uncanned' response, even going as far to put me on hold so they can talk to the builders and see where my machine is in the assembly process.

For the $809 the base model costs and the upgradability it offers, it can't be beat in my opinion for everyday use. You can even get that $69 cheaper by sacrificing the 200gb HDD and getting the 120gb one as I did (still PLENTY of space). I upgraded mine to equal $1,215 (including the cool blue case) but these are not mandatory upgrades.

I'll recommend you check out resellerratings.com to see plenty of good and bad reviews about the company.

- Collapse -

First; thanks for the reference to resellerratings.com.
I read many good as well as bad reviews; most of the bad reviews had to do with delays in shipments. Now I'm really confused; I had already ruled out purchasing a new PC from Dell so I considered HP.

I read lots of negative feedback about HP both in this forum as well as other forums so I decided to check out another PC company; Velocity Micro but unfortunately I've now read many negative comments about them as well on resellerratings.com.

I'm totally confused now on which PC maker to go with. Hesitant to tie up a bunch of money in a new desktop PC I might just go with a cheap EMachine instead. If I do get burned it won't be for too much money. The Velocity Vector SX-V that I had configured came to $1,032.00 which for me isn't chicken feed.

Big Steve
End Of Message
02/11/05

- Collapse -
Re: Velocity Micro Vector SX-V

Believe I made a comment in a thread where you made a query about buying a computer:
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-7586-0.html?forumID=68&threadID=55032&messageID=745049
That Dell model special ended yesterday and will cost several $100 more today.

Also made a suggestion for the Velocity Micro here:
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-7586-0.html?forumID=68&threadID=59692&messageID=712048
Although I don't own a SX-V I also think the Velocity Micro SX-V is a good buy that can be configured to someones use with or without gaming requirements. As far as service support, they may be better than the big companies like Dell, Gateway, HP, Emachine, who % wise, are about the same for service IMO.

The CNet Review gave the Velocity Micro SX-V a 'Very Good' rating:
http://shopper.cnet.com/Velocity_Micro_Vector_SX_V/4014-3118_9-31213324.html?rvwtp=4505-3118_9-31213324-2&tag=nav&cip=1&orderby=90&sort=

- Collapse -
Just got mine today! and WOW no cheap stuff in this baby!

I am lost for words so far, i will update on this PC in about a month, had it on all day and works like a dream, the 6600 PCI express card really impressed me to, but of course i went from a ti 4600 MSI graphics card on a 4x motherboard.

- Collapse -

Thank you for your comments although I have absolutely no idea what you said. I hope you enjoy your new machine and will look forward to reading your comments in the future.

Big Steve
End Of Reply
02/12/05

CNET Forums

Forum Info