TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

VCR and Direct TV Satellite Receiver That Has electronic Eye

I have a VCR Recorder that is hooked up to my Direct TV Receiver. The VCR has a red "eye" that can take orders from the Direct TV Receiver and turn on the VCR and Tape as well as switch channels. The Direct TV Receiver has a wire that comes from the back of the receiver and sticks on the front of the VCR and this is what tells the VCR to record. My question:

Does anyone know where I can still buy a VCR that has this "electronic eye" or what ever it is called on it?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: VCR and Direct TV Satellite Receiver That Has electronic Eye
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: VCR and Direct TV Satellite Receiver That Has electronic Eye
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification To My Post

In reply to: VCR and Direct TV Satellite Receiver That Has electronic Eye

What is need ia a VCR that has a front "electronic eye" that will allow the Direct TV Receiver to send a message to the VCR to start recording after the Direct TV Guide is scheduled to tape the show.

Collapse -
That Red Eye

In reply to: VCR and Direct TV Satellite Receiver That Has electronic Eye

you refer to is the Infra Red (IR) sensor window, but of course you know that.

Any VCR that is operated with an IR remote control will have one of those windows on the front of it. It may not look quite the same as the one you have now, but it must be there for it to operate from the IR remote that comes with it.

As long as that wire from the DirecTV receiver goes in front of the VCR, and you have the codes entered correctly, it should work. There should be a little dohickey on the end of the wire.

Hope this helps

P

Collapse -
Thank You

In reply to: That Red Eye

Thank you. I was worried that I would not be able to find a VCR with the IR device.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.