Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

VCD or SVCD

I made a slide show of digital photos for my Grandkids,
added some Xmas music and some narration using Photostory3.
It all turned out great when burned to a regular CD(to view on a computer)
But if I make a SVCD or VCD to play on a DVD player the quality suffers, a little better on DVD but still not good.
I have tried various ideas changed to mpeg, and used several free programs + Nero and XP and they all make a CD that works but with poor quality.
Am I missing a point or is that to be expected. I figured they would not be perfect when viewed on a TV but they are not good viewed on the computer either.

Thanks Gene

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: VCD or SVCD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: VCD or SVCD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: VCD or SVCD

In reply to: VCD or SVCD

The TV can be some 1/4 the pixels you get on the PC, so you may have to just accept this or wait for HDTV...

However, my compromise is to place the original pictures on the CD as well. This way, you pass along the original great content.

Another out is that some DVD players have a picture mode. Just toss all the .JPGs onto a CDR and the DVD has a slideshow. Not as spiffy, but as technology gets better (HDTV) then the quality will look better.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: VCD or SVCD

In reply to: VCD or SVCD

It all depends on the quality you use when converting to VCD or SVCD. You are always losing quality when you re-encode, but you can keep the loss to a minimum.

I don't know how much you can configure the programs you use to give the video higher quality. You could use TMPGENC (if you have an avi file) to create the SVCD (SVCD is better than VCD) and there you can set the kbits/s, if you put this to a high value (2500 will do) then it should look good on a TV also.
Then you can burn the resulting mpeg file with Nero.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.