HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

VBScript Error

by Ed Bellah / March 18, 2004 10:24 PM PST

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this problem but here goes.

I am running Win XP HE with IE 6 and all Windows Updates installed. Yesterday I posted a comment on in a chat thread with no problem (http://www.lucianne.com). About 30 minutes later I tried to post to another thread on the same site and I got the following message:

Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a000d' Type mismatch: 'code' /asp-bin/postreply2inc.asp, line 256

Repeated attempts to post resulted in the same error message. A couple of times this resulted in a post showing date, time and my user name, but no message. Does anyone have any ideas as to the sudden inability to post?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: VBScript Error
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: VBScript Error
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:VBScript Error
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 19, 2004 12:05 AM PST
In reply to: VBScript Error

Ed,

The problem appears to be with the chat site itself. If you ever need to check some of these things, a good starting point is to perform a search on "Google". A search for the error message on "Google" comes up with quite a few "hits". Click on the link below:

Google Search for "Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a000d' "

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re:Re:VBScript Error
by Ed Bellah / March 19, 2004 1:58 AM PST
In reply to: Re:VBScript Error

Thanks for the references, even though they are somewhat over my head.... However, I have found that I have the following VBSCRIPT files on my pc:
VBSCRIPT c:\i386 (DL_File)
VBSCRIPT c:\Windows\I386 (DL_File)
vbscript.dll c:\Windows\system32 (application)
vbscript.dll c:\servicepackfiles\I386 (application)
Since I do not host a web page of any type, do I really need these files? If not, is there a way to uninstall them or is it OK just to delete them?

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:VBScript Error
by Kees Bakker / March 19, 2004 4:22 AM PST
In reply to: Re:Re:VBScript Error

The dll in windows\system32 is needed to run the scripts on the website in your browser. So don't delete it!
Not sure about the one in servicepackfiles. Don't even know I386.

The dl_ seem to be a remnant of some install; what's more in these folders?

Kees

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:VBScript Error
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 19, 2004 6:41 AM PST
In reply to: Re:Re:VBScript Error

Ed,

Visual Basic Scripting components are used by Internet Explorer when viewing webpages, plus a number of other programs that may be installed on your computer. The files listed in the I386 folders are "backup" to the original placements. Although VBS provides a few good things to the web experience, it also provides some of the "holes" where spyware and viruses can attack from the internet. I recommend leaving the files alone but not everyone feels that way.

Some folks choose to uninstall the Windows Scripting Host. (Not my choice, but that's up to you.) You might choose to follow the steps below:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2000050512031906

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thanks all
by Ed Bellah / March 19, 2004 10:43 AM PST

I tried the disable and enable, and was able to post some threads, and not able to post some threads. I'll keep working on the problem and will do step-by-step procedures outlined in your references. I appreciate your time and help. BTW, I even tried a System Restore back to before the problem started, but no luck there either.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.