General discussion

vb6 app does not work on win 7

Hi,

before you point me to other threads I have to say I read them all in last days Happy

This is MY problem:

there is this huge vb6 app that worked fine on XP, now when run on win 7 on half PCs is working on the other half it just does not.

If I install vb6 on the pc that the app is not working it will work fine after.

But I cannot install vb6 and should not install it on all those that it does not work, could be more than 200 installations.

I uninstalled vb6 and tried to check which dlls or ocxs are needed, I copied those from:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vbasic/ms788708.aspx

into system32 and syswow64 but still no luck.

I wanted to install vb6 service pack 6 but could not installed it successfully,

I could install vbrun60sp6.exe, the vb6 runtime, but it was not enough, the app is not working.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Adrian

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: vb6 app does not work on win 7
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: vb6 app does not work on win 7
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
My first idea.

Is to use the app compatibility in the app's shortcut and set it to XP or Vista.

And with 200 customers why not call and pay Microsoft for their thoughts?
And why not let the developer look at it?

I have some old VB6 app and it's running fine on 7 (32 and 64 bit) but I had to alter the install a little. Not the VB6 install but the MySQL component.
Bob

- Collapse -
so

I tried that at first, it does not solve the issue.

I AM the developer, but it is a biig old application, working "ok" on XP

and as I say it is working with half the PCs with win 7.

I am just searching for a bundle that would include all DLLs and OCXes that are used by vb6, as I said after installing vb6 on on of these PCs (I intended to also get the code and try to debugg it) IT WORKED, but this is not an option to have vb6 installed on all these new PCs with win 7 64bit Happy

- Collapse -
You didn't write

If you called MSFT and if there is 200 users it should pay to do that.

But let's say that the users or office is too cheap. Why not the old fashioned way? Research FILEMON and what that was and does. Armed with that I could discover all the files opened as the app starts up and check that those are on the failing machine.

Same story for REGMON.

Sadly I encounter folk that want a click here solution. Or don't reveal if they tried that compatibility tab,.
Bob

- Collapse -
continued

I used Process Monitor and it gives a list with over 500 unique dll names and 14 OCXs,
I said is a pretty big app, not complicated but with a lot of **** in it.

I registered all the 14 OCXes, and started to do the same with dlls, in a order, first I put the ones they say you should port in with your app in win 7 because they are not there:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vbasic/ms788708.aspx (Supported Runtime Files to Distribute with Your Application), but still does not work,

I still have a list with 124 that I will copy from XP to Win 7 into system32 and syswow64.

- Collapse -
You're doing better than most.

I've found most will flame out when presented with this task. It's not a small task and we still have the results of the registry accesses to ponder.

I know most don't want to hear it but I've cut off updates of my old VB6 apps except for the under 1 hour type fixes. This had to be done as it is time to move on. The cost of maintaining our old apps is starting to cost more than a move to our new platforms.
Bob

- Collapse -
yes

yeah, I know what you mean

actually there is a project ongoing to replace this with a web app made with spring and GWT ...

CNET Forums

Forum Info