Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

VB FORM

by Scottynm / February 26, 2007 11:42 PM PST

I have a .dot file that contains a form upon opening the template and a few other lines of code to hid toolbars and what not. My question is:

When I open up the template.....fill out the form....save the file as a .doc, if still contains all my VB code. I don't want the user to be getting the prompt that the doc contains macros. I am the only one using the template. Once I save the file a .doc, I email it out. I want the users who get the attached file to not have to turn their macro security down. Can anything be done about this?

Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: VB FORM
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: VB FORM
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What about RTF?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2007 11:52 PM PST
In reply to: VB FORM

Because RTF doesn't have any storage for macros, that works. Plus I prefer receiving the RTF because of ... same.

Bob

Collapse -
One more question....
by Scottynm / February 27, 2007 2:48 AM PST
In reply to: What about RTF?

How would you suggest doing that? Basically, once the .dot file is opened and then saved....How can I ensure its being saved as .rtf?

Thanks!

Collapse -
Save as... and select RTF in the file type?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2007 2:52 AM PST
In reply to: One more question....
Collapse -
One More Question
by Scottynm / February 27, 2007 3:30 AM PST

I know how to save a file as an .rtf. Two other users will be using the main .dot file as well. To eliminate any chance of not saving it as .rtf, I was thinking it might be possible to have the .dot automatically save a .rtf or only allow it to be saved as a .rtf or something like that.

Thanks!

Collapse -
More code?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2007 3:52 AM PST
In reply to: One More Question

Sorry but I don't understand the issue here. I guess even more code could be added but those darn macro exploits cause those alerts to fire.

No real cure any which way you turn.

-> Let's try this. Is Word the right tool here? Sometimes I find "Word abuse" where some form is being filled out thousands of times a day. That's one form of Word abuse where we look at the process and see what can be improved.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by Scottynm / February 27, 2007 4:13 AM PST
In reply to: More code?

I think Word is fine.....This file is not used all that often. Including myself, three people will use this. I was hoping to somehow prevent the users from saving the file thats created from the template as anything but .rtf.

Collapse -
Now that is possible.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2007 4:26 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

But then again a pile of code to provide a SAVE button and the custom save.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks again!
by Scottynm / February 27, 2007 4:40 AM PST
In reply to: Now that is possible.

Yeah, might not even be worth it. i really appreciate the .rtf hint. You have been a lot of help!!!

Scott

Collapse -
What about the extension..
by entrecon / March 1, 2007 3:45 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks again!

Can a few lines of code be added to see if the file extension is .dot or .doc before the VB runs? This would avoid the script from running after the file has been saved once as a .doc.

Collapse -
That could work...
by Scottynm / March 2, 2007 5:29 AM PST

any idea how that could be done. I'm still a novice.

Thanks.

Collapse -
Word template usage
by richardp123 / March 2, 2007 8:52 PM PST
In reply to: VB FORM

When you are using this template you have created, are you actually opening the template file (.dot) file directly? Or are you clicking 'File' menu, 'New' and then selecting your template from the various list of templates?

There is a critical difference here...

Collapse -
Template
by Scottynm / March 19, 2007 10:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Word template usage

I was double-clicking on the template file saved on my desktop. Will this cause a problem?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.