Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Vatican decries "secular society"

by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / November 5, 2004 2:10 AM PST
`Secularism' in Europe vexes Vatican.
This is a problem I have with the 20% of voters who cited "moral values" as being paramount, and favored Bush by 4:1. By Amendment 1 of the Bill of rights, ours is a secular society. That doesn't mean it's atheistic, or valueless -- but it does mean that religiously motivated values should not be forced on those who don't share the religion. Any other stance is literally unconstitutional.

As for the Vatican's concerns, I disagree with the French law as well, and it would in fact violate our First Amendment's right to the free exercise of religion.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Vatican decries "secular society"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Vatican decries "secular society"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Good article; thanks for the link
by drpruner / November 5, 2004 7:15 AM PST

Did you notice all the references to the violent conflicts of the past? Perhaps it's 'reaping what they sowed.'

In any case, I have no patience nor sympathy with any nominal Christian fretting about an attack by governments against "God." (By which they mean, "my Church.") If their god isn't powerful enough to handle that, they should get a new one - or throw in their lot with secular governments.

Regards, Doug in New Mexico

Collapse -
You can't really believe that ...
by Bill Osler / November 5, 2004 8:14 AM PST
... religiously motivated values should not be forced on those who don't share the religion. Any other stance is literally unconstitutional.

You have claimed elsewhere that you made your choice of political affiliation based on the values you learned from your religion. Now you are claiming that other people do not have the same right? Get real.

Let's see now. Choice of political party is a controversial question. It involves political decisions and it affects legislation at the Federal level. Not everybody agrees with the ethical underpinning of the party's platform. I cannot allow my political beliefs to affect my legislative agenda. It follows, then, that if your religion makes you support the Democrats that joining the Democratic party is unconstitutional. After all, you wouldn't want to shove your religious agenda down anybody's throat, would you?

I understand that you are trying to attack Mr. Bush for his stand on abortion and stem cell research. Do not forget, however, that the abortion issue can be summarized very nicely without any reference to religion. Similarly for the stem cell debate. One does not have to invoke religion to justify a "right to life", nor does one require a religious basis for skepticism of the appropriateness of rushing into stem cell research. Are you now going to claim that these non-religious formulations are unconstitutional because they can also be supported by religious faith? Bring on the "Thought Police" and lets have an inquisition! All religiously inspired laws must go! If you follow through on that logic, you will also have to abandon MOST of the rest of the US legal code and ALMOST ALL social programs.

Open your eyes, Dave.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Well said, Bill, Thanks.........
by Mac McMullen / November 5, 2004 9:03 AM PST
Collapse -
So, by voting one way
by EdH / November 5, 2004 10:28 AM PST

I am forcing my values on others, but by voting YOUR way I am doing the right thing?

Nice try. Keep digging.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.