Tip

Various uses for sodas---cola uses

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Various uses for sodas---cola uses
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Various uses for sodas---cola uses
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
(NT) Wonder if it clean the stains in my toilet?
- Collapse -
(NT) perhaps denture tablets
- Collapse -
I tried other stuff

I gave up some time when the rust build-up on my plumbing. I did keep up but the john was rather more than I wanted to handle. Plus, I didn't want to dump yet more chemicals that may harm my septic tank. BTW, all those those natural cleaners didn't work too well, in my case. It does work, but i don't want to repeat a gazillion times. Ahhh, the country life and hard water. -----Willy Happy

- Collapse -
septic

I dump 50-100 pounds of pure lye into my septic 3-4 days after it's pumped every few years. Helps reduce the slime in the drain field that builds up and keeps roots away from the line. You can buy it at farmer stores for about a dollar per pound. I think last time I paid $55 per 50# bag. A 1500 gallon septic with 100 pound lye dumped in it after a pump out is a pound per 15 gallons, so not a big shock to the tank itself. In past I used less putting it down the drain field itself, but that's tedious and not fun digging up the access points. If I ever have a drain field put in myself in the future at this place or some other, I'm making sure the end of each drain line has a clean-out access above ground. Even at those prices ($200 pump out + $110 lye) every 3 years or so, it's cheaper than paying for monthly sewage hookup charges with the county.

- Collapse -
Country living

You're paying way too much for lime. I can get that here for $8-9 per 50# bag. Yes, I can get that and have it for the business as well. Lime won't be that good for me in the tank, as my leech bed is old type, some may consider as French ditch with septic tank, for immediate use, etc., but the runoff goes to nature and I have plenty of nature. No, it is separate from water supply. The main reason i don't want too many chemicals is to keep the good bacteria count up for obvious reasons and chemicals will knock that down. I use Roberts and other septic pours to help keep it lively. It all works fine for me and my demands. heaven forbid if i have to hook-up to anything the town provides, I'm too far from the road and that alone will cost me and probably drive me out of the house. -----Willy Happy

- Collapse -
Lye, not Lime.

aka Caustic Soda aka Sodium Hydroxide. The stuff that burns skin off you, that turns fat to soap, that becomes sodium salts when reacting with acids, etc. I don't think Lime would do much good in the septic tank, but I use it in my garden area. However I use the cheap stuff under $5 per 50# bag.

- Collapse -
Oooops, my bad

Lye, would still be too harsh for my needs. yeah, it'll burn the stuff and render the fat down, but again, much of what I allow down the drain is natural, grease is kept to a minimum and any food parts as well. I'm not one of those sink-arator users. My compose pile does well with the additions. I rebuild the septic system when I moved in and all is well for hopefully 50yrs, minus 15yrs+. -----Willy

CNET Forums