Storage forum

General discussion

VAPCMD, my new external SATA hard drive. . .

Slightly modded.

http://www.wayne2.net/modded.jpg

I extended the power from inside the case and connected the eSATA drive to one of the SATA ports on the mother board. Not pretty but it's major fast. 3 Gb/s transfer speed. Seagate 450 Gig PMR drive used as storage for "stuff". I can save a 1 Gig movie in about 20 seconds. Fan and fan mount from spare junk.

I have an external case but it had no cooling fan.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: VAPCMD, my new external SATA hard drive. . .
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: VAPCMD, my new external SATA hard drive. . .
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
10 points for ingenuity, 10 points for speed;

In reply to: VAPCMD, my new external SATA hard drive. . .

5 points for style Wink

Faster is better !

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Thanks!

In reply to: 10 points for ingenuity, 10 points for speed;

My brother asked if I got the idea from the Red Green show! I said NO! From Home Improvement!

Collapse -
(NT) Watch those fingers.. might need a grill for that fan ...:-)

In reply to: Thanks!

Collapse -
I was looking around at Newegg and found

In reply to: Thanks!

the following enclosure:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153061

It come with everything you need including the internal SATA to bracket with eSATA connector and eSATA cable to eSATA enclosure

Looks like a decent unit from Thermaltake with active cooling for those that leave their externals HDDs on. I only use mine for backup and afterwards remove the cables and turn 'em off.

The nice thing about the Adaptec units was they could handle HDDs up to 1TB for the last 3-4 years whereas other USB-eSATA enclosures were capacity limited to smaller drives.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Nice unit!

In reply to: I was looking around at Newegg and found

Definitely an option at a good price.

Collapse -
Better for less

In reply to: Nice unit!

Collapse -
I have that one. . .

In reply to: Better for less

it's the one I was going to mod.

I've never been a fan of the heat sink cases. I really don't like the one I have for that reason. I gotta have a fan, if for nothing more than that warm and fuzzy feeling. I do remember this. When that drive was in that case, Everest reported the temp as around 137 F. Now, with my new non-case and fan, the temp runs about 120 F.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.