Computer Help forum

Question

Vanishing Disk Space

I have a Dell Inspiron E1705 running WinXP. For the past few months I've been getting a "low disk space" error on it, and Win Explorer tells me I have only 9Mb left free. In total it has a small 80Gb HD. The problem is that I've been steadily moving files and apps to a new laptop, which has easily cleared 10Gb or more of space on the C: drive. Yet after a week of not installing any new apps or files on the Inspiron, I get the same low disk space message. I cannot figure out what is eating up all of the HD space. I figure it must be a virus of some sort, but Norton shows nothing in scan results. Is there a file mgt utility tool that can show me which directory has been most recently updated, and which directory is the largest? Win Explorer is too clunky for this task.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Vanishing Disk Space
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Vanishing Disk Space
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Google

In reply to: Vanishing Disk Space

TREESPACE FREE

Collapse -
Even better.

In reply to: Google

Collapse -
Thanks for this.

In reply to: Even better.

Spaced out as I work my Apps.

Collapse -
Answer
How did you do the moves

How did you 'move' files, and to where?

If you mean moved to a new hard drive or some USB thumb drive, are you aware that dragging files to a new drive still leaves copies on the old drive? You would have to manually delete them after the move and after you have checked they all still work.

Other things to check;

1] System Restore - Delete all but the lastest one using DiskCleanup > Advanced tab.

2] However, since you are using Norton that may have disabled XP's System Restore in favor of it's own Protected backup files. Either turn that off, or delete all but the last backup.

3] Temp files, temporary internet files, and other unwanted files. Download the free version of CCleaner from Piriform.com . Run that with it's stock settings, (don't change anything), and let it delete those unwanted files. But Beware! Make sure CCleaner is aware which cookies you want to keep in Options > Cookies, before running the analyzer.

Mark

Collapse -
Answer
Norton

Norton is famous for having its own recycle bin data and system restore data that eat disk space. So that could very well be the cause.

But I'd start with the usuals: the folders seen by treesize. I doesn't see the System Volume Information folder, but that's not too much after you did the first step Mark told you about.

Kees

Collapse -
Thanks

In reply to: Norton

I will download Treesize and see what it tells me. Thank you all for the tool tip.
The odd thing about the idea of drag and drop leaving images behind is that after I moved files or deleted apps (using add/remove or with the apps own uninstall function) I would look in Win Explorer and it would tell me that I had 6Gb free space on the C: drive. A week later, that free space was down to 10Mb. That happened maybe 3 times.
Thanks again for the helpful tips.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.