Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Validating pirated WinXP Pro with legal OEM WinXp Pro

by whiner191 / April 2, 2007 5:23 AM PDT

Hi,
I bought a used computer recently that has what turned out to be a pirated copy of WinXP Pro on it. I have a new, legal OEM Copy of WinXP Pro with sp2B.
Is there anyway I can Validate the exsisting WinXP Pro installation with the legal copy WITHOUT having to reinstall everything from scratch?
Thanks, DougRH

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Validating pirated WinXP Pro with legal OEM WinXp Pro
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Validating pirated WinXP Pro with legal OEM WinXp Pro
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Most find the Magic Jellybean does fine.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2007 5:29 AM PDT

Look up the Magic Jellybean Keyfinder on google. Now change the CDKEY to your new key. If there is hope that this will work, this is it.

Bob

Collapse -
Magic JellyBean has Virus
by whiner191 / April 3, 2007 2:18 PM PDT

Hi,
Thanks for the sugestion. I went to download it, but is has a virus embedded/along with it. I wonder about contacting the author and getting a clean version.
Regards, DougRH

Collapse -
That's odd. Where did you get yours?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 4, 2007 12:31 AM PDT

This is one of the "common cures" used by many here, myself included. Try another download site like download.com or snapfiles.

Bob

Collapse -
Trying another DownLoad location
by whiner191 / April 4, 2007 6:42 AM PDT

Hi BoB,
I can't remember what site it was from and don't spot it in my MS IE History folder.
A search of both download.com and snapfiles came up empty.
However a MS Live search came up with: http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml and the download linked to MjbForum.Com.
I Downloaded it and am just waiting for security scan to finish now. McAfee has come up with 1 infection in my 'Program Files' directory, but I won't know what it is until the scan is finished. Nothing was flaged while downloading, so here?s hoping . . . . . .
Thanks for your help (< Cool
DougRH

Collapse -
Magical Jelly Bean infected with PSWTool.RAS!sd5
by whiner191 / April 4, 2007 9:59 AM PDT

Hi,
Scans with SpyWare Doctor, NoAdware.Net and Mcafee all give v1.51.Zip a clean bill of health.
However, when I go to extract it, SpyWare Doctor finds the following infection. and prevents it from being unZipped
Threat: PSWTool.RAS!sd5
Threar level: High

Would still like to find a copy of this program that isn?t infected!
Regards, DougRH

Collapse -
That's PROPER. HERE'S WHY!!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 4, 2007 10:27 AM PDT

Read http://www.wilderssecurity.com/archive/index.php/t-123609.html

This is a TOOL that is indeed noted to do something that could be considered as bad as those other tools we use such as a PASSWORD CHANGER that is used when people forget their password or want to look inside the PROTECTED STORAGE (that's one neat tool too.)

ANY and ALL copies of the Magic Jellybean should be flagged as you noted.

Not a bug. Just a warning. Not a virus or worm but a "TOOL".

Bob

Collapse -
Don't think so
by jackson dougless / April 2, 2007 5:29 AM PDT

OEM and retail copies of XP use different keys, as do large volume copies typically used by system builders.

Your best bet would be to call the activation hotline number and plead your case. They might be able to issue you a special activation code. I wouldn't go getting my hopes up however, and I'd start looking for all the installation CDs, driver CDs, etc.

Collapse -
Repair install
by tcantrelln / April 2, 2007 5:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Don't think so

with your legal CD, this will only leave you with the downloads to catch back up to...

Collapse -
Will give it a try.
by whiner191 / April 3, 2007 2:24 PM PDT

Hi (< Cool
Thanks for responding. Magic Jellybean has a virus so not going to go that route. I'll try the 'repair' option and see where that gets me, if anywhere. If that doesn't work, then I'll re-evaluate and see I will just live without being able to accesss all of the (optional) MicroSoft UpDates or do a clean re-install.
I'm starting to feel like that British stand up comedian who did the bit about how he never expected that his life would be all about Re-Installing Windows.
I'm just glad that MicroSoft doesn't make the OS for our vehicles!
Regards, DougRH

Collapse -
Options
by whiner191 / April 3, 2007 2:27 PM PDT

Hi Jackson,
I'll give the 'repair' option a try and then decide what to do depending on the results that I get.
Thanks for responding, DougRH

Collapse -
For Help with Microsoft Products, STAY WITH MICROSOFT!
by BlackBart1955 / April 4, 2007 2:26 PM PDT

Hi Doug,

If you go to anyone other than Microsoft, such as Magic Jellybean or anyone else, for things you could easily get directly from Microsoft, then you run the risk, as you have already found out, of downloading a virus that could make the problem all the more worse.

If you go the Microsoft webpage, located at http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=en, you will find all you need to know about their Genuine Advantage System, including the answer to your particular question. If you scroll about two-thirds down the page, you will find a section entitled, ?After I receive the kit, how do I convert my software to genuine Windows?? Read all the questions in this section first, because it will tell you why you need to do the system scan that they are going to ask you to do before you can download the Product Key Updating Tool. This section is actually for people who have either bought or obtained "an electronic license", but if you DO have a new CD and if it IS a valid Microsoft Windows CD (and never used before) then it should work if you type in the product key code from that. (For information on how to know if your software is genuine, go to the webpage at: http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/default.mspx).

In the first question of the section I mentioned above, it says:

Q: I purchased an electronic license and received the product key in email; what do I do?

A: To convert your counterfeit Windows XP software to a genuine copy of Windows XP using the new product key, you will need to download and run the Windows Product Key Update Tool on the same computer you used to purchase the electronic license for Windows XP. Visit http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=45668 to download the Windows Product Key Update Tool. The Windows Product Key Update tool will guide you through the conversion process and convert your counterfeit Windows XP to a genuine copy of Windows XP.

This will lead you to another webpage, which will instruct you to do the scan before you download the product key updating tool. It also has the link for the tool itself. This should answer your question.

There is a chance that the scan would not be able to fix your copy of Windows, if it had been tampered with by the people who sold that pirated copy. If so, then you would have to re-install Windows. For that, I would recommend an upgrade version. That would not require that you re-install everything from scratch. You may, however, run into problems when you try to install the upgrade and it tells you that you cannot ?upgrade? because you have already done so and have all the updates already on your computer. There is a fix for this to. You would have to uninstall all of the updates and search the Microsoft Knowledge Base, at support.microsoft.com or this c/net website to find answers for that.

If what you have is a FULL version, you are not supposed to be able to do it, but I have tried and it worked for me. I would recommend having a good backup before you try this, though. With Windows running (don?t try this from a bootup or it will NOT work), put in your Windows CD and install it from there. It MAY work like an upgrade CD, but if it doesn?t, then just use your backup program to run a recovery to get it back to where it was before you tried it.

Good luck, and I hope this works for you!

Barry

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!