Laptops forum

General discussion

vaio sz230p won't do anything

by fsherburne / October 16, 2007 11:02 PM PDT

I posted this in computer help also. I used an aftermarket ac adapter with the polarity reversed. Now, with the correct adapter, nothing works. Is there a reset or fuse or something to fix it, or is it fried?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: vaio sz230p won't do anything
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: vaio sz230p won't do anything
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I rarely find a fuse in this design.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 16, 2007 11:29 PM PDT

It has to do with the thought of "the package." There is not much the usual owner can replace but third party repair such as ikenfixit.com, notefix.com can beat the usual repair counter since they might replace the burnt parts rather than the usual entire mainboard.

In closing, the parts sometimes look burnt, sometimes not. So visual inspection of the components (plus a background in inspecting such) may or may not tell us what to replace.

Bob

Collapse -
Polarity reversal..
by ikenfixit / October 17, 2007 2:44 AM PDT

Pending inspection I can say 99% the Supply line Diode is shorted as well as SMT fuse or Fusable resistors. Repair should not exceed 189.00 shipped back as there may be other damage as well. Am familiar with the VGN-S series but not this model. Another thing to note on the universal adapters, Targus being one, They offer 2 seperate sony Tips. One is for the 16 V Machines (Centrino's and newer low consumption units) and the other is for the 19V Standards.(P-4 or Similar). Good luck!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.