Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Vaccine technology: Back to the future?

by Bill Osler / March 17, 2009 8:32 PM PDT
Goodbye needle, hello smoothie
This new generation vaccine has big benefits beyond eliminating the "Ouch!" factor. Delivering the vaccine to the gut -- rather than injecting it into a muscle -- harnesses the full power of the body's primary immune force, which is located in the small intestine.

It was not so long ago that we STOPPED using an oral vaccine for polio despite its high effectiveness because it had the ability to cause polio, something the current (actually older) injected vaccine cannot do.

I know that the situations are different and the current proposals won't necessarily involve live attenuated pathogens but still I find it curious how things go in and out of fashion.

Producing a non-infectious oral vaccine is hard. I hope the techniques work but it will be a while before we know for sure.
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Vaccine technology: Back to the future?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Vaccine technology: Back to the future?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
makes sense
by James Denison / March 17, 2009 9:47 PM PDT

I've heard drinking boiled local water helps innoculate one to diseases in it. Nature has us capturing nasties in mucus and then typically swallowing it, where it goes through the gut and likely helps trigger early detection of infective sources, starting a fight process quicker. It might explain the reason behind developing food allergies.

Collapse -
" Producing a non-infectious oral vaccine is hard"
by drpruner / March 17, 2009 9:52 PM PDT

I didn't know that.

Probably you do know that good hygiene in the First World keeps us from getting polio in infancy, when it's mostly harmless. Third World folks seldom get it, but they do get other nasty things we've never heard of. Sad

Collapse -
And I was just starting
by Angeline Booher / March 18, 2009 12:46 AM PDT

...... to think that it wouldn't be long until the delivery of choice would be via nasal spray. Or even possibly a patch would be appropriate for others.

Me, my husband, and both young children took the polio "sugar cube". The benefits outweighrd the risks.

We are given warnings about so many medical treatments, medications and procedures. Of course, the ideal is at least reducing those risks.

Speakeasy Moderator

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?