Peripherals forum

General discussion

UV safe ink

by Jim or Sofia / August 21, 2005 9:42 AM PDT

I want to buy a printer for photographs and am looking for one which prints pictures no more susceptible to UV light than normal photographs from negatives.

I was told by a professional photographer that Epson has archival quality ink, but I have been unable to verify this. It would seem that anyone producing archival ink would advertise that fact and I have seen no such advertisements.

Does anyone know where I can look to find this information?

Jim

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: UV safe ink
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: UV safe ink
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Archival inks
by El Alquimista / August 21, 2005 1:05 PM PDT
In reply to: UV safe ink

All major printer manufacturers now have ?archival? inks that will last for many years ? provided you also use ?archival? paper. For best results, the inks must be matched with the paper.

Ink comes in two basic types; pigment based and dye based. In general, the latter produces the ?prettiest? pictures, the former is longer lasting. As I recall the last review I saw, of the major manufacturers inks, Epson was longest lasting, HP second, and Canon third. But any of their archival inks (coupled with the proper paper) should last more than 20 years, some Epson pigment inks estimated over a hundred. However, they all are continually making progress in ink technology, and yesterday?s comparisons may not be tomorrow?s.

There are many independent reviews available. One independent outfit that has many reviews and papers available on their site is:

http://wilhelm-research.com/

One recent paper found there that discusses ink longevity is:

http://wilhelm-research.com/camera/Will_InkjetPrintsLast_2005.pdf

You might Google for other review sites.

Hope this helps

Frank

Collapse -
archival ink
by Jim or Sofia / August 22, 2005 11:34 PM PDT
In reply to: Archival inks

Thank you, Frank. Your message was very helpful

Jim

Collapse -
Google away and IMHO
by Willy / August 25, 2005 8:30 PM PDT
In reply to: UV safe ink

You have to use "thier method" of best performance to get that. The achieval ink and paper is of prime cost and while works, isn't IMHO better than true photos. You can save the digital images and then print on demand which is the better outcome of this side of the fence photos provided you can prolong any digital saving. The ink and paper are still vulnerable to UV and they still suggest you place in safe enviroment for safe storage and/or placement(wall?) using frames of glass enclosures in non-direct sunlight. Gee, what's the point. They're doing better but it still doesn't come anywhere near true film photos for now. As for achival ink, those sold as "photo ink/grade" are the achival type. Make sure the printer supports this and the setting is set for it under its printing modes.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Archival Ink
by Jim or Sofia / August 26, 2005 12:30 PM PDT
In reply to: Google away and IMHO

Thank you, Willi

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.