Speakeasy forum

Praise

USMC birthday coming...

by Willy / October 29, 2013 12:46 AM PDT

A little insight into my physic or how it has been rendered a sunder ... Shocked

http://www.tuntavernleathernecks.com/tun.htm

Please read the article at the link. When "I" was in the Corps, were earned 1/2 beer per month, so were then allowed a party for "wellness of the Corps de Spirite" to happen. Of course, officers earned "hard liquor, I don't if that's the case now, but was informed why the "consumable allowance" was there. How, re-read the article. Of course, someone may want to point-out British Navy customs, but history provides a direct link otherwise. hahahichic -----Willy "morale officer '77"

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: USMC birthday coming...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: USMC birthday coming...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Neat article
by itsdigger / October 29, 2013 1:23 AM PDT

us poor Army Grunts didn't get beer rations but the Army was born the same year In the spring of 1775 and George Washington took command in July 1775.->http://www.army.mil/birthday/238/history.html . I might have hoisted a few in June Shocked ...Digger

Collapse -
Here's an olde Corps joke...
by Willy / October 29, 2013 4:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Neat article

The 1st Marine to enlist was told to report to his new post at the naval yard and guard the fleet. Since, no funds were provided for weapons, please supply you're own and stand guard until relieved. Sure enough, another Marine came to relieve him. Upon inspection and passing of orders.....

1st Marine: Say, that's a fine rifle you got
2nd Marine: Oh, they issued it to me
1st Marine: It wasn't like that in the olde Corps

as told by to me by the Gunny -----Willy Cool

Collapse -
True. I visited this Armory.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 29, 2013 4:47 AM PDT
Collapse -
And this was the first Government/Private Industry bit of
by Ziks511 / October 29, 2013 4:35 PM PDT

cooperation in the history of the United States. Since fire arms at that time weren't standardized, the Springfield Armoury was set up to standardize and raise the quality of weapons for all branches of the military. Since it couldn't be done by Private Industry by itself it became an Industry/Government cooperative venture. In other words, the Founding Fathers were in favour of whatever worked to get the job done. Also true of things like the Union Pacific Railway, and many other large successful corporations in the US built with government money.

Rob

Collapse -
Once upon a time, the capacity of vessels was measured in
by Ziks511 / October 29, 2013 4:27 PM PDT

Tunnage, not tonnage. It was measured in how many Tuns it could take in its holds. I think its a shame the Tavern is gone, It would make a wonderful monument in Philadelphia for the creation of the USMC.

Apropos of that idea, where is the Marine Corps Museum, Maryland? says an old Marylander who never got to visit it.

HOO-rah,
Rob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.