General discussion

Using your sink to model a Black Hole

Well, not not exactly, but it apparently is possible to apply similar physics to the 'white hole' phenomenon that most of us have observed in our kitchen sinks. Who knew plumbing was so complex?

How to Make a White Hole in Your Kitchen Sink | Wired Science | Wired.com
When a stream of tap water hits the flat surface of the sink, it spreads out into a thin disc bounded by a raised lip, called the hydraulic jump. Physicists' puzzlement with this jump dates back to Lord Rayleigh in 1914. More recently, physicists have suggested that, if the water waves inside the disc move faster than the waves outside, the jump could serve as an analogue event horizon. Water can approach the ring from outside, but it can't get in.

"The jump would therefore constitute a one-directional membrane or white hole," wrote physicist Gil Jannes and Germain Rousseaux of the University of Nice Sophia Antipolis in France and colleagues in a study on ArXiv Oct. 8. "Surface waves outside the jump cannot penetrate in the inner region; they are trapped outside in precisely the same sense as light is trapped inside a black hole."

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Using your sink to model a Black Hole
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Using your sink to model a Black Hole
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Playing with water....perhaps relevant but not specific

This post immediately brought me back to my own childhood where playing in the sink and tub were wondrous times. While bath time for hygiene purposes wasn't my priority, I found no end to enjoyment and discovery. The faucet and drain had many useful and creative purposes. There were 6 of us kids and only one tub in our first house so hot water was rationed. There was the inevitable parental call of "Times up!" and I'd have conclude my experiments until the next session. I got to relive this fascination through my own kids later.

So we can now play with our sinks in the name of science and not childhood. Still sounds like another excuse to go back to

The House at Pooh Corner

to me. Happy

- Collapse -
But it doesn't simulate...

the emission of x-rays and in some cases particle beams from the center.

- Collapse -
Who knew plumbing was so complex?

Any/every Plumber? Devil

- Collapse -
Brainstorm...

If you allow yourself to think about it, the nature of a "black hole" event horizon if brought to the "absolute boundary" just what is it? Because on the boundary itself, nothing can stay, its bound to fall or be sucked in, thus even an atom(+ sub-atomic) thick matter would fall. Thus, the sheer force of the boundary creates its own minor universe within that slim margin, ever so small. This force is so great it overcomes everything, but itself or is it being replaced constantly as it succumbs to itself. This far more than any event horizon as it own boundary would stop there. The nature of the event horizon seems to have a larger area or its when the black hole captures you yet not apparent, time still works, but less as you drift to the the hole.

Aggrrh! just a thought... -----Willy Happy

- Collapse -
Makes my head hurt. Nice catch, though.

I'm satisfied with knowing that Archimedes invented the vacuum cleaner in his bathtub.

CNET Forums

Forum Info