Dell forum

General discussion

Using XPS 8000 as media center

by astropresident / November 7, 2009 10:54 PM PST

Wanted to use a desktop as brains of media center.

Is that possible?

1) Want to use LCD as primary display when using computer
2) Want to use Computer as DVD/Blueray player
3) Can I then run sound cables out to speakers for surround sound? or to an amp for sound?

I talked briefly with Dell service online help and they said that I could do all that including wireless keyboard and mouse...

But my biggest concern is how much quality, if any i risk losing by not using dedicated computer screen as computer display and vice versa how much video quality i could lose, if any by not using a dedicated dvd/blue ray player

thanks in advance!!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Using XPS 8000 as media center
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Using XPS 8000 as media center
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My answer is none.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 8, 2009 3:40 AM PST

A display is a display so if the specs are the same you ALMOST can write that HDTV and PC displays have finally become equivalent. So stop fretting over losing the PC display get that HDTV hooked up as the sole display.

And if you ask VGA or HDMI my answer is to try both.
Bob

Collapse -
cheers!
by astropresident / November 8, 2009 4:22 AM PST
In reply to: My answer is none.

thank you...appreciate the feedback!

Collapse -
video cards and RAM vs CPU processor
by astropresident / November 9, 2009 7:34 AM PST
In reply to: My answer is none.

Next questions....

Spend dollars on CPU processor or load up on RAM?

More specifically,

1) Intel 2Quad processor (4MB, 2.33GHz) and spend dollars on extra RAM (ie 8GB)

OR

2) Intel Core i5-750 (8MB, 2.66GHz) and 4-6GB RAM.

second question...

will the ATI Radeon HD 4350 (512MHz) suffice for my primary concerns of using computer as TV source...or do I need to upgrade to nVidia GeForce at 1024MB

Thanks again

Collapse -
Try doing as little as possible.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 9, 2009 9:41 AM PST

Changing the CPU means you likely change everything from power supply, ram, video and everything. i.e. a new machine.

Collapse -
buying a new machine...
by astropresident / November 9, 2009 11:14 AM PST

thats the thing...i'm buying a brand new machine and pricing out components...and am getting a little lost and probably too caught up in the numbers game regarding all the performance factors...

but was wondering, should a person invest in bigger CPU at the beginning or will the CPU's in this day and edge be more than enough and one should invest in RAM?

I know that they both power different aspects of the computer...so for what i want...ie good looking TV/display...i'm leaning towards investing in more CPU power...as far as i understand RAM is more tailored for multitaskin etc...which i don't do a whole lot of

Collapse -
Sorry
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 9, 2009 10:27 PM PST

But that's not clear in your first post. Also Dell is not your best choice for a place to buy parts to make a PC. We use them when we want a ready to use PC.

As the subject has changed you should make a new post in a more appropriate forum.
Bob

Collapse -
clarity
by astropresident / November 10, 2009 2:21 AM PST
In reply to: Sorry

i'm not by any means a computer guru

i'm posting in the dell forum because i was building a dell computer

all the numbers and parts etc are off dell's website...for yes, a ready to use PC.

I realize that that is probably beneath you experts, but that's why i'm asking for advice from experts...not to get reprimanded and told to post in a more appropriate forum.

tell me...where outside of a dell forum would i get advice on how to build a dell computer as i'm using dell's website to build a dell computer.

trying to differentiate between their models on top of individual components for each model as a first time Desktop buyer is daunting when faced with all the options...educated decisions come from consulting those that are in the know...

but thanks for all your wisdom.

not sure how the first post led you astray...but i'll go find a more appropriate forum to post in...under newbies? computer illiterate? please point me in the right direction.

Collapse -
I read you wanted to use that aforementioned machine
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 10, 2009 8:23 PM PST
In reply to: clarity

As a media center. Then you wrote about building a machine. In the PC culture, "building a machine" is collecting the parts and then you actually build the machine. There was no disrespect intended and no one looked down on you so I'll apologize anyway.

In short the only issue I find with media centers is the fan noise. Even the Xbox 360 was rejected (ejected by us from the living room) because it was too noisy. The PS3 was better in this regard (haven't heard the new model yet.)

Be sure you don't fall for the usual trap.
Bob

Collapse -
my apologies
by astropresident / November 10, 2009 11:23 PM PST

ya i reread after posting and learned that one should read twice before getting feisty...i was just a bit frusterated after spending last few days pouring over stats and trying to decipher it all..

so thanks for the advice...i appreciate it!

i don't have the tech knowledge or confidence to invest in my own computer building skills...and have a discount with dell..so that was where i started the search...

reason the thread was titled xps8000 at first was because i was "building" the dell computer on their website using their hardware and trying to compare the differences...

thing is i don't have a baseline to start with...meaning don't know how much power, RAM, HD etc is sufficient...

So thought process was use XPS8000 because of the i5 processor and 4GB of RAM and smaller HD for storage and then leave room for growth later on...

so it's not building by any means, but dell leads one to believe they have some customability...which is probably pretty focused and limiting...

i have heard about the noise issues...which would be a pretty major drawback as the reason i'm trying this route to begin with is because i don't have an office pe se...the loft is one big area...so was going to run the desktop through the lcd TV and use wireless keyboard/mouse etc...and then thought of using desktop as media player as well instead of just using lcd as display for desktop...

however more i read and more i learn...easiest and most cost effective is looking to keep computer system at a level that i need...which is realistically pretty tame...i'm not a big gamer (at least not yet...maybe after i get it installed and try one i'll be hooked ;))

and then just get a seperate standalone dedicated blueray...

but thanks again for the patience and advice and sorry again for misinterpreting...blame it on numbers messin with the head

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.