Phones forum

General discussion

using wm device with gps and no phone service

by lghitis / October 1, 2009 2:06 AM PDT

Is there a wm device with GPS that I can use without using any phone plan?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: using wm device with gps and no phone service
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: using wm device with gps and no phone service
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Most likely.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 1, 2009 9:04 PM PDT

I see my ipaq 211 can use a bluetooth GPS so can you use an external bluetooth GPS to augment your phone?

Collapse -
wm with GPS
by lghitis / October 1, 2009 9:40 PM PDT
In reply to: Most likely.

I was hoping of one device with WM operating system, a large screen and internal GPS.

Collapse -
wm with internal GPS, large screen and no phone service
by lghitis / October 1, 2009 9:42 PM PDT
In reply to: wm with GPS

It can also be a GPS device that has a WM OS and a large screen without phone service.

Collapse -
Ahh, the Garmins.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 1, 2009 9:53 PM PDT
Collapse -
Ps. I have the usual WinMo devices.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 1, 2009 9:57 PM PDT

I'm authoring some WinMo applications and for that I use the usual bluetooth GPS device. Here's one I have -> http://tuxtops.com/node/865

It wasn't much compared to some solutions.
Bob

Collapse -
have you considered an 'independant' GPS?
by jonah jones / October 1, 2009 10:18 PM PDT

Garmin, Mio, QUE, Fujicom, Asus

some are "pure" GPS, some combine an mp3 and video player

all a matter of cost

jonah

Collapse -
GPS internal with WM, Large screen, No phone service,
by lghitis / October 2, 2009 12:59 AM PDT

The reason for it is that I have a great golf program WM software. I do have a gps bluetooth device, but is not convenient.
I rather have a device with a large screen, with internal GPS without having to use phone service.

Collapse -
Throw in a dead SIM card
by Pepe7 / October 6, 2009 12:31 PM PDT

You could look for a used ATT Tilt or Fuze, etc. with internal GPS & wifi on ebay. It doesn't require an active voice plan to utilize the phone features per se. You just have to have *some* SIM card in the slot to get past the initial 'no sim card inserted' error.

Collapse -
GPS device that allows for cab files to be used
by lghitis / October 9, 2009 5:30 AM PDT

Is there any GPS device that allows for the installation of CAB files and that is not a phone?

Collapse -
We covered that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 9, 2009 10:55 PM PDT

The Garmin WM models.

Collapse -
Garmin with WM?
by lghitis / October 10, 2009 5:39 AM PDT
In reply to: We covered that.

Which garmin devices have WM?

Collapse -
The G60 for starters.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 10, 2009 11:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Garmin with WM?
Collapse -
Garmin only has a1 wm device the nuvifone 20
by lghitis / October 10, 2009 12:01 PM PDT
In reply to: The G60 for starters.

The 20is not sold in the US.
The nuvifone 60 of ATT is not a WM phone.

Thanks.

Collapse -
Tipping my hand.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 11, 2009 4:13 AM PDT

I'm authoring WM apps and at the office is the fellow that gets the hardware. I hear him on the phone with Garmin, Motorola and other companies and then he brings me gear to try out. As the landscape moves so fast and looking up I didn't see your geo-location plus more this is why I suggest you keep looking. The stuff is out there. How else does the guy get me devices to test on?
Bob

Collapse -
Sim card and the tilt, gps will work without service and no
by lghitis / October 9, 2009 7:23 AM PDT

I thought the GPS in the phones is service dependent. Is the GPS of the Tilt like the GPS of Navigational devices which does not requiere phone service?

Collapse -
GPS free/independent on the Tilt
by Pepe7 / October 20, 2009 12:21 PM PDT

For example, I used Tom Tom for awhile w/o any sort of data plan. Of course using the ATT Navigator would cost you extra. Although Tom Tom support for WM is atrocious (and is no longer), it worked pretty well for my needs at the time. Even Verizon does not lock their built in GPS chips on their current smartphones AFAIK.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?