Computer Help forum

General discussion

Using Windows Vista Media Center as a High Def PVR

by kkabel / September 15, 2006 6:14 AM PDT

I just bought a HD wide screen TV. I am also buying a new PC for the same room. I had the bright idea to use Media Center as a PVR for the new TV (I've got Tivo on other sets and love it). In talking things over I understand that Window's Vista Media Center will be supporting HD. If that is so, are there some basic recommendations on what type of PC configuration to buy today in anticipation of Vista's arrival next year? Most PC's come with 250+ Gig of hard drive memory so that's pretty good. I'm thinking most specifically about recommended processors and graphics cards. I am not a gamer. Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Ken

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Using Windows Vista Media Center as a High Def PVR
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Using Windows Vista Media Center as a High Def PVR
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Vista requirements...
by John.Wilkinson / September 16, 2006 3:41 AM PDT

With Vista the biggest requirement will be the graphics card, though what card you need depends on two things:
1.) What you plan on doing with it. (In this case watching Hi-Def video.)
2.) The size and number of the intended monitors.

In short, the bigger the monitor and the greater the number of monitors the more powerful card you will need. In terms of dedicated graphical memory:
64MB: 1,310,720 pixels or less
128MB: 2,304,000 pixels or less
256MB: 2,304,000 pixels or more

Also, you will need to have at least 1.6GB/s of graphical memory bandwidth.

If you want to gauge your current PC's performance you can run the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor.

The second biggest issue is RAM. 512M is the bare minimum recommended, while 1GB is the minimum for to meet Microsoft's Premium rating. Considering your intended use, I'd suggest no less than 1.5GB.

Processing power will come more into play based on your tasks, not the OS itself. (Vista ran run reasonably well on a 1GHz single-core processor.) Right now the best bang for your buck is the Intel Core 2 Duo processor line...even the lower-end models best AMD's current cream-of-the-crop.

Now, you have a choice between getting the computer now or after Vista is released. Right now not all hardware (speaking of graphics cards and TV tuners) can pick up right where they left off when going from XP to Vista, so that's a mild concern. (Look for a Vista ready sticker whenever possible on those items.) Also, AMD is planning on releasing its next line of processors and Intel is preparing their quad-core processors, so there will be more options and likely lower prices after Vista's launch. Thus, you may want to consider holding off for a couple months and then clean up when the timing is right.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
by kkabel / September 18, 2006 1:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Vista requirements...

Thanks so much for a clear answer. I appreciate it.

Ken

Collapse -
Cant really DVR HD TV
by jmorgie2 / September 22, 2006 2:34 AM PDT

If you want to use your computer as a digital video recorder for HDTV you need to understand where the HD signal is coming from and how you will be limited in what you can record.

First, you need an HD capable board or USB appliances to put TV onto your computer; then you will find out that they only work for over-the-air HD and *NOT* the cable HD stations! Also, these boards only work for analog TV signals; again the digital channels that come in on cable are not accessible. The key here is that the cable company encode all the digital streams [HD and regular] and without the keys you cant decode it. My solution is to get the DVR capability from my cable company. and pay the $10/month or whatever it is. and yeah I am pissed about it. c'est la vie.

Collapse -
by kkabel / September 22, 2006 5:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Cant really DVR HD TV

Thanks so much. In fact, I have rented the cable company's Atlanta Scientific box so I've got a current solution. I am looking forward to Vista and thinking about what might happen then.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?