Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Using Windows Anytime Upgrade Process

I just purchased a Toshiba NB305-410BL Netbook. I would like to convert Windows 7 Starter Edition that came with the computer to Windows 7 Home Premium. As I understand it, if I use the Windows Anytime Upgrade to do the upgrade, Windows Home Premium will be downloaded to my computer and I will be provided with a product key that I will have to enter at some point.
Before I lay out $80 or so for this upgrade I would like to know the following:

If my computer fails and I need to restore it with recovery disks or I need to replace my hard drive, will I be able to reinstall Windows Home Premium again without having to pay for it again? If so, how?

Thanks.
Richard

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Using Windows Anytime Upgrade Process
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Using Windows Anytime Upgrade Process
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The only time I found someone to pay again was when

In reply to: Using Windows Anytime Upgrade Process

They had lost the install key. For some odd reason they felt MSFT should track this purchase and cough up keys on demand.

Let's just say we only lose what we didn't backup.

I have a Windows Starter netbook in the collection. Why would I upgrade this OS? It's doing everything fine.
Bob

Collapse -
You will be fine.

Hi Richard,

As long as you are using a genuine copy of Windows and you are not trying to cheat the system (by violating license terms), you will be just fine. If you need to reinstall, it may take a call to Microsoft in order to activate, but that will be relatively painless.

Also, be sure to create a repair disc -http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Create-a-system-repair-disc to have for recovery if you need it.

Cheers,
Cassandra

Collapse -
W7 Starter upgrade to W 7 Home on netbook

Do it the smart way since you will hae downloaded the upgrade.

1. Write down the product key and keep it somewhere...tape to the Netbook.
2. Create an image of the Hard drive on an external drive or if it's small size so that it can fit on DVD then use a DVD.

3. Use can use free imaging programs like Macriem Reflect (CNET) clonezilla, Paragon Home Free Ed, Norton Ghost, or Windows 7 program.

4. Create the emergency disk that imaging program remains.
5. Now you have a complete Windows 7 program...

6. Yes you may need to reactivate...which is why you saved the product key.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.