General discussion

Using WIFI with "Apple Remote Desktop"

I have Remote Desktop on both my iMac and Macbook. When using WIFI with my Macbook, I cannot connect to my iMac with Remote Desktop. Can anyone think why I cannot do this? When I get close to my home and connected to my own network the Remote desktop works. Is it possible the Remote Desktop was not meant to work with Airport? Any advice would be most helpful.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Using WIFI with "Apple Remote Desktop"
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Using WIFI with "Apple Remote Desktop"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Do you have the full version of Apple Remote Desktop

or just the version that comes with each Mac?

ARD does not work too well over the internet, wireless or wired, but performs adequately over a LAN.

I have had more success with a VNC client, like VNC of the Sea, when attempting a connection over the internet than I have with ARD.

Another point, do you have your home router configured to pass ARD calls from outside to a specific computer?
That needs to be set up.
Also, you will need to know the outside IP address of your Router, the IP address that your ISP provides, assuming that you do not have a static IP address.
Trying to connect to a specific machine name is not going to work over the internet as no DNS router has any idea where the computer you are trying to contact is located.

When you are on your home network, you are not actually going through your router as such and so the details that are contained in ARD are valid.

Hope that helps a little

P

- Collapse -
Do you have the full version of Apple Remote Desktop

Yes, I have the full version of Apple Remote Desktop 3.3 (Unlimited Managed Systems). What did you mean the version that ships with the Mac? I think perhaps it wasn't meant for WIFI use. Thanks for your reply.

- Collapse -
ARD works well with WiFi

over a LAN.

It doesn't work well over the internet.

All Macs ship with the client version of ARD installed.

Do you have everything else mentioned in my post, organized?

P

- Collapse -
ARD works well with WiFi?

I appreciate your reply very much, and I am sure the answer to my question is in your reply to me. However, there are things you mention such as router configuration that are beyond my expertise. I haven't used WIFI that much and am just starting. I do love ARD though and thought I could use it to connect to my home computer as I do on my home network. Wish you made house calls. If you could tell me what my settings in my network preferences should be for what I'm trying to do that would help. I had just come to the conclusion that ARD would only work on a local network. If you could clarify a bit more that would be great, but I have the idea you've tried that with me already, it's just my lack of knowledge.

- Collapse -
As I mentioned,

ARD does not do well over the internet.
It will work but it is usually very slow, slower over wireless.

The router thing. The router at your house routes incoming traffic to the computer that requested it.
Computer A want to go to Google while Computer B wants to visit CNET. The router keeps track of this type thing and routes the reply from each of those places to the correct computer.
For unsolicited incoming calls, the router can be configured, see the manual that came with it, to forward certain incoming calls to a particular computer on the network. This is commonly called Port Forwarding and will have a whole chapter to itself in the router manual. I'm not sure what port number ARD uses but you will find that in the ARD documentation.
You then configure calls on that port to a particular computer on your network. Usually you can only port forward to one computer but there are ways around that limitation.

Drag out the manuals and browse through them for Port Forwarding and for the Port numbers.

P

CNET Forums

Forum Info