Mac OS forum

General discussion

using the battery wisely..

hey, im new to mac and just bought an iBook G4 1.42Ghz 14'' a couple of days ago. with my old laptop i had the problem that the battery went dead pretty quickly cuz it was plugged in to a power outlet basically all the time and the laptop would not work with a removed battery just using the outlet. now whats the best way to use the battery with an iBook so that it stays good for a long time? can i leave the plug in or should i use all the battery up and fully recharge it everytime? thanks a lot for any help in advance (unfortunately the user's guide coming with the iBook doesnt really say anything about that)
thanks
dan

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: using the battery wisely..
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: using the battery wisely..
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Odd. How old was the old laptop?

In reply to: using the battery wisely..

There were issues with leaving the power plugged in on very old laptop designs. Today, you leave it plugged in and the newer battery management does quite well.

But there are some that want to charge the battery, remove it and just run on AC. Sounds like a control freak issue to me, but if they must, they must.

Bob

Collapse -
pretty old like 4-5 years..

In reply to: Odd. How old was the old laptop?

but had a Li-Ion battery just like the iBook. i thought this pretty much always has been an issue that keeping a battery charged to 100% will screw up its capacity (also in digital cameras and stuff). i just want to make sure im not making the same mistake again..so i guess i'll end up being a control freak too;)

Collapse -
Try batteryuniversity.,com and similar.

In reply to: pretty old like 4-5 years..

Such things are from the bad old days. I for one am glad to see them gone.

Bob

Collapse -
The Apple Advice,

In reply to: using the battery wisely..

I believe, is to run the laptop from the battery until the battery no longer runs the laptop.
The laptop will shut down long before there is any danger to your data or the machine.
Once it is fully discharged, plug it back into the AC power and allow it to charge while you are using the machine.
Once every couple of months should keep the battery well.
This from the Apple site:
Lithium-ion
Recharge Lithium-ion batteries when they become depleted. Although they are not subject to the memory effect, it is suggested that you let the battery drain fully before recharging.

Apple article 10970 is the reference for this.

P

P

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.