HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Using SATA DVD-RW - ASMS file missing during WinXPPro setup

by burton155 / March 19, 2007 2:27 PM PDT

I recently replaced my motherboard with a New GA-965P-DQ6 motherboard,and a Core 2 Extreme QX6700. it has 1 IDE, 1 FDD controller and 6 SATA slots. i am using a 650 PSU from Antec and a Big Typhoon cooler. I hooked up my Buffalo SATA DVD-RW in Sata1 and my IDE Western Digital 80g 7200rpm as master in the only IDE slot. I went into BIOS setup and set it to boot from CDROM first. During startup, it read the WinXP Pro CD, and setup started. but at 39min mark, a dialog box pops up saying it needs the asms file from the Winxp Pro CD. the path showing in the input field is GLOBALROOT\DEVICE\CDROM0\I386\ but nothing happens when i press OK. there is also no Browse button at all.

Now I know that this asms folder is in the CD and in the \i386\ folder because i explored it in another PC. but i cannot seem to get setup to read it at the 39min point.

my harddisk is NTFS formatted and all literature on the web points to using boot disk with CDROM drivers, then copy the asms folder to the harddisk or RAmdrive... however every single boot disk i make, using several boot disk creators found on the web, doesnt seem to be able to provide drivers for my SATA DVD-RW. therefore i cannot ever read the CD from DOS in order to copy it to my harddisk or RAM Drive created by the boot disk

please help as i am almost tempted to buy a IDE DVD-RW in order to fix this, or even a very cheap IDE DVD-ROM. Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Using SATA DVD-RW - ASMS file missing during WinXPPro setup
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Using SATA DVD-RW - ASMS file missing during WinXPPro setup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This issue noted in 2 cases.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 19, 2007 11:43 PM PDT

1. The XP CD was not from Microsoft.

2. The installer (you?) had SATA devices but was unaware the install required those SATA drivers. I will not document how to install XP on SATA here since it's all over the internet.

Bob

Collapse -
XP CD must be from Microsoft
by burton155 / March 21, 2007 10:52 AM PDT

Thanks for the comments. However the XP Home CD was from Microsoft and was an original box set that set me back ~US$200 (in JPY) when i first bought it. the internet sources i read said that it might be the CD being dirty etc, so i bought an XP Pro upgrade in Microsoft box set(also ~US$200) which i thought might work, but it too couldnt be read by the DVD-RW. This shop is a major electronics franchise in Japan so i think it is very unlikely that the CD is pirated or fake.

I then bought an IDE DVD-ROM again and hooked it up as slave to the IDE(there is only 1 IDE on GA-965P-DQ6 so i guess thats Primary?) but that too couldn't find the ASMS folder on the DVD at a certain point. (not only that, the XP Pro/Home CD couldnt even be booted on IDE DVD-RW even though it had no problems being booted from SATA DVD-RW

Collapse -
So try installing XP proper.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 21, 2007 11:11 AM PDT

XP can't install on SATA as supplied by Microsoft. Try the usual instructions. Hint? Type "How do I install XP onto a SATA drive?" into google.com

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.