Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Using same db program, two sets of data in XP.

I am using Windows XP PRO, all updates installed and set up with rwo accounts.This is a stand alone system and not on a network. I want to use a single db program for both accounts, with seperate sets of data in each. I do not want the data mixed together. Now when I download the data for one account it shows up in the other. How do I keep the data seperate? I had no trouble doing this in Windows 2000 using the same program and data sets.
Many thanks for any help.

Kat619

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Using same db program, two sets of data in XP.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Using same db program, two sets of data in XP.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Guessing

In reply to: Using same db program, two sets of data in XP.

You are vague about what you are doing but here is a shot.

Whatever program you are using, that program will access or open a database of info.

Having 2 user accounts will have absolutely no effect on what that one database has in it.

If you want 2 separate databases you will need to either (1) create a second database file with a different name and select wchich one to open or..
(2) copy that same database to a different location and I would also rename it, but each person logging on would open the database that belongs to them.

Windows stores different sets of data for Documents, Outlook Express etc in User profile folders under documents and settings, one set for each USER.

You can also store a database in each persons Document folder, this will separate them.

Be advised that most programs, do not care what user is opening the program and generally default to open the file that was last opened, or at least is looking in that folder.

Collapse -
Thank you

In reply to: Guessing

Thank you for the advice. When I installed the program I just changed the name on one of the programs when I was asked what directory it was to be stored in. One program, two users, two sets of data and no interferance between the two.
619kat

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.