HolidayBuyer's Guide

Mac OS forum

General discussion

Using Rosetta Stone without a cd inserted.

by Mikl777 / April 8, 2010 3:09 AM PDT

I use Rosetta Stone v2 in my macbook laptop. This software requires that the language cd be inserted in the optical drive. Without the cd inserted if will not work (anti piracy?) . My macbook optical drive recently broke. It ejects everything that is inserted. Question: Is there to install the language files in the macbook (disk image?) so that Rosetta Stone thinks that the cd is inserted? I tried to copy the files into a flash drive but got a dialog box saying that some files could not by copied. I rarely use the optical drive and don't want to repair/replace it just for this program.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Using Rosetta Stone without a cd inserted.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Using Rosetta Stone without a cd inserted.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Use Disk Utility to create a Disk Image of the CD,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 8, 2010 8:35 AM PDT

hen mount it on the Desktop.

Not all programs respond to that though.

Most will respond if you mount the image using Toast.

P

Collapse -
by Mikl777 / April 9, 2010 5:47 AM PDT

Disk utility doesn't seem to be able to make a disk image from the cd (I'm not very familiar with disk image making). I have Toast 8 basic (included with EyeTV) but it doesn't have the ability to mount a disk image apparently. I wouldn't mind upgrading if I new it would resolve my dilemma.

Collapse -
Disk Images.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 9, 2010 9:19 AM PDT

Insert the Rosetta disk so that it appears on the desktop
In Disk Utility, the disk will appear in the left hand pane. Select it by single clicking it.
At the top of the Disk Utility window you will see the New Image icon.
Click it and choose where to save the image to. The desktop is good enough for this exercise.
Image format should be Read Only.
Encryption should be None.
Click Save.
The image should be created then.
Once the image is created and on the desktop, open Toast.
Look in the menubar at the top of the screen for Utilities. That's where the Mount Image command is.
Choose it and navigate to the disk image that you created.
Choose it and it "should" mount on the desktop as a CD icon.

P

Collapse -
by Mikl777 / April 9, 2010 12:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Disk Images.

Your instructions worked until I launched Toast Basic 8. The Mount Disk Image is greyed out. When I click it I am invited to upgrade. The upgrade price is too steep for a one off problem. Are there any other programs that provide the Mount Disk Image functionality?

Collapse -
Try this:
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 9, 2010 10:35 PM PDT

with the image on the desktop.

Open Terminal, which you will find in Applications > Utilities.

Type: Cd desktop
press return

Type: hdiutil mount sample.iso (where sample.iso is the name of the disk image you created)

See if that works for you

P

Collapse -
by Mikl777 / April 12, 2010 11:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Try this:

Insert the Rosetta disk so that it appears on the desktop
In Disk Utility, the disk will appear in the left hand pane. Select it by single clicking it.

-Three disks appear. The first is apparently the mfg. of the cd. Indented below is a disk that says "session 1". Indented below that is a disk with the title of the language course. I am able to create a new image on the desktop only for the first disk. I get error dialog boxes for the second and third images that Disk Utility is unable to create a image. (Input/output error). When I use the Terminal procedure on the image created for the uppermost disk nothing appears to happen.

Mike

Open Terminal, which you will find in Applications > Utilities.

Type: Cd desktop
press return

Type: hdiutil mount sample.iso (where sample.iso is the name of the disk image you created)

See if that works for you

Collapse -
Theoretically,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 12, 2010 9:50 PM PDT

the topmost disk is the only "real" disk with the others being "sessions" on that disk.

If the making an image of the top one produces nothing, this may be the end of the game.

What happens when you double click on the image file that you created?

P

Collapse -
Rosetta Stone without cd
by Mikl777 / April 14, 2010 2:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Theoretically,

I created a disk image and copied the contents from the Rosetta Stone language cd into it. I then used Terminal as you suggested. The disk image on the desktop remained the same. Terminal says " (my title) already specified" I ejected the language cd and retried the procedure with the same response.

OS10.5.8

Collapse -
That's not the way I said to create the image
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 14, 2010 3:29 AM PDT

You do not drag anything to the image, you make the image from the CD

P

Collapse -
Try again with the previous instructions,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 14, 2010 11:06 AM PDT

selecting the Rosetta disk and then choosing Make Image will make an image of the selected disk.

No dragging involved

P

Collapse -
Does this work for Rosetta V3.0?
by j_ladd / May 24, 2011 4:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Disk Images.

Just found this thread and it looked promising to create v3.0 Rosetta back ups.

Collapse -
Almost there
by thomasxyz1 / February 10, 2012 9:29 AM PST

I used virtual cdr along with all the previous steps have a virtual cd with a dmr from the iso file except it does not work and the rosetta stone program its self cannot find the language file on the cd.

Collapse -
Surely the Original CD's that you received, when you
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 11, 2012 6:02 AM PST
In reply to: Almost there

purchased Rosetta Stone, would have that information on them?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.