PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Using Rear Projection TV as PC Monitor?

I have a toshiba 51H84C HDTV-CRT, and I was going to hook up my computer to it through DVI converted to HDMI, but then I saw in the manual: Note: This TV should not be used with a PC.

Is there any reason why it would state this?

Also, could someone explain to me the whole DVI-D and DVI-I thing and which ones would work on a TV?

and another thing, I am using an DVD Player through Component (Y, Pb, Pr) and even though I select widescreen for all the settings, it still comes out as 4:3 with those bar things on the top and bottom, is it becuase Component is a analog signal?

Also, one more thing... My TV only came with one HDMI port, would this be a problem in the future? Because I plan to get HD Cable and a HD DVD Player, which would require 2 ports, what would I be able to do about this?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Using Rear Projection TV as PC Monitor?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Using Rear Projection TV as PC Monitor?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RE;

In reply to: Using Rear Projection TV as PC Monitor?

There was a discussion about this subject but I can seem to located that thread though. If my recollection is correct...you could connect a computer to the tv, except the tv has to on first before the turning on the computer, otherwise the HDMI will not recognize the DVI connection.

On the subject of DVI; DVI-I will support both digital and analog signals and DVD-D will only support digital.

On the 4:3 thing; are you sure the material you are viewing is wide screen? Other than that, I don't know what to say (tv and dvd got so dawn many adjustments).

One HDMI port; Don't know too much about them but I think that may be normal. The whole idea about HDMI is its universal connection..like usb on computer.

Hope this help a little. My brain is all tapped out, hehe.

Collapse -

In reply to: RE;

My DVD's are widescreen, dunno why it comes out like that. And... I've heard some people with issues about DVI-I and DVI-D Compatability with HDMI, has anyone heard about this before?

Collapse -
and...

In reply to: ...

how do i tell if my DVI port is DVI-I or DVI-D?

Collapse -
From what I gether...

In reply to: and...

You can't tell the difference by looking at the connector, so I guess your best bet would be to consult the manual. It appears that dvi comes in two favor (single link and dual link). Single link is 18 pins and dual link is 24 pins. The dual link is the one that gives you the best graphic.

If you are connecting the video card to a dvi port and not to a vga connection then it doesn't matter what you have.

That's the best I can do..good searching!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.