TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Using PS3 for Blu-Ray vs. standalone Blu-Ray player

by barkal_l / June 5, 2008 9:16 AM PDT

Is there any noticeable difference in picture quality between the two? I ask because I did notice a slight difference between using my PS2 (one of the later progressive-scan models, for whatever it's worth) and my regular Onkyo player.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Using PS3 for Blu-Ray vs. standalone Blu-Ray player
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Using PS3 for Blu-Ray vs. standalone Blu-Ray player
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes
by jasondtx / June 5, 2008 10:15 AM PDT

Yes there are differences. There are different levels of quality in how they are built, power supplies, d/a converters, codecs, wiring, processing, etc. I remember when the LG dual format player came out, it looked better in interlaced than it did running in 1080P because the player didn't have good video processing. The ps3 has really pretty good picture quality, the audio is alright. When you compare it to a higher end player like a Denon the Denon is quite a bit better in video and audio quality. Besides the Denon and maybe one or 2 others there are not many high end players on the market. These will be a lot more expensive when they come out but there will be differences that you will notice. Right now there are quite a few in the 300 to 600 dollar price range that are decent. Think of it this way - your CD or DVD player is like an orchestra and your disc is like a piece of music. If you play your disc on a 20 dollar player from Walmart it's like giving the piece of music to a junior high orchestra and having them perform the piece. If you play your disc on a nice Denon, Pioneer Elite, or even Meridian it will be like giving your piece of music to the London Symphony Orchestra. Even though they are the same piece of music they will be interpreted differently and the outcome will be noticeable. Some things that will be different in the audio would be dynamics, bass, resolution and detail etc. Some differences in video would be color accuracy, black level, motion, detail, noise, shadow detail, dynamic range, etc.

Collapse -
So unless I get a really expensive one, a regular Sony B-R
by barkal_l / June 5, 2008 11:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes

will be comparable? (Allowing of course for the inevitable variance in the specific components used between a PS3 and regular Sony player).

Collapse -
BR player
by bevillan / June 6, 2008 2:30 AM PDT

The only BR player worth comparing the PS3 to is the upcoming Panasonic DMP-BD50 as it has the final BR profile build and has onboard DTS-MA/TrueHD decoding. No other standalone BR player has those features. The BD50 will be $799 though I think so the PS3 is still the better deal.

Collapse -
Bluray
by jasondtx / June 6, 2008 2:39 AM PDT
In reply to: BR player

The Denon DVD-3800 has all of those features and has been out for awhile. Plus it has the Realta sxT2 HQV video processor inside. It is more expensive but worth it my opinion. There are quite a few video and audio adjustments that you can make on the player itself to really fine tune the picture to your display

Collapse -
umm
by bevillan / June 6, 2008 3:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Bluray

Comparing the $500 PS3 to the $2000 Denon Blu-ray player is a bit of a stretch. In my opinion $2000 is never worth it for a media disk player unless you are filthy rich and like to spend money.

Collapse -
I know
by jasondtx / June 7, 2008 1:52 AM PDT
In reply to: umm

I know it's quite a difference in price, just making a point that it does all the new features.

Collapse -
I agree the PS3 is the best deal
by jostenmeat / June 7, 2008 6:43 AM PDT
In reply to: BR player

I love my pana bd-30 tho. What am I missing w/o profile 2.0? I have no idea...

anyways, i get pana products on accomodation, so its best for me. also, ps3 couldnt do MA at that time. As soon as MA was solved was the very moment i pulled the trigger on a bdp.

some people are very patiently waiting for oppo.

anyways, i wouldn't be able to fit the ps3 into my audio rack. and my universal remote is not blutooth capable. and i am ultra-paranoid about loud components. heck, even my bd-30 makes more noise than i wish it did. so does my pj.

if 2.0 is meaningless to others as it is to me, id look for deals on the bd-30 when the bd-50 releases. well, as long as you have a receiver able to unpack the codecs.

lastly, there are reports that bit-streaming is desired to reduce the chances of jitter, and keeping digital clocking accurate. i have no opinion, never tested this, and don't really care.

but even a cnet review of a bdp said just as much, that the bitstream sounded superior. i can't find that review though. im not lying, however.

lastly, and totally unimportant to most, i have heard someone i trust that 2.0 pcm via optical sounds like utter crap on the ps3. (main contributor to BD PQ thread at avs). he is personally hoping for FW to deal with this.

-jostenmeat

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?