HolidayBuyer's Guide

Samsung forum

General discussion

Using PS3 as a proxy server for LN46A650?

by danger355 / July 17, 2008 1:53 AM PDT

my setup: i have a cable modem and wireless router in my bedroom. my PS3 and main TV are in the adjacent living room.

ok, my PS3 can connect using wireless with no problems, but (a) there is still the unused LAN port on the back of the PS3, and (b) i don't want to run a cable from my bedroom to my living room (before anybody suggests it, if I have to, I'll buy another wireless router and just use that, but that will be my last resort).

so I'm wandering, has anyone tried using their PS3's Proxy server as a 'bridge' for their Samsung to connect (using InfoLink)?

any help is much appreciated

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Using PS3 as a proxy server for LN46A650?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Using PS3 as a proxy server for LN46A650?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
clever
by Mr__S / August 18, 2008 4:20 PM PDT

danger355,

That?s a pretty clever way to look at hooking up your InfoLink. Unfortunately, you?re not going to be able to hook it up on the LAN port because the InfoLink is a USB-like connector, and not the traditional network cable. Hardwire would not be a problem straight from the router, but I see that you don?t want to do that.

So without doing that, your best bet is to get an InfoLink Stick, and then wirelessly transmit that to your current router. The InfoLink doesn?t take a substantial amount of bandwidth, so I doubt you?d have a problem hooking it up to your current hardware.

Best,

Mr. Samsung

Collapse -
I'm not sure you understood the question about using PS3
by miketrutt / August 21, 2008 3:51 AM PDT

Dear Mr. Samsung,

I too am trying to find a way to connect to infolink, and I was interested in this question about using the PS3, since I have a similar setup. I'm not sure that your answer addressed his question.

I think that danger355 was asking whether he could connect the samsung to his PS3 using an Ethernet cable (he mentions "the unused LAN port on the back of the PS3"). Then, could he use the PS3 to connect to his home router?

I'm trying to find a similar solution because my router is on a different floor from my TV, making it impracticle to run an Ethernet cable that distance. And as you probably know, the infolink wireless adapter is not available for purchase anywhere.

Thanks for any advice on this.

- Mike

Collapse -
I'd guess no...
by Mr__S / August 21, 2008 11:38 AM PDT

Ahh, I see what you?re saying. It wouldn?t damage anything to give it a shot. Although, considering InfoLink?s limited interface with its intended InfoLink Stick?s direct gateway, I don?t think it will work unless the PS3 has a separate IP address assigned to that port. It wasn?t necessarily designed to do that, and it?s a First Generation feature. I?m also unsure (and not able to readily find out) if the PS3 can be used as a server.

One of my fellow employees has a lot of experience configuring InfoLink, and he said "I?d make a friendly wager on no?, but that of course is underestimating the creativity of people to find solutions.

The real test is if anyone has tried it and got it to work successfully. If you can, by all means, post it here.

I might also note that the InfoLink ?shortage? is a temporary issue. We are in the process of making more available, and I will make an announcement when they are available. I apologize for not mentioning that earlier.

Best,

Mr. Samsung

Collapse -
Tried this once...
by danger355 / August 22, 2008 2:11 AM PDT
In reply to: I'd guess no...

I actually tried physically hooking up a cable from the TV's LAN port to the PS3's LAN port a little bit before I posted the original question, but it didn't work

Of course, my settings were probably completely wrong. I'm ok at the basic setup of networks, but go any deeper than tightening security settings and it becomes Greek to me.

For my next try, I'll try and use the Proxy Server menu in the PS3, maybe along with a Type 2 cable... maybe that'll work.

Wish me luck

Collapse -
How about a second router?
by miketrutt / August 22, 2008 2:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Tried this once...

Good luck, Danger.

The other thing i've been wondering about is how about using a second router as a wireless hub/repeater? This is something I've been meaning to try anyway in order to strengthen the signal on the first floor of my house (the floor without the modem and the main router). I've never tried this, but I believe a router can act as a hub, and since it's wireless too, it would essentially be a repeater. Assuming that I can get that set up correctly, then there would be no reason that I couldn't plug the samsung into one of the Ethernet ports on the secondary router. So...wish me luck too.

I'm reluctant to start playing with the PS3 (since I only use it as a blu-ray player, I have no idea how its other functions work), but I'm curious to hear your results.

Please report back here, and I'll do the same.

- Mike

Collapse -
Should work
by danger355 / August 23, 2008 3:03 AM PDT

I've tried doing this also. I searched around the web and ran across a site that has open source firmware for the LinkSys WRT54G, which I have. There are also how-to's on making it a dedicated repeater using this firmware. The problem is you need two wireless routers for this to work (one near the modem and one for the tv). I broke down a while ago after originally trying to use the PS3 as a bridge and bought another wireless router, and upgraded the WRT54G with the opensource firmware, but haven't been able to get this to work either, which again is probably my fault. I have a feeling it's just me mis-translating the settings from default to what I'm using.

I really think this would be the easiest way to go, and I'll give it another whirl today.

I know how you feel about messing with the PS3 - I'd much rather replace a $30 router than a $500 console

Collapse -
Success!
by danger355 / August 25, 2008 4:31 AM PDT

Ok, I finally got the dual-router setup working.

Primary Router is hooked to my Cable Modem, and the second is behind my TV and linked via wireless to my Primary Router.

I can even open setup pages for both Routers from my desktop to make any changes.

Mr. Samsung - are we allowed to post external links/sites? I'd like to put up how this is all done so others could skip the headache I went through

Collapse -
Congrats! Yes, please share details.
by miketrutt / August 25, 2008 5:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Success!

Nice job! That's exactly what I've been meaning to try. I've had a slight delay as we re-arrange the living room. Please share any details you can.

- Mike

Collapse -
go for it...
by Mr__S / August 30, 2008 3:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Success!

Danger355,

By all means!

That?s fine with me, as long as those sites are appropriate ? and if you don?t mind answering follow-up questions. I just can?t provide support for that information.

Keep in mind that anyone who decides to download or use additional programs, particularly open-source firmware, does so at their own risk. I say that as a general precaution for any open-source update, including this one.

Regards,

Mr. Samsung

Collapse -
How To:
by danger355 / August 25, 2008 7:46 AM PDT

I used my older WRT54G v 2.0 and installed the open source firmware from http://www.dd-wrt.com (this site has firmware for LOTS of routers though, not just the one I happen to have. see http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices ).

Once the firmware is installed (see http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Installation ) there is a tutorial on using the open source firmware to use the router as a wireless bridge (see http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Bridge ).

I would always get stuck spinning my tires when following the tutorial above though, but feel free to give it a try - or just try what I did (after flashing the firmware of course):

I'll try to give generic directions:
Primary Router (hooked up directly to Cable Modem):
**Note that there should be very few - if any - changes to your primary router settings**
~Has a standard Security/IP setup, we'll say WPA Personal Security Mode, TKIP Encryption, and an IP of 192.168.1.1.
~Enable the DHCP Server and give it a range of however many IP addresses you wish. I'll use 10 for this example, starting with 192.168.1.2 and ending with 192.168.10.11.
~SSID Broadcast must be "ON".

My Secondary Router Setup - I'll call this the Bridge from now on:
~Make the IP address of the Bridge the first IP address in your DHCP Server range of the Router (192.168.1.2 in this example).
----If you plan on using the Bridge as another wireless access point, then simply enable the DHCP Server on this also, and give it a (different!) range of IP addresses.
~Under the "Status > Wireless": click "Site Survey". A list of all visible wireless networks will pop up in a new window. Click "Join" (you may have to scroll to the right...) on your network.
----This will automatically change pretty much all settings to what they should be - the only thing I had to do (if I remember correctly) manually was change "Wireless Mode" from "Client" to "Client Bridge" under "Wireless > Basic Settings".
~Just to be safe, make sure your SSID, Wireless Network Mode, Security Mode, Shared Key, etc match your Primary Routers Settings

MAC address info: Any devices (PSP, Laptop, etc.) that you will be connecting to the web through the Bridge may also need their MAC Addresses input into the Bridge's MAC Address Filter.

Last, the tutorial says to check the "Assign WAN Port To Switch" box under "Setup > Basic Setup". I do not have this checked and am fully functional.

Hope this helps. Any questions can probably be answered somewhere on the dd-wrt.com site. Or post them here and I'll be glad to help.

Collapse -
Amendment:
by danger355 / August 25, 2008 8:11 AM PDT
In reply to: How To:

Looks like the DHCP Server on the Bridge is disabled in "Client Bridge" mode.

Please disregard the second line under the Bridge Setup:

"----If you plan on using the Bridge as another wireless access point, then simply enable the DHCP Server on this also, and give it a (different!) range of IP addresses."

Collapse -
Thanks!
by miketrutt / August 25, 2008 10:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Amendment:

Thanks Danger. I'll try to give this a shot over the weekend.

I'll report back...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.