Computer Help forum

General discussion

Using Onboard Audio as a reciever

by lelfman / January 10, 2007 9:18 AM PST

Hey there, just looking for some help. I have a Nforce 3 (MSI K8N Neo) and it has Realtek 97' onboard audio which support 7.1 audio along with optical input and coaxial input also. I have Z5300, and i have my Xbox 360 connected to my 21' inch LCD Samsung (widescreen) via VGA cable. I would like to use 5.1 audio, and was wondering if i could go about getting an optical cable, connecting it to the Xbox 360 and running it to my Mobo and letting my soundcard doing the emulation and bouncing it back to my Xbox 360. My PC should be able to handle it if its CPU intensive (Athlon 64, 3400+, 4GB Ram). Let me know if this setup will work or if i will need to invest in an aftermarket reciever.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Using Onboard Audio as a reciever
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Using Onboard Audio as a reciever
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You sure?
by jackson dougless / January 10, 2007 9:41 AM PST

VERY few sound cards, outside of those aimed at professionals, have any kind of optical or coaxial INPUTS. It's far more common for them to have optical and/or coaxial OUTPUTS. I would absolutely double check that those are indeed input ports. And actually go and check the documentation and search on Google, not just say that it is because you think you read it somewhere.

That all being said, unless Microsoft dramatically improved the audio processor on the 360 over the original Xbox, the 5.1 audio is not worth the bother. It promises the world, and delivers a small third world country. It's just upmixed Pro Logic II (stereo + LFE) or stereo, and it tends to drown out the center channel which is used for vocals. Given the amount of space that would be required on a game disc for discreet 5.1 channeling, it's only going to happen on PlayStation 3 exclusive titles on Blu-Ray discs for the foreseeable future. If Microsoft releases a new version of the 360 with the HD-DVD drive replacing the standard DVD drive it has now... Maybe. Not that it would do you any good unless you bought a new unit.

Even with an after market receiver, I don't really see this working out like you're imagining it. I'd save my money if I were you. Or if you do get an after market receiver, make sure you have some uses for it other than your 360.

Collapse -
thnx
by lelfman / January 11, 2007 11:19 AM PST

Thnx for the help. I think it was Input. I was looking to do a software emulation of it. But i can understand if it cant be done. I have a PS3 also, but that is hooked up the main TV with the HDMI cable (giving us that beautful Blu Ray quality and 5.1 on our 1080p TV) and was hoping i could do something for my office for the Xbox 360. If not, thats alright, i can always unplug it and hook it up to our main TV. My speakers can do emulated 5.1, but i think they also sound drowned out, so maybe they were accurate...

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!