Computer Help forum

Question

using older cassette deck with laptop and audacity

by DVATERS / March 10, 2015 1:04 AM PDT

Hello My name is Debbie

I was hoping if someone could help me. I have an older stereo with no working speakers. but i do have line in and line out I was just wondered if there was any way could i hook up an old cassette stereo to a flat screen tv and my laptop using rca cables.to have the sound coming out from my tv, and record the cassette from audacity.. there is no line option in audacity. i am using windows 8 on a laptop.
Any Help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: using older cassette deck with laptop and audacity
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: using older cassette deck with laptop and audacity
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Line in?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 10, 2015 1:26 AM PDT
Collapse -
Answer
I am not clear as to why you have to...
by Oldartq / March 10, 2015 5:33 AM PDT

go through the tv? You have a line-in connection on the laptop? If so, why not just line-out (cassette) to line-in (laptop)? Or you mean "sound coming from the tv" as in tv speaker? I am just a bit puzzle or maybe I am just not familiar with audacity.

Collapse -
Answer
re Using older cassette deck with laptop and audacity
by DVATERS / March 10, 2015 9:47 AM PDT

I lined-out cassette deck to line-in (laptop
, but the sound still comes out through my computer speakers and not the tv speakers and the sound is very horrible

Collapse -
Sounds like a setup issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 10, 2015 10:07 AM PDT

As to the horrible sound the LINE IN signal is easy to overpower. Drop the volume on the player.

Remember this has been kicked around thousands of times in the Audacity forum. But here's the rub, I've yet to find the settings to be the same or in the same place across 2 PCs. Keep fiddling.
Bob

Collapse -
My goodness, I am really confused now.
by Oldartq / March 10, 2015 4:29 PM PDT

What's your objective here? What are you try to accomplish here with your cassette music? Did you want to record it to the laptop, but you keep mentioning the tv?

Collapse -
Ussing cassetec deck with laptop and audicity
by DVATERS / March 11, 2015 12:46 AM PDT

I want the sound portion of my cassette deck hook hooked up to my tv so i can listen to the cassette
deck through my internal tv speakers, and hooked it to my laptop line in port so audacity will recognize it as a a line in so i can maunally record the cassette to my pc.

Collapse -
Re: TV
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 11, 2015 12:55 AM PDT

The usual TV doesn't have input for audio, only for video. So that won't work.

The better route is:
- cassette recorder to audio-in of laptop
- hdmi-out of laptop to hdmi-in of TV (with the sound output set to hdmi)

While the sound is on the laptop you can record it.
Most TV's don't have very good sound. Connecting a good speaker set to the audio out of your laptop should result in better sound.

Kees

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!