PC Applications forum

General discussion

USING NORTON GHOST 2003 WITH SCSI FAILURE NOTICE

by captvancouver / March 28, 2008 5:54 PM PDT

I am using windows 2000 OS AND GHOST2003. I am trying to ghost my OS drive in my recently acquired computer, which has the following specs.
Board: 775Dual-880Pro 1.00
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. P1.10 08/04/2005
2.80 gigahertz Intel Pentium D
16 kilobyte primary memory cache
1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache
Maxtor 6 V160E0 SCSI Disk Device (160.04 GB) -- drive 0
Standard floppy disk controller
Primary IDE Channel [Controller]
Secondary IDE Channel [Controller]
VIA Bus Master IDE Controller
VIA SATA RAID Controller
VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller
VIA USB Universal Host Controller

I always use ghost from a floppy boot, since I think it is a lot safer
in my expereince.

I tried to make a ghost floppy disk, trying both a PC dos floppy and MS dos, but neither will boot up. I get the following messages:
ASP 12 DOS. SYS INSTALLATION FAILED
ASP 14 DOS. SYS INSTALLATION FAILED
ASP 15 DOS. SYS INSTALLATION FAILED
HOST ADAPTOR AT PORT 340 FAILED DIAGNOSTIC

I have used ghost a lot before in older computers with IDE disks,but don't really think I know what I am doing here.
I never tried to ghost from a never a SCSI disk and wonder if this may be the problem.Any help much appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: USING NORTON GHOST 2003 WITH SCSI FAILURE NOTICE
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: USING NORTON GHOST 2003 WITH SCSI FAILURE NOTICE
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
And what is the issue?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 28, 2008 10:59 PM PDT

Dos always emitted such messages. Since you don't have a scsi drive or controller, why fix this?

Bob

Collapse -
As usual Bob is correct.... most are merely
by VAPCMD / March 29, 2008 2:20 AM PDT

messages for device drivers not loaded/installed because the applicable ASPI device or version of the device was not found. You can either ignore them or remove them from the CONFIG.SYS on the floppy.

Question is does Ghost work ? Are you using MS-DOS or PC-DOS ?

VAPCMD

Collapse -
scsi error messages ghost
by captvancouver / March 29, 2008 4:23 AM PDT

I didn t know that. The issue then, I guess , is why doesn t my ghost 2003 work on my new computer. It works fine on my old computer, which is also running windows 2000.
In making a floppy disk, the ghost window allows me to choose between
having the ghost program make either a msdos floppy disk or a pcdos floppy disk. I tried both, and , in both, after a bunch of error messages as described, my floppy drive gets the hiccups, and goes into an endless grind.
(I might add, and I don t know if it is relevant, that when I tried to install the drivers , the driver cdrom disk on reboot, after I installed th drivers, gave me a message"Welcome to the Freedos program, etc. Bsically I was corralled to install the "freedos", which locked me out of my machine for awhile. I assumed it was a virus and eventually I recovered,(I don t know how), and copied the drivers files from the disk to my hardrive, and installed them from there, without running the disk from bootup).

Collapse -
That's more telling than your first post.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 29, 2008 4:53 AM PDT

The issue of SATA support in that Ghost is the usual complaint. You can use G4U to clone the drive if you want.
Bob

Collapse -
THANKS BOB
by captvancouver / March 29, 2008 7:21 AM PDT

I guess you have put the finger on the problem and put me on the right track. I will try to use alternative methods to clone,including the one you have mentioned.

Thanks again

Keith

Collapse -
It must depend ....but it's worked on every system
by VAPCMD / March 29, 2008 12:10 PM PDT

I've tried it on except one...and that was strictly IDE. And it worked on twp systems with with SATA HDDs.

VAPCMD

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.