Question

Using non-high definition cable and services

I want to buy my first flat screen TV, but the standard TV cable was cemented into the slab (about 5 years ago), under the flooring, and cannot be changed.

Can I buy a non-HD TV somewhere? I'm looking for a 40"-42" LCD/LED set with good speakers (no home audio system for me), 1080 resolution, and really good picture quality. I don't want all the smart features, internet capability,3-D, gaming, etc.

What's my best bet?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Using non-high definition cable and services
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Using non-high definition cable and services
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
As you suspect. Maybe OK.

My new cable box used the same RG6 or RG59/U cables so if you used that, then you only need to replace the decoder box and viola.

I'm surprise your provider didn't answer that.

About the speakers though. Tough break. I would not call such good even in a high end TV. Example follows at link.
http://www.panasonic.com/business/Plasma/3D/3D-Plasma-TH-152UX1.asp

Not a word on the speakers.
Bob

- Collapse -
Thanks, Bob - more info

I actually didn't discuss it with my cable provider. The clerk at HH gregg appliance store said that without the proper HD cable and HD service the picture quality wouldn't be as good.

Another thing I saw with all the plasma, LCD and LED tv's at the store. Where the subject matter on the screen consisted of a large, solid mass of color I could pick out the square/rectangular pixels twinkling about. Never noticed this on my tube TV.

I can't believe this would be acceptable to people shelling out $1,000. or more for a TV. Yes/No? Drove me crazy!
Denice

- Collapse -
Even back then, 40 to 42 inch tubes were rare.

So you wouldn't see the ratty signals as magnified as they are today. If you are seeing squares and such, it's usually not HD and you find the person within a few feet of the screen.

Plasma and the twinkles are widely reported at low light levels. LCD fairs a little better at this. But we are digressing a little. The clerks at stores are often little more than vending machines. My question would be to those that supply your TV content.

Here I get pretty good HD over the air and for the internet stuff I use Amazon video and more.
Bob

- Collapse -
Answer
Using non-high definition cable and services

The quality of the picture depends on how good the signal going into the "old" cable is, of course the shop is going to try to sell you as much as possible, for as high a price as they can get you to pay ......... What was the picture like on your old TV, clear and crisp, or snowy or what?

donhe7

CNET Forums