Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Using NAS to stream media to ps3 and laptop/what router?

by VooDuuChild / June 21, 2010 8:12 AM PDT

Total networking newbie here. That aside; I have a My Book 2TB World Edition II which I purchased for basically music, videos and pics only. I purchased this one specifically as it said that it would stream videos to my PS3 (and I gotta smokin deal on it). I've read that I'll need to format it to FAT32 (whatever that is) for the PS3 to recognize it. I also want to be able to stream stuff to my laptop wirelessly too. I also don't have high speed internet as it's so expensive where I live (dsl and cable internet not available here) if that matters. What I need is a good/fast router that won't bottleneck when I'm tryin to wirelessly stream to my ps3 (via dlna, whatever that is) and to my laptop. It would also be nice, but not necessary, that it be easy to setup. Also, once the NAS is set to FAT32, will my laptop be able to read it too? I basically am turning the NAS into a media station for all my media needs; just accessed wirelessly....tips, tricks, tips??? Oh yeah, the router will probably be in the same room as the PS3 and one room and wall away from my laptop....until we move, hahaha. Any opinions on good routers for this application? Anyone already doing this with their PS3????

Laptop is an Aspire 5315-2153 on Vista Basic
Intel Celeron processor 530
1.73 GHz, 533 MHz, 1MB L2 Cache
Up to 252MB Mobile Intel GraphicsMedia Accelerator X3100
1GB DDR2
802.11b/g WLAN

PS3 is 80gig fat

NAS is 2TB My Book World Edition II

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Using NAS to stream media to ps3 and laptop/what router?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Using NAS to stream media to ps3 and laptop/what router?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Something's a miss here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 21, 2010 8:18 AM PDT

All the NAS I used from my PCs or 360 didn't care what the underlying file system was. The file on the NAS was sent over and the PC/360 just can't know if it's on a FAT or other file system.

So if your unit is the unit at http://www.legitreviews.com/article/998/1/ can you reveal why you would change the file system?
Bob

Collapse -
by VooDuuChild / June 21, 2010 9:54 AM PDT

yeah, that's the NAS I'll be using. I have to make it a FAT32 as the PS3 won't recognize otherwise. It kinda sucks though as I'll be limited to 4 gigs per file (at least that's what I read about FAT32's).

Collapse -
That's news to me.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 21, 2010 10:10 AM PDT
In reply to: .

I've heard of making USB drives FAT32 but never when it was on a NAS.

Can you ask whoever is telling you this? Something's not right.
Bob

Collapse -
hmmm
by VooDuuChild / June 21, 2010 10:40 AM PDT
In reply to: That's news to me.

I read it over on some of the PS3 forums....maybe I'm mistaken; I'll have to search or post a question over there. My brain is fried from hours of searching to make sure I get a good/the right router.

Collapse -
Let's try simple.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 21, 2010 9:20 PM PDT
In reply to: hmmm

USB drive direct connect to PS3 = FAT32.

NAS drive over a network = You can use any file system.

Hope that clears it up.
Bob

Collapse -
sounds great!
by VooDuuChild / June 22, 2010 3:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Let's try simple.

...now I just need to find a good/fast router that doesn't take a degree in computer science to setup, haha.

Collapse -
That's me.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 22, 2010 3:27 AM PDT
In reply to: sounds great!

I have the usual Netgear units like this WRN2000 and have some other 3500 I'll replace it with next month. The trouble is here that I might know too much. What can stop a person cold is not an issue for me. If I see an option I may try it and learn from the experiences. Others want to read a document or a "step by step." I used that RESET BUTTON on the router a few times as I tried it all.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?