PC Applications forum

General discussion

Using multiple pop up blockers

Can using muliple pop up blockers work better or worse. Im using the blockers supplied with the new internet explorer sp2, google toolbar, ad-watch. And of course I still get some popups. Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on the subject. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Using multiple pop up blockers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Using multiple pop up blockers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Using multiple pop up blockers

In reply to: Using multiple pop up blockers

I have no blockers installed but allow no SPYWARE and use Firefox or Mozilla most of the time.

If you allow SPYWARE on your machine, then no blocker known will stop such popups. The safe and free SPYWARE killers are at http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407

In closing, if you use IE, then you will continue to leave the door open to common SPYWARE. It is that simple today.

Bob

Collapse -

Sounds like a lot of trouble to go through keep them out. Unless you must use IE, you might consider another browser such as Firefox. I haven't seen a popup in ages.

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Using multiple pop up blockers

Thanks for the suggestions, I've heard of firefox, must give it a try. I was really questioning if multiple pop up blockers cancel each other out, or if they can work together, ie more is better.? And which one is the primary blocker if multiple blockers are installed. ?? thanks..

Collapse -
Re: Using multiple pop up blockers = ineffective.

In reply to: Re: Using multiple pop up blockers

Collapse -

Some of the new popups are created with Flash. Regular popup blockers won't stop them. I use Spyware Blaster which has a Flash blocker. It works. But it will also stop Flash programs that you may want to watch.

Good luck,

Telephony facts, analog/digital explained.
See the CNet faces behind the posts.

I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so

far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - - Stephen W. Hawking

Collapse -

Hi,

About using multiple popup blockers, I don't really recommend that the SP2 blocker is enough although it doesn't block every popup. No popup blocker can.
So i recommend that you stick to the one that came with SP2

Collapse -

steve,

If you want the best solution I would dump that Internet Exploiter 6 and switch to Mozilla Firefox

http://www.mozilla.com

It comes with a built-in pop-up blocker and provides a sleu of other browsing tools that IE just does not. You can browse using a tabbed interface, a built in Google web search, a quick "Page Search" (allows you to search for a certain word in the current page. Very Helpful!)

The best part is, I believe, that Mozilla is the OpenSource program that all the major browsers are based upon, so all plug-ins and extensions you use with IE should work in Firefox.

I will tell you this, I have been using Mozilla Firefox since the beginning of this year and i will never go back to any of the others. Plus I have not had one pop-up since I started using it. I even tested it on the worst pop-up sights too.

Happy Browsing

Agent J

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.