PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Using laptop Broadband TV w/o my Dish Network Reciever?

by tegaderm / April 25, 2008 6:08 AM PDT

hello members!
i would like to view Broadband tv from my laptop on my TV. My TV is PC/TV compatable. however, do still need the reciever form my Dish Network? i want to get rid of it d/t increase price. also, one tv/pc supports HDMI/VGA/DVI/S-Video (Viewsonic). TV #2 supports RGB Video Output & RS-232 Connector.
what cables do i need for each TV? Do i Require the Dish Reciever for the Broadband?
i'm so confused.
i appreciate your help
thx

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Using laptop Broadband TV w/o my Dish Network Reciever?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Using laptop Broadband TV w/o my Dish Network Reciever?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: receivers
by Kees Bakker / April 25, 2008 6:27 AM PDT

Well, you surely need something to receive the broadcasted signal.

That's either a dish (to receive satellite) or a DVB-T (terrestial digital signal) antenna. Or your local cable company. Or possibly your ADSL-connection offers digital TV. We don't know, but you can check what's available where you live. For HD (high definition) there might be less options than for SD (standard definition).

What do your friends, colleagues and family have? That's a good sign.

I'm confused about you mentioning your laptop here. What is it's role? Any receiver or antenna can be coupled directly to a TV.

Kees

Collapse -
Broadband
by tegaderm / April 25, 2008 8:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: receivers

hello Kees,
thx for the info. my broadband connection is via my laptop(AT&T Broadband TV)wil be then slaved to TV.
thx

Collapse -
It's nice to save money, but...
by ahtoi / April 26, 2008 3:03 AM PDT

I think you should be clear on what AT&T can provide you before you cancel your dishnetwork. As for connections to the TV or monitor, it's a different issue. So one thing at a time.

I don't know much about at&t broadband but are you getting all you want from at&t on your laptop now..and satisfied with it?

Collapse -
broadband
by tegaderm / April 26, 2008 5:43 AM PDT

Ahtoi,
thx for the response. AT&T does not offer the service in my area. so, that solves my problem. however, would still like to know what cables i need for each tv to slave laptop to my 2 TV's?
thx
have a good one

Collapse -
Re: cables.
by Kees Bakker / April 26, 2008 5:51 AM PDT
In reply to: broadband

That depends on both the laptop outbound video connections and the TV inbound video connections. So please tell all about that.

Kees

Collapse -
RE;
by ahtoi / April 26, 2008 9:33 AM PDT
In reply to: broadband

Hdmi, vga, rgb, and dvi are certainly the right connections on the TV side. Now all you have to do is match that to your laptop.

Another way (more expensively) would be doing it wirelessly. A few box comes to mind (Apple tv, slingbox, DSM330 by I/O gear..I think).

Collapse -
Broadband
by tegaderm / April 26, 2008 12:49 PM PDT
In reply to: RE;

thx Kees & Ahtoi,
i have two wireless laptops. both support HDMI,S-video/RGA.
i bought at the suggestion of a sales rep @ Comp USA a DSM-510(D-LINK)
however, he must have misunderstood me, from what gather this type DSM is for games,video,photo's only. of course, i opebed it and is non-returnable. no use for it now!!!!
AT&T offers U-Verse enabling one to record tv shows,etc, but it's not available here. that would work for me. i could get rid of the Dish. the Dish has many useless channels(i'm on lower end package) and shows the same shows over and over.
Ahtoi, i'll check your wireless suggestions, that's what i need. i found one for $295.00 called "InternetVue 2100" by Add logix, but out of my budget at this time, maybe later.
does anyone have any knowledge of MSN TV?
thx for the f/u ressponse guys. much appreciated.

Collapse -
AS far as I know, MSN-TV is...
by ahtoi / April 26, 2008 5:50 PM PDT
In reply to: Broadband

more about using your tv set to surf the net (no computer required).

Verizon's FiOS is like U-Verse tv. Check to see if that's available in your area yet.

http://www22.verizon.com/content/FiOSTV/

To tell you the truth, I personally don't think they are that much cheaper than other services (cable/satellite).

Collapse -
broadband
by tegaderm / April 27, 2008 12:44 AM PDT

Ahtoi,
will do. thx. you'r probably right about that

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?