Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Using Junctions (MS's answer for symbolic links) in XP

by Ck87.JF / June 30, 2008 6:00 AM PDT

The article:
http://derekslager.com/blog/posts/2007/03/emulating-vistas-user-directory-structure-on-xp.ashx

An article I read has provided much information, much thought, and if what's suggested works, would be brilliant for my setup. However, in testing, I've had issues.
I realize that XP doesn't fully realize the potential of symbolic links, and thus is kinda weird, but I was wondering if someone could solve a quandary I had. When I attempt to delete a folder inside of a folder, using the symbolically linked folder, it creates problems. For instance:

*junction "h:\docz" "c:\docs"
-This will create a symbolic link in h:\ showing a folder called "docz" that is linked to the "docs" folder in c:

*I open up h:\docz, and create several new text documents.
-I delete one document, sending it to the recycle bin, it disappears from both 'real' and 'linked' folders
-I restore the document from the recycle bin, and it's restored to both folders
-I delete it again, holding shift this time, press enter, and it's gone from both folders, never to be seen again.
-Expected behavior.

*With h:\docz open, I create a few folders.
-I attempt to delete the folder (no shift), and after a period of delay, I get an error, "Cannot delete New Folder: Access is denied."
-Nothing else is accessing the folder, in any way, and in fact:
-If I open the folder, c:\docs and delete the "New Folder" it will be sent to the recycle bin without problems.
-I delete the folder using shift, and it goes away with only one warning that it won't come back, and then it's gone.

My main problem is with the the problem stated about not being able to delete the folder. Might someone be able to shed some light on that?
I'd like to be able to use junctions as closely as possible to being real folders and files, but if I can't send folders to the recycle bin, but instead use force delete, then I'm not sure that's an option I can live with.

Thanks for any help you can provide! Happy

-Chris.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Using Junctions (MS's answer for symbolic links) in XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Using Junctions (MS's answer for symbolic links) in XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Don't go into the tarpit.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 30, 2008 6:23 AM PDT

We rarely see people come back.

Collapse -
tarpit?
by Ck87.JF / June 30, 2008 6:47 AM PDT

are you saying don't use junctions?
sorry, I'm not much for symbolism

Collapse -
We had this fellow.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 30, 2008 6:54 AM PDT
In reply to: tarpit?

At the office work for weeks trying to get this to do "something I really need." He's no longer with us. Not that it matters but it wasn't pretty as he lost the entire machine a few times. Sorry to say that I think we should just ignore this feature.

Collapse -
(NT) okay, thanks for the suggestion
by Ck87.JF / June 30, 2008 7:00 AM PDT
In reply to: We had this fellow.
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.