Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

using folders in creative zen nano plus

I recently purchases a zen nano plus and loaded music from my windows media player, that I had accumulated. When I use the scroller it shows that the songs are in the "root." I am concerned that I won't be able to max out the 1gb capacity unless I create folders. If this is true, how do I fix the problem?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: using folders in creative zen nano plus
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: using folders in creative zen nano plus
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes you need to create a folder

In reply to: using folders in creative zen nano plus

You're right, you need to make a folder. I have about 3 of these now and when I worked with the first one I could only get about 500 to 600megs on it before it said it was full. Despite Windows explorer saying 400+megs were free. I contacted support and received dumb answers like I need to flash the firmware. I did, it didn't help because it was not the solution.

The numbers are fuzzy because it seemed to be affected by how long the titles were, ie how many characters in the name, tag info etc. The Root folder can only contain so much data... which in fact is less than the 1gig capacity. The solution is to create folders. Folders do not have that limitation. Then within any folder you can max out your capacity if you want to. My gut feeling is that this goes back to the old DOS days.

To make a folder, use Windows Explorer, highlight your Zen Nano on the tree on the left. Then from the menu above select File, New, Folder and then name it. For my needs I make a music folder and a book folder, or two. At Christmas time added a 4th folder and put all my Xmas music in there.

Let me know if you need more direct information.

Mike

Collapse -
Actually you need to use Creative Media Organizer

In reply to: Yes you need to create a folder

I tried to create folders using Windows Explorer in my Nano plus and they didn't read them. Then I used Creative Media Organizer and it worked fine.

Collapse -
Folder created with...

In reply to: Actually you need to use Creative Media Organizer

Speaking strickly for the Zen Nano and Zen Nano Plus, I believe the visability of folders is not dependant on what was used to create them. Rather, the Nano will NOT show the folder until something is in it. (and it will also NOT show nested folders, at least not for me yet) So if you create it with Win Explorer and leave it empty, and then check the Nano, it will not appear. If you put even one track into it, the folder will then appear. I only use Creative Media Source when I have to. I don't dislike it, its just that for most things I use W.E. It will create folders and let me drag and drop all I want. I do use CMS to re-rip MP3 tracks from my Library of stuff into WMA tracks just so they will take up less room on the Nano.

Just my 2-cents

Mike

Collapse -
creating folders in zen nano plus

In reply to: Folder created with...

You've given me useful information. I plan on deleting everythig in the root as I was told this is necessary, and then creating folders with cms. thank you.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.